May 17th, 2010

High court rules for dad in international custody case

The Supreme Court has ruled for a British father seeking to regain custody of his son, who was taken by his mother from Chile to Texas, a dispute testing the power of federal courts to intervene when fights over children cross borders.

The justices, by a 6-3 vote, said Timothy Abbott, who is fighting to gain custody and the return of his son, has a right of custody to force the boy's return, after courts in Chile said the father had rights as a non-custodial parent.

At issue is the scope of an international treaty, and whether one country's court order preventing a child from being taken overseas by a parent represents "rights of custody" enforceable in the United States.

Monday's other Supreme Court rulings:

Court: Sentencing juveniles to life without parole 'cruel and unusual'

Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • Supreme Court
  1. ike

Texas treats fathers horrible

May 17, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mike D - Green Bay WI

This is almost the reverse of the case where the American dad was in court in Brazil. While I do not know the specifics fo the case, I think the court is right - the father is still the father and has the right to see his son unless there is clear evidence that there is potential or on-going abuse. It is all about respecting the rights of all parents.

May 17, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Steve Kowalewski

The court is right. Fathers should have all rights to their children. My ex-wife died in 2005 and I have been fighting an ongoing court battle for almost 5 years with the aunt and uncle for my own child. I have no criminal record and did nothing wrong but the courts seem to think that my ex-wife's sister has some sort of rights to my child. She has gone so far as to make false accusations of child abuse and molestation, which were unfounded and unsubstantiated because it never happened and continually tries every way possible to get my daughter taken from me. Her family has a lot of money and keeps me tied up in court and I am on a disability income. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Contact me at woodsman1032@yahoo.com. Thank you.

May 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Taylor Reid

the tv show American Dad is actually great.,"`

June 28, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Faith Foster

American Dad is a great TV show and i used to watched it on our local tv channel~~'

October 7, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Caramoan

oh well, American Dad is a nice tv series. my sixteen year old daughter just loves watching it .,`

December 4, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Dewayne Breitenbucher

Hello
    finaly I found what I was looking for

how did you guys found this information??thank you for your post I saw it on Google And I bookmarked it .I like. Please send me updates

July 13, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Danielle Shahid

Hey are using WordPress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

November 7, 2011 at 4:58 am | Report abuse | Reply