May 16th, 2010

Metal rocker Ronnie James Dio has died, wife says

Heavy metal rocker Ronnie James Dio died Sunday morning after a battle with stomach cancer, his wife announced.

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. 16th May," Wendy Dio said in a message posted on his official website.

Dio, 67, followed Ozzy Osbourne as Black Sabbath's lead vocalist in 1979.

"Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away," she wrote. "Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all."

Born Ronald James Padavona in 1942, Dio's professional music career began as a high school student in the late 1950s.

His 1960s rock group The Electric Elves evolved into Elf by the early 1970s, when the group played heavy blues rock.

Dio's rock became darker with his band Rainbow, which he left in 1979 to join Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath released three albums with Dio, including "Heaven and Hell" in 1980, "Mob Rules" in 1981 and "Live Evil" in 1982.

Dio left that band in 1982, but he had a brief reunion with the group a decade later. He formed the group Dio in 1982. The group continued to perform until his illness.

His last public appearance was in April at the Revolver Golden Gods  Awards when he accepted a vocalist of the year award his work on last  year's Heaven and Hell album. Dio appeared frail, but he was able to  speak when accepting his award.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. John (Greece)

RIP... Your music shall live on and on and on... its heaven and hell...

May 17, 2010 at 7:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Bill Schacht

The KING OF METAL. R.I.P. (rock in peace).

May 17, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jimbo

Now God has his voice back. Such a beautiful, powerful voice from such a small frame. See you on the other side, Ron. Thank you for all the beautiful music.

May 17, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Fred H

See you on the other side!!!!! RIP RJD \m/

May 17, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jesse Alvarado

Heaven's All-star ROCK N ROLL band has a new lead singer – Ronnie James Dio. Can you all imagine the sweet sounds verberating in Heaven right now – Dio, Rhodes, Hendrix, Bonham, Entwistle, and on and on... My memories of RJD are forever imbedded, I will never forget my introduction to this metal phenom when I first saw him take the stage in front of Sabbath for the MOB RULES tour. From that moment, I was a permanent Dio fan, and will continue so as long as I breathe. We were blessed by GOD for experiencing his wonderful talent and charisma. Thank you Ronnie James Dio.

May 17, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Andy

Come on Dude 666 – you have no idea what you are saying. Forget about Ministers and churches and religion – try praying privately to Jesus – and he will open up the real deal for you. Then you will know why we worship Him. Jesus is real, but you have to knock. Don't judge Christianity by all those fake Christians – back in 85 I used be a serious metal head, and everything that had a touch of evil was good in my eyes, and it still gets me going when I hear those classics – try ACDC'S Hells Bells album – man when I hear any of those songs it just gets me going. But as a friend and not to criticize you – I had a really bad Satanic experience back then where a cloaked being came into my room as I slept and began trying or possess me. I called out or God and he stepped in and stopped it. I gave my life to Jesus the next day and I promise you Jesus shows you He is real in every way. So forget about TBN and those hairspray guys – make it personal – after all – that is what it is all about – a relationship with Jesus and being saved – not about if or if not listening to heavy metal is devil worship – it does not matter – if you are not saved -the devil will get you. Guaranteed!! :)
    ps – The Bible is the truth from start to finish – get saved and get reading – you won't believe how your life will change – it is unbelievable.
    Love all you guys and Ronnie will be missed.

May 17, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hey Pal

Hey Andy....were on here to pay last respects to Dio....not talk about what could have been ....Shut Up please!

May 17, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hey Pal

Ronnie James Dio as far as I'm concerned will always be the the Voice of real Metal ...with Ozzy Second!
    Ronnie for years was a fountain of creation and imagination in all of his music and Shows!
    For those who want to learn about a legend ...Go buy all the Dio Cd's Today and cherish them forever!
    God Speed To you Ronnie James Dio....Peace and Love you were a shining star for all to see....your music will always live on as a corner stone for all Future Metal Artist to take notes and learn from!
    A Icon in my view!
    I will not shed a tear but will cherish and celebrate Ronnie's wonderful life, and turn up his music in Honor of him today!

May 17, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Matthew Pavletich

Ronnie: you were a part of my life for 30 years. Your voice was one of the greatest ever, singing some of the greatest music ever made by human beings. Forget the obvious cliches: you WILL live forever - your music here and your soul out There.

May 17, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jk

RIP Ronnie. A Sad day. He will be missed by many... A true Rock voice and entertainer has left the building.

May 17, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Andy

Love all you guys and Ronnie will be missed.

May 17, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Rich

Ronnie you finally made it to the end of the Rainbow. RIP brother !!!

May 17, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sd

My heart is bleeding! R.I.P !

May 17, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. yod

the world is rid of another bearer of impurity. good riddance.

May 17, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. yod

andy, thats the biggest bunch of xtian clap-trap easy-salvation garbage i have heard in a long time. You arent even a solid xtian..... you preach your schtick..then you wish an evildoer well. fool. Thats what you get for following a dead man on a stick.

May 17, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Rockposer's Roulette

Sad sad news indeed, a true legend.

May 17, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse | Reply