May 16th, 2010

Volcanic ash forces two London airports to close Monday

[Updated at 7:00 p.m.] London's Gatwick Airport also announced late Sunday that no flights will operate out of the airport over a six-hour period early Monday due to an ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland. The affected flights are scheduled between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. local time, the same hours Heathrow plans to stop service.

[Posted at 6:34 p.m.] All flights going into and out of London's Heathrow Airport early Monday have been canceled due to a drifting ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland, a spokesman for the British Airports Authority told CNN late Sunday.

The affected flights are scheduled between 1 a.m. (8 p.m. Sunday ET) and 7 a.m. (2 a.m. ET), said BAA Heathrow spokesman Andrew Kirton.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. Jesus

wow dats ccrazay

May 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. dami

http://www.englishtips-self-taught.blogspot.com very nice website blog I love to access CNN this is a webblog with English tips, help to spread it overseas..

May 16, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robin Eising

I agree, especially now sounding selfish, but this news is affecting my up and coming travels that I have been waiting for, for so long. Not knowing is driving me crazy, although I truely understand the importance of safety.

May 17, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. abby

you guys should put on the dates on when it closed and when it will open....

May 16, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. turnerbroadcasting

The reality is that the volcanic activity could increase again – the whole iceland volcano eruption thing has been a pretty humbling experience for me. I hope we find a way to fly higher.

May 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Daniel

I work for Continental Airlines and we all hope this Volcano calms down forever we need to make sure our passangers are well taken care of

May 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mike ratcliffe

@mikeratcliffe follow me on Twitter – sitting at DC Dulles airport in limbo with flights cancelled ... Or not?

May 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. ali

bmi bd774 already departed from jeddah & riyadh to london heathrow.but still heathrow arrival showing bd774 is cancelled.i want a know flight where will arrive.

May 16, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Trudy

It could be a lot worse. It's companion could erupt and then we'd all be done in. Count your blessings. You will feel better.

May 16, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. danielle

my husband is in kuwait supposed to come home this week for R&R it is so helpfull because it is giving me the info i need
    thanks

May 16, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jim in Canada

Maybe we can ask BP to plug the hole or build something to hover over the volcano to collect the ash?

May 16, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Damião Carlos

How's the weather like nearby the Volcano eruption? And about the flight in Europe? May, 17th 2010.

May 17, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Damião Carlos

One more time, many thanks all for visit my webste blog, help me to spread it around the world. Change the subject is this event it's because the global warming effect? http://www.englishtips-self-taught.blogspot.com

May 17, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Brad

Have a shipment of perishables to Paris and the airlines told me they are affected too. Was Airport in CDG closed also?

May 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply