May 17th, 2010

Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

The Supreme Court ruled Monday the federal government has the power to indefinitely keep some sex offenders behind bars after they have served their sentences, if officials determine those inmates may prove "sexually dangerous" in the future.

"The federal government, as custodian of its prisoners, has the constitutional power to act in order to protect nearby (and other) communities from the danger such prisoners may pose," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the 7-2 majority.

Monday's other Supreme Court rulings:

Court: Sentencing juveniles to life without parole 'cruel and unusual'

High court rules for father in international child custody case

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • Supreme Court
  1. WhattheF***!

Am I or Did I read this correctly! If we start doing this to the worst of the worst of us, then we become who they are! Even if we are not doing what they did, this will make us acceptable to others who in my view can be helped. I believe our JUSTICES' NEED TO TO BE VETTED.....MORE!!!!! This action, as I have read from our more intuned readers, will have repurcussions that will reasonate around our country and ultimately the world! And I am sure that when it hits your HOME you will then see what we mean!

May 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. A Victim

Roger, that's why there are differently levels of offenders, and like I said, you'd be surprised exactly how many come out and say they'll do it again. It would turn your stomach.

May 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. When America Is Extreme

Good Ol' American Freedom!!!!!! Turning into a right wing puritanical paranoid society.......THANKS BECK!!! Your Nazi Germany is coming!!! Great News...YOU WIN!!!

May 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dems Are Panzies

Only on a Democratic controlled President, house, and senate would such a right wing republican issue get passed.

Dems are pointless!!! They do nothing, have zero backbone, and only care to get re-elected. At the least the Christian Right is passionate about their misconceptions thus resulting in crazy breaches of our Freedoms.

THis is also what happens when a state like AZ starts to trample citizens rights....FAIR GAME TO EVERYONE. I said it a month ago watch the liberties get stripped across the board now.

May 17, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chuck P

First, they came for the child molesters and locked them away forever without due process, and I said nothing. Then, they came for the murderers and locked them away forever without due process, and I said nothing. Then, they came for those who owned guns and locked them away forever without due process, then I said nothing. Then, they came for those who spoke out against the government and locked them away forever without due process, and I said nothing. Then, they came for me...

May 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dems Are Panzies

I sure hope you 16 yr. old female neighbor likes you and you do not make her mad..............

May 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jill American

Not surprised Thomas was against it. So what is Scalia hiding?

May 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Abortion Anyone

While we are at it Dems...lets go ahead and make abortion illegal to trample some of the women's rights. It seems like a good time.

We can get in one fail swoop:

Mexicans
    Males
    Females

Covers about everyone........

May 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Selling My House

I am selling my house. My neighbors include a 12yr. old girl and a 15 yr. old boy.

That is way too close for comfort for me. One of those kids will get me if I stay...I guess i need to find a place away from women and kids completely...we all know niether of those groups have ever falsely accused anyone!!! Sad day in America! It is not America anymore...it is a bunch of people pushing their ideals onto everyone else...which is exactly the result of the climate we are in...you should all be proud.

May 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rundelthratt

"it is a bunch of people pushing their ideals onto everyone else"

Sounds like the typical Christian methodology, to me. It dates back many hundreds of years. The thumbscrews and the rack may not be so much en vogue as they once were, but the principle is the same as it's ever been.

May 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Here is an idea

Quit dressing your 12 yr. olds like whoR3$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ohhh...the children

I am so sick of legislation for children.....BE A FRIGGIN PARENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea..I said it...your kid should never be abused. IF they are..you are not doing your job!! Research the parents they are staying at...be involved...know what is going on...quit sticking them in front a t.v. for "The Hills" to be the parent and then have some lil 12 yr. old ho00ker run around and then lock up people because you fail so miserably at parenting!!

Where are my "too much government" nutjobs now????????? Hypocrites!! To much government unless you like it!

May 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Don Quito

Can we waterboard them too. PLEASE...PRETTY PLEASE!

May 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Waxman

Sure! Water-boarding them will provide more intelligence to protect our freedom and out rights as Americans!

Who will be next?

May be, gays or Hispanics or Jews or Blacks or Liberals or Conservatives or the mentally retarded or Jehovah's Witnesses or even Mormons or fat people will be next.

May 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PlayaHata

Who decides if they are dangerous? The government? YIKES. That's dangerous.

May 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Land Of The Free

AMEN!!!

May 17, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SU

The amount of money it takes to keep a peodophile behind bars is huge, yet the money spent on a child in care isnt even comparable. The offender is often kept in relative luxury away from the other inmates and all this costs.
    Why then not even the odds. A choice, have the right to appeal and stay in general population, no luxury, just share a cell, or...sign this medical form and allow us treat you as we would any individual taking part in a medical trial, kept apart from genral pop and kept fit in relative luxury. Why test on an animal when you have the closest match to a human being in a peodophile who willingly consents. At last, a way to give back a little of what they took.

May 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SW

You guys are pretty disgusting.

May 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |