May 22nd, 2010

Priest accused of having 'erotic dungeon' surrenders

[Updated 12:15 p.m. ET]  A Polish-born priest accused of sexually abusing minors in his parochial residence in the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, has turned himself in, state officials said Saturday.

State security officials said Marcin Michal Strachanowski, 44, surrendered to authorities Friday night in the village of Realengo.

State Civil Police had issued a "preventative arrest" warrant against Strachanowski on Thursday. The priest is accused of handcuffing a minor in 2006 and forcing him to perform sexual acts at his home in the Divino Espirito Santo church in Rio de Janeiro's west zone, the officials said.

In a press statement, the Rio de Janeiro archdiocese said it has suspended Strachanowski from his duties and that in addition to the criminal inquiry, the church has called on a ecclesiastic tribunal to oversee a canonical trial.

"The archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro laments the incident, especially for the people involved, especially for the possible victims, and clarifies that the mentioned clergyman already finds himself suspended of his parochial functions," the statement said.

According to Brazil's Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper, the priest could not be found Friday morning.

The newspaper reported that a 16-year old alleged victim told investigators that after being frequently raped by the priest, he was forced to remain silent and was threatened regularly.

Citing court statements, the newspaper reported that criminal Judge Alexandre Abrahao Dias Teixeira said police investigations revealed the profile of a man with a "compulsive attraction to having sex with adolescents" and that he had allegedly turned his parish residence into an "erotic dungeon" where he forced boys to have sex with him.

Post by:
Filed under: Brazil • Church Abuse
soundoff (1,451 Responses)
  1. Murr

May 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sixoh

It's not supposed to be, but whenever humans are involved, they tend to screw up everything.

May 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Amen...for lack of a better word.

May 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Athiests dont look to anyone but themselves to solve problems. Its part of the nature of being an atheist. You pull yourself out. Just like when you fail. You cant blame something that doesnt exist for "making you do something". You only have yourself to blame.

May 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • lila

ALL religions are cults, basically. They prey on weak minded adults and innocent children.

May 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lila

oh and Tom too.

May 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Wong

Atheists believe in something bigger than themselves: it's called "human civilization". And unlike God, we can prove it exists.

May 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul Ronco

I grow weary of those who focus on the activities of a perverted few as being evidence of an absolute, inherent corruption in religion in all its forms. The fact is there are many men and women who have devoted their lives to peace and righteous activity within the framework of their religion just as there have been many men and women who have abused the name of religion for selfish reasons. Stop using religion as a straw man for explaining the transgressions of perverted mortal men and women, which, it should be noted by the way, religion specifically acknowledges and warns against.

May 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Wong

Tom, if you think atheist have "hubris" for not believing in anything that cannot be empirically detected, what word would you use to describe someone who insists that something must exist BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN IT? Now THAT is hubris: to believe that reality must literally conform to your beliefs.

May 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza4Breakfast

Daniel, there is no cake at the end of all of this. Organized religions are all man-made control mechanisms. Some of us have already figured that out and hopefully, you will, too. Honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of waiting for you.

May 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mathius

Athiests are the most miserable people I know. They lack hope, love, all they care for is themselves. Even goths are happier with life than they are. Have yet to meet one to prove me otherwise.

May 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza4Breakfast

Sorry, my reply above was meant for the first Tom. My apologies Daniel.

May 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza4Breakfast

Tom, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right. History is crammed with people that just go along for the ride rather than thinking for themselves. I pride myself for being the latter.

May 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Ego is all about not believing in something other than yourself. God has provided proof numerous times and people refuse to believe becasue it gets in the way of their childish selfishness to do what they want when they want. Proof is all around, stop and pray and meditate for more than a month or so and you may be surprised. You atheists are such miserable people and if I knew that my life could truly end any moment into nothingness I guess I would be like that too but I know my life goes on in love.

May 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • James M

is this Michael Wong from Tucson/Phoenix?

May 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muhammad (Poo Be Upon Him)

Aw at first I was sure Tom was being serious. Now it's just hilarious, haha aw well.

May 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza4Breakfast

Tom, the only ego I see here is you. Somehow, you think that you're THAT important to think that you can't possibly cease to exist after your last heartbeat so you try to come up with some kind of elaborate story to give yourself hope that you will continue on. I'm not buying it...I think for myself.

May 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

PIzza – its intersting what you said about thinking 4 yourself becaseu those who truly follow the Lord do not conform to followin ghte crowd. Many people go about their lives just following the world and those are the true sheeple. When you finally realize their is a greater purpose, the ways of the material world are quite secondary and you don't follow the crowd on anything.

May 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • paizlea

Mathius, then you haven't met me! I've been an atheist for many years, and I'm happier now than I've ever been. I am in awe of the complexity and beauty found in the natural world as we explore it through science. Why do I need a deity for that? All religion ever did for me was make me feel guilty for being human.

May 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Pizza – thinking for yourself is what we call "relying on your own understanding" As long as you continu to do that you will never make any efforts towards understanding true love. And as for Mohamed, a troller with nothing of substance to add I guess.

May 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • lego1234

"In the real world, atheists are too afraid to speak their vile becasue they know their intolerance would not be accepted"
      Isn't the above quote sort of evidence that Christians are also intolerant, since they refuse to accept anyone else's view?

May 21, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza4Breakfast

I have a purpose...a very nice one at that. However, I tend to stick with what's real an not imaginary. I can sense the "pity" you feel for me because of my position on this. Somehow, you think that I'm wrong because I lack the imagination to follow along with you. To each their own, really. Believe in what you want, just leave the rest of us out of it.

However, back to the point of the article, it's very sad that this happened. Just another person in power forcing themselves onto someone else.

May 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Faith does not make you feel; guilty. What things that people do that they shouldn;t be doing is what makes people feel guilty. It's liberating to know I'm living right and focusing on others besides myself and my faith holds me to a high standard and inspries me to do better.

May 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Lego – I accept the view as everyone has their own path to eternity but its the hatred I detest. So many of the atheist libs come on here and decry for an end to religion. Sorry, I am not going to just keep quiet when someone does that. Talk about intolerance.

May 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pickngrin

@Tom -
      You are referring to atheists as intolerant? Your credibility is shot down by that one comment. Tea, kettle, black.

May 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Pizza – I agree with your last post. See my previous post. People in power abuse it too much and daily and in every organization and we should decry that but not shout for an end to religion becasue a priest did it. With that logic we should ask for an end to all orgainzations becasue all of them have criminals in them – stupid logic.

May 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • paizlea

Tom, but do you need faith to hold yourself to high standards? I have no hope of eternal life, so I want what's best for me and the world now. I don't want to wait for a messiah to save the world – I believe humans can save themselves. We are beings of great intellect and emotion, and those alone will bring about improvement in the world.

May 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • tradewinds

This is for you, tom. Religion is like a powerful drug, highly addictive and used by the weak-minded to make themselves happy. If your god is so great and powerful and full of love, why don't you go to him/her now? Obviously, I am an Atheist. I don't need miracles, don't believe in them. My love comes from within. I don't hate anybody, not even you because i know you are weak and cannot help yourself.

May 21, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Tom, you're basically the one showing all of this hatred and intolerance. All of your posts have just been mindless attacks on anyone who doesn't share your religious beliefs. Yet, you haven't really mentioned the TOPIC OF THE ARTICLE, child abuse. So, I'm just going to assume that's one thing you are tolerant of!

May 21, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Pickgrin – intolerant – yes, check out posts by Murr and lila. You won't read in any of my posts calling for the destruction of any atheist groups.

May 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Atheists – check out the thread here with the original posting by Murr that all of oyu are replying to. Murr's intolerance, combined with all of yours are the reason we are having these discussions. Don;t want to hear from a Christian, then don't attack one.

May 21, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Tradewinds – weak-minded? Yes, I meet all those people everyday who rely on their own limited understanding and put forth no effort in connecting with the spiritual world.

May 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muhammad (Poo Be Upon Him)

Tom – there is no spiritual world. You are loony.

May 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Tell those that have experieced possession, haunting and ghosts first hand! Just becasue you are immersed in the material world does not mean others are.

May 21, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muhammad (Poo Be Upon Him)

I'm immersed in the material world because it's where I live. I'm real, my home is real, my job is real, my family is real. Sorry that I still don't see the boogyman and get possessed like you do apparently, whoops!

May 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

And you'll die in the material world with nothing to lok forward too. All so very sad.

May 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

Not only was the man a predator , but also a deciever, a man in sheeps clothing, leading cristians to believe he was a man of god , which he is not/was not, i hope the judge deals with him the way he should be dealt with,

May 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • sad but true

Religion is nothing but a tool for the weakminded to feel like they understand the world around them. They can't fathom the extent of the universe so they accept something simple: A higher power created everything. That's simple but it's not based on anything realistic. In order to try and understand the world around us you first have to accept that it is much more complex than a simple being creating everything around us. Then you have to start thinking critically. If someone tells you the spaghetti monster exists then you must first analyze whether that could possibly occur within the universe we understand today. Then you have to decide whether the person who told you that is credible. Are they qualified to make a statement like that? Now, for critical thinkers it doesn't take much work to analyze and decipher the BS in religion but for those who have been brain washed and haven't had an independent thought of their own it might take a little practice. Us athiests have been thinking critically for most of our lives and it is second nature to us. We can see right through all the BS. Don't take our word for it though. Just give it a try. You will be amazed at what the brain can do if you just allow it.

May 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Even if there was a god, I could not respect a god that allows the atrocities you see on the news every day, citing that is is his/her will and that you 'wouldn't understand'. I especially have no patience for this bull when it comes to children. I could just not respect such a god. Also, I don't need a religious manifest to tell me how to lead an ethical life (based on fear of not going to heaven) and certainly have no need for intolerance of people with other ideas. Alright, stepping off my soapbox and back to work. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

May 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Tom, in contrast, atheists believe you are preparing for an afterlife that never will materialize. Such a waste of time...and yet, I respect your standpoint, and hope you can respect mine as well...

May 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • cynic82

All man made things (like religion) fail eventually.

May 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Wow, Tom, hard to believe you take yourself seriously. In your various posts, all of which target atheists, you accuse them of being "hateful," "intolerant" and "egoists". Yes, the original post attacks religion, but that does not necessarily make the poster an atheist. they could well be agnostic - which, for the record, I am. And how can you blame an agnostic for seeking a better path to God? When those who follow organized religion abuse their fellow man, when they spout hate filled rhetoric as you have done, when they embody all that Jesus, and other religious leaders have preached against: intolerance, lack of compassion, lack of love for those who you do not understand.

Tom, all you have done in your posts is to spew that same hate filled rhetoric. All you have done is confirm, for me, why I would never wish to be a member of a club that would have YOU for a member. Do you seriously think that you are doing any good with your vile anger and hate? Do you seriously think you are doing anything to convince the supposed atheists you are getting up on your holy soap box for that yours is the better path? Really?

To those on the other side, those who would tear down God: the Tom's of this world do NOT represent any God that I believe in. Focus your anger where it belongs, on those human deceivers who claim to represent God and actually only perpetuate a climate of hate and vile.

While I would never tell you what to believe in, I myself do believe in a God, something greater than myself. But my God is the embodiment of love, tolerance, and compassion, and thus, traditional religious organizations, all man made and not God centered, do not speak for me.

May 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Cant

Michael Wong.. If you can only believe what you see then tell me, Who made the sky, trees, birds, humans? Open your eyes and look out side. Si it Just happened one day from a bang? We humans are still trying to figure it all out, we cant make a bird or a tree or atmosphere in our wildest dreams. It's too complicated for the humans to consum and so is God, you will never understand it all although its not too hard to believe when you see things spiritually. God is everywhere. Ask him, he will show you, he's not a respecter of persons like humans are.

May 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • cedarrapids

'And you'll die in the material world with nothing to lok forward too. All so very sad'
      Yep I will eventually die, as will us all. Ah well, such is death.
      I hope it will be long into the future and until then I will enjoy my life because this is it.
      Its funny that you think that because atheists do not believe in an afterlife that it makes them sad in this one, quite the reverse, it makes them realise you only get one shot so make the most of it.

May 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • kuate

Well if priest doesnt fear god, then he must know something. Like, there is nothing to fear, no God?

May 21, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sad but true

I was brain storming and had a hard time coming up with many examples of violent atheist groups. Any examples in history? I know religion can be blamed for basically every violent act in history. Even the crazies (obviously, who else would they associate themselves with) believe in some higher power; even forcing them to do it. It's odd then, that with all the information out there today, people can still believe in their religion, all the while shooting everyone else's down. If that doesn't prove there is no one religion that is accurate I don't know what is. I guess I'm not egotistical enough to believe I was chosen and all the other religions were not. I would say atheists have less of an ego and more of a brain than any religious person. Just an opinion. Easy to have one that reflects self-preservation don't you think? It's human (actually animal) instinct. I guess that might be explained since we are related to chimpanzees; although we aren't direct descendants, we are related.

May 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • PersonallyanAgnostic

This seems to be a very blakc/white type conversation so just let me interject this and then I'll be gone. Tom, if religion is that important to you, why do you care so much if someone else believe in it. The important thing is, you do and no one can take that away from you no matter how hard they try.
      For those attacking Tom, hey, if that's what he believe in, it's not your place to force him not to. Most likely he'll never agree with you and why should he it makes him happy.
      Me, I leave it at, "I'll find out when I get there". I hope there is something after death. That would be great, but as I've never been there, I reserve my judgement. Maybe there isn't anything after, well I guess it won't really matter what I did or didn't believe anyway. The point I'm trying to make is, until you've experienced it yourself, how can you say someone else is wrong?

May 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Nice dissertation Craig, but there are nothin in my posts that are vile or hateful. I'm defending Christians from the hateful and intolerant atheist libs whose only purpse is to cry for an end to religion becasue a clergy member committed an atrocity. So before you go and spew a bunch of accusations I recommned you actually read the posts clearly to understand that many of us get sick and tired of atheists using these stories and venues to denounce religion, God and church.

May 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kuate

"Sad but True" finally someone that gets it right.. Not descendants, only related. Darwin said related, and the catholic church drew up the monkey to man to make fun of him and thats'all people understand. Bravo to you sir.. you made my day.

And to all, I bet you that right before this priest did what he did to those kids, the brought fear to all those congregating asking them to repent forJesus because only then can they be saved, and then he collected donations.

May 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmoney

yea murr, religion is just a candy coating for all the wickedness in this world, nice observation. To say something as ignorant as that, I can see why this world has become such a cluster f*** of evil doing. It is unfortunate that this happened.

May 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pickngrin

Tom -
      So based on your observation that there have been posts under 2 different usernames that identified as atheistic and appeared intolerant, you have concluded that atheists as a group are intolerant? Seriously?

May 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • watching

It is just simply another catholic priest expressing his true feelings. Now the Vatican can go ahead and deny it happened, and move the priest to another location.

May 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Didn't say that. My comment address those atheists who wrote the comments and then if ohters chimed in supporting their comments, that's how it happens. SO if anyone on here is an atheist that respoects people who have religion then they would not support the atheists who shout for an end to religion.

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Tom, the Lord is in my pants. Come worship.

May 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Now a sadistic dungeon pedophile priest... and we still don't have a commitment from the pope that child abusing priests will be turned over to the police.

May 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I don't hate Christians or other religious people, I just hate when they climb on top of their ivory tower of faith and arrogantly proclaim that anyone who doesn't commit themselves to God is going to hell, is a bad person, etc. I am not atheist, I am more agnostic and deist if anything, but I still am a good person and treat others as I would like to be treated, it is called integrity, having morals, and a love for man. I don't see how believing old stories from a book that was written by thousands of people serving their own agendas is supposed to help me anymore than I can already help myself. Think for yourself people, and treat everyone with decency and respect.

May 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pteka

Well the concept of religion is completely human. religion doesn't exist without human, but the world and universe can exist without humans

May 21, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Athieism is a non-prophet organisation....
      Who cares if you don't believe in God. That's your right.
      So is preaching against God. Have you ever considered that you aren't worthy of God's love?
      God won't have you. You aren't good enough for Him. I'm sorry but it's true. That's the only
      explanation for your arrogant refusal to accept Him into your hearts. It's not for everyone.
      Please try to understand. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

May 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniPoohBear

"Tom
      Atheist is just another word for those who are too lazy and hubristic to try and reach out to the spiritual world. Miracles are abound and those who ignore and refuse to believe do so to their own detriment. If I'm wrong – I lived a good life, if an atheist is wrong then they have no life."

Or...perhaps the atheist lived a good life, too. Just because someone doesn't believe in God or Gods doesn't make them an evil, violent person. Regardless of whether the atheist believed in God or not, I believe firmly that the goodness and kindness that the person did throughout their life is what truly matters in the end. I know of several who claim to "know" God (some Catholic priests, for example) that are evil, wicked and vile people.....and you can not make me believe that they will not be held accountable in the end.

May 21, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

There is likely no source of our universe that would also be the solution for your afterlife.

Everything you see around you is based on simplicity. If it were designed, it wasn't done well or with a specific purpose in mind. You just think it is because you're the most complicated thing it's had to offer yet that you have witnessed.

It's called perception.

Some people would have you believe anything to help them achieve their goals, so get used to working on not being gullible.

Tom, you're a fool, and I don't mind crashing your world down around you. I've seen what things turn into when your method of debate is introduced.

May 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomza Moreon

Tom, you state: ' In the real world, atheists are too afraid to speak their vile becasue they know their intolerance would not be accepted. 1 billion Catholics and 2 billion Christians and maybe around 300 million atheists."

Well done, you’ve disproven your first sentence with your second sentence. If you say that Atheists are too afraid to speak their 'vile' in public, wouldn’t that mean that there are many more Atheists than your 300 million estimation?

May 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

There is no method of debate Kevin. It's faith and it can be in ones self or in a supreme being. God created it and man messes it up of his own free will. Your poor logic will not make anyone's world come crashing down and since you have no faith in a bigger plan, you will not dissuade any believer from their faith. God Bless.

May 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Claiming your belief preference on a form and then having the guts to speak your beliefs face to face are two different thimgs. Apple and oranges my friend, but nice try!

May 21, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

I'm an atheist, and it doesn't mean I don't believe in anything (I'm not a nihilist), nor does it mean I don't love (not even sure why anyone would make the correlation). I am very proud of this, and will freely admit it to anyone I meet in real life.

Historically, there are two reasons why religions form. The first is to explain things that are not fully understood, but are important for survival. For instance, native Americans, and many other civilizations which predate the advent of scientific method, created religious beliefs that described the working of the natural world which they needed to exist in harmony with. This allowed them to create an understanding that was simple and elegant enough to meet their needs, without raising too many unanswerable questions.

The other reason that religions are created and perpetuated is to control others. A group consolidates power by claiming divine authority. Children are brought up under a pre-defined belief structure and taught that it's a sin to question it. A belief in the afterlife prevents people from rebelling against this false authority, and those that are dead cannot return to tell the living that it's all a scam.

It's one thing to believe in something larger than yourself, and whether that belief takes the form of something acknowledged to be unknown, something symbolic, or even something tangible that you revere, it should be up to the individual to determine. Atheists are not lazy. It's those that simply follow the largest crowd that are truly lazy and irresponsible. But we can't really blame them, because most of them were told that it was their only viable path before they even knew that questioning was an option.

May 21, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomza Moreon

Tom, I'd also like to point out that constantly referring to Atheists as 'atheist libs' exposes not only your dogma, but the extraordinary limited scope of your viewpoint on individuals who oppose monotheist celestial totalitarian regimes.

Can you see how child-like and elementary a term such as 'Christian Repubs' is? Now flip the coin and see your reflection.

May 21, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Justin, you sound like a nice but misguided young man. Yes, there is an intellectual argument to how anything forms. You must learn to go beyond that and readch within your self. Following the crowd is what a lot of the world does – commercialism and doing whatever feels good – sheeple. Don't follow.

May 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

not all atheists are libs but the ones on here that attack religion are and its important to know that.

May 21, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • panda

You don't have to believe in God to be spiritual. For example, I find music deeply spiritual. You don't have to believe in God to be good. Why the hell should I concern myself with what happens after life? Don't you get it? LIFE itself is what we should be focusing on. And as long as I live a good life and am able to make a positive difference in others' lives, I couldn't give a damn if I spend eternity in hell.

May 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomza Moreon

Tom, how could you possibly know the political orientation of people on a message board? Is this assumption an act of 'faith'?

May 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • David, Los Angeles, CA

@ Tom- I can't wait for "the Church" to admit to their crimes against children and stop playing the blame-game, paying hush money, accusing the media, the victims, atheists, and Fred Flinstone.

Atheists didn't molest these kids. Priests, representatives of the Catholic Church did.
      Atheists didn't cover up these crimes for decades and decades. The Catholic Church did.

Looks like your own glass house is shattering about your head and you have no walls left. Play the blame game if you want. It's all the Church has been good at.

May 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomza Moreon

If priests are the representatives of God, doesn’t that mean God molested those little kids?

May 21, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

The odd thing about atheism is it requires faith. To be atheist is to have faith that there is no God. Just as theists have no verifiable proof of the existence of God, atheists have no verifiable proof of the absence of God.

Now, with that out of the way let's get back to the story, shall we? While unfortunately it has become a horrible pattern to see priests in abusive situations, we must stay focused on the fact that these are individuals - not representative of the whole. That the church needs to do more to get to the root cause of this horrible cancer is undeniable; that it is somehow the fault or purpose of the church itself is ludicrous.

May 21, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • J G

Amen. World would be a lot better place without religion. That said, some of the things that religion can teach people are useful, such as being a good person. But that can be taught just fine without religion if the parents are actually invested in the child.

It saddens me every day when I think about the millions of people who waste time praying or doing other things.

May 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • J G

And for whatever it's worth, I'm a very happy conservative atheist. So the Bible Thumpers in here should stop referring to atheists as atheist libs. There are people on "our" side who have evolved intellectually as well.

May 21, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Tom,
      I did read your posts, and your language and tone are filled with hate filled rhetoric. If the Christian church speaks for God, it needs no defense, especially from you. If God is all powerful, all knowing, then surely God needs no defense from you.

It is not "a clergy" that has committed an atrocity. It is many clergy, over many years - and this in only the most recent scandal. In fact the Catholic has gone to great lengths to avoid taking responsibility for the crimes committed against its parishioners in the name of God. Is this what God would want?

Of course, these crimes against followers have not just occurred in the Catholic church, but in many, if not all churches of faith, and not just in recent years.

Is it really liberal to expect more from the church we place our faith in? Is it really liberal to condemn such actions as those committed by this man of the cloth and so many like him?

What, exactly, are you defending Tom?

May 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • monarch

it is not religion or the lack of, it is the lack of any shame or basic decency and lack of guidance towards/for our children. Shielding yourself with the religious shield does not make it right or easier to accept. Be angry towards the act itself not the baggage added for splashy headlines.

May 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beerbrewer

"Can't wait for everyone to realize religion is just a candy coating for greed, power, and in unfortunate cases, child abuse"

All religions? I didn't know the Salvation Army was that bad.

May 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • mar

Just because some claim to be Christians does not mean they are. My church takes in much money and gives out more than it takes in. Now that is a church that follows Jesus Christ.

May 21, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • uberdork

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

May 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Religion is the stupidest thing that man has ever invented.

May 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom can't spell

"Craching down." I assume you mean "crashing." Ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds religion. Consider spell check at least.

May 21, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

You atheists are a bunch of idiots, and the Bible proves it, its the word of our Lord. The lord Jesus is hear to stay. He never left our hearts and if you wood just let him in you woodn't burn in hell with all your crazy tree-hugging lib friends that care more about the envirunment than praying to Jesus at night.

May 21, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve88

Atheists wont burn in hell
      Everyone knows that if there is a god, he would favor people who don't use unlikely and unprovable claims to run their lives and morality. =P

May 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucia

Right on. Religion is a major cause of the evils of this world. Those people who are educated enough to see it for what it is are the only people who really "get it," in my opinion. I feel sorry for those who are slaves to it their entire lives, especially those women who follow religions that oppress them with ridiculous double standards for behavior and dress.

May 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

steve88 and Lucia – you dont need education to know our lord, you just need to read the bible. If you dont, you will burn in hell with all the other atheists and liberals and treehuggers. Deny our god and you will burn in hell its that simple. Im tired of all the hating in here, Im just speaking the truth. I live my life for Jesus and Im a good person... but you Jesus haters will regret it when you die, this life is just temporary.

May 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve88

I am tired of hate you theists spew;
      you (tom) then tell people that they must read your specific dogma or burn forever in your imaginary pit of fire?!
      Have you even read the other alledged holy books? MAYBE it is you who is the believer of the wrong religion, and will be sent to a bad place or reincarnated for whatever reason. hmmmmm.....?

Your claims are unlikely.
      THE REALITY; Your religion is more likely a man made invention just like all the rest of those "HOLY BOOKS"/"sacred manuscripts"
      IF there is a god, you still have no idea on how he judges or if he/she/it will prefer those who believed in him or not. Think about the fear and hate you are spewing, tom.

May 21, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve88

*i am tired of the hate spewed by theists "YOUR GOING HELL CAUSE IM RIGHT and my god hates you -too" (well, I am tired from the hate from anyone theists or not too)

May 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

May 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale

Organized religion: the bane of society.

May 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve88

This evil person is not of God and should not be considered associated with any religion but, instead the devil."

exactly the kind of radical theist- nonsense and hate i am talking about. Hurtful and hateful, why even say it? because you are afraid you are wrong? It doesn't matter, life is worth living , especially cause you only live it once. Not because your fake holy books like the koran / bible says so.

May 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lilly

Murr, while I believe that your statement is accurate, I also believe that there are many people who want to do good and are drawn to religion for the right reasons. Those people should be applauded and thanked for their good deeds. That being said, the Catholic church and it's refusal to change its rules regarding celibacy is unfortunate and will continue to be unfortunate for all catholic children. As long as the church keeps the celibacy rule in force the church will continue be a magnet for pediphiles seeking to prey on children AND get support from the church for doing so. It's bizarre and makes me think that there must be an aweful lot of pedophiles involved here, (especially in the higher levels of the church) since nothing really ever seems to change when it comes to their handling of crimes against children by their very own preists.

May 21, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • monique

We should be worshipping Mother Nature – that's what created us and what decides our fate – not some invisible guy in the sky. The world would be better if we worshipped nature and tried to stop harming it, put all that money people waste sending to religions and instead spend it saving the environment that's around us.

May 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve88

there is no denial that the church or churches or responsible for acts of good though too... but i just think it should not be immune to criticism. "WHY? because it just shouldn't be questioned. why not? it just shouldn't ." and Some of them shouldn't be immune to taxes, especially when pushing their ideas and campaigns for their unquestionable (and UNPROVABLE) beliefs based only on faith .

May 21, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Byan Wong

Well said Murr

May 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Http://Twitter.com/whybs

Everyone beats off! Does pontification about religion or morality mean anything?

Go beat off and all the world problems will go away! :)

May 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Son

Exactly what you said is true...mere religion brings nothing or even a kind of abuse. But only in Jesus Christ alone, the peace, love and salvation are found. Hope this will bless you..

May 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marina90292

Fully agree. Religion has brought upon nothing but wars, over population (Catholics being encourage to breed like crazy) and situations as these. Religion is a nice "thought" but never works out that way. It was created long ago to control the masses and to obtain money from them ,and times have not changed.

May 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stormtrooper

@Tom...I'm an atheist and I completely resent everything you drone on about. How can you preach about a loving and forgiving god that gave people free will and then punishes them with eternal damnation if they don't believe in said god? Sounds like a complete contradiction to me. You, sir, are the worst kind of hypocrite that exists. You epitomize all that intelligent people are fighting against in order to pull us, as a people, into the 21st century.

May 21, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • barbie

Can't wait for you to meet Jesus Christ so you can tell him that

May 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • haroun eikram

hey to question if god is so amazing the tell me some things why would your god make people in africa suffer why must god kill with earthquakes why must your god kill with wind and water my best friend has cancer because of your dang god she is someone who always puts others before herself yet waddia you know she wont live much longer i know multiple people who died because of god if god is so amazing why didn't he smote hitlers a*s off the earth before the holocaust why let osama live why have 9/11 huh a test of faith like the fake pope would probably say if god need's to know that people believe so much as to kill innocent people then have people say it is just because their sinners huh answer me this before you go to your freaking church remember that your praying to a murder

May 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • JulieGirl

Ok heres where I get confused...you all have wasted how long on here arguing with ppl you don't know, will never come into contact with, who don't care for your opinion, and basicly have no real "politically correct" respect for eachother. Your arguing a personal choice...now let me repeat...personal choice.... wow those words..anyway-the "opinion" you post will be completely different no matter who you ask and/or offend. Why not agree to disagree and live your life as you see fit and just make blanket statements on here like.... "Awww thats awful" or "Goodness gracious" accompanied by a clever smily or sad face??? Then we can all spend more time with our families. Hugs and kisses to athst and religs..have a lovely day.

May 22, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Arthur A. Cevallos

What did you expec?. These people(priests, pastors, man with funny hats) work for a company "Catholic Church" and in this company the people in charge are more concern with the money they are collecting than the lives that they are destroying. It is unfortunate that there are many blind Idiots that have given this company so much power and control. It's too bad that these Idiots don't realize what they are doing. Stop giving money to these evil empire and start spending that money on yourselves and your loved ones.

May 22, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Gene

The devil is trying to ruin religion! Some accusations are false! If I were repeatedly abused I would have killed the guy after the first time he abused me!

May 22, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • j

Any such shroud is a sugar coat. What people need to realize is that very little is what it seems and that an open mind is the only defense from a life of naivety. This priest could even be so delusioned that he believes he'll be 'forgiven', only that you can't and shouldn't be forgiven for something like this purposely done. His forgiveness should be a bullet in the forehead. But in the end there is only free will, and what a person does is their choice, and the person who lives willly nilly is just as bad as the one who believes they do no wrong. If you need to think there's supposed to be some grand purpose for life then go for it, but at the end of the day the only purpose is that created, whether it's realized or not.

May 22, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Gsamsa

Sorry, Tom, but if you can't wait for atheists to look for help from a higher power, you're going to be disappointed. We realize that we're responsible to take care of our own own houses, so they won't come crashing down. If you spent more time learning how the world actually works, and less time praying to your invisible friend, you'd learn the liberating truth about real freedom - and responsibility.

May 22, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • mom

Guess we all know where you're headed. Because that road is wide and you'll be joined by a lot of other unfortunate souls.

May 22, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • alan

Religion maybe. But not a personal relationship to Jesus Christ. If Catholics were saved and born again you would not see this long list of perverts from their priests. It is belong they rely on works and they have never a change within. Murr, have you ever been saved from your sins? There is a real heaven and hell.
      Alan.

May 22, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • eberly

Wasn't Stalin an atheist?
      How did that turn out?
      How bout Mao Tse Tung?
      Yeah. Atheists seem to generally do the right thing..........

May 22, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |

eberly

Wasn't Stalin an atheist?
      How did that turn out?
      How bout Mao Tse Tung?
      Yeah. Atheists seem to generally do the right thing..........

May 22, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Man, all this stuff here... do you not see the problem with hating on how much religion hates? If you have a beef with hate, try laying off it. If religion isn't your thing, fine, so be it, but it's not you're spot to judge either.

May 22, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • lobsterking

Murr, you are right on. In addition, I have noticed that there is a link between ignorance and misspelling in the comments.

May 22, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Murr, your thought process suffers from the falacy of composition. You have misidentified religion and associated crime with ideology. If a representative of the state uses their postion to engage in crime, it is not the demise of government. Millions of atheists are incarcerated, only to find religion in their cells. Do just as many believers plot their next crime during a church service?

May 22, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • bluenote

Tom: You represent the Christian Faith well, sir. Speaking as if you know something that you can't possibly know, and judging others' political and belief systems based simply on their stated Atheism? Well done, sir. I have noticed, recently, how many Christians are quick to judge those who say they are NOT Christian, and I wonder, when are the Newly Revised Editions of the Old and New Testament going to be available? I'm sure they're coming, because all those OLD versions say pretty specifically not to judge anything. By the way, they also say a number of other things that I find rather interesting, like in Deuteronomy, where it says you should not wear linen and wool at the same time. This will make God very angry. But hey, go ahead and focus on how Gay Marriage is a sin, and please, feel free to make more excuses for pedophile Priests, and the consequences of a religion that constricts ones' sense of self. You Christians have done SO MUCH GOOD already, why not just keep doing it. I'm sure the Cherokees, The medieval Population of Spain, the victims of the Holocaust, and Gay people all over the world would like to thank you, AND Jesus, for making their lives so much better. Can't wait to hear what Fringe group you guys say is REALLY responsible for the Gulf Coast Oil Spill. If I remember correctly, it was Gay people for Katrina, wasn't it? lol, People like you just crack me up. Have a nice day, Tom.

May 22, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • francis

"Every house is constructed by someone", a comment made by the apostle Paul. Revelation 17 and 18 gives clear indication of what happens to false religion, responsible for the blood of innocents. And God "is not slow respecting his promise but desires none to be destroyed" a comment by the apostle peter. There is a clear demarcation between the teachings of the bible and the falsehoods found in 'religion'.

May 22, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Religion isn't to blame. People are to blame. Unfortunately, many hide behind the cloak of religion and take advantage of an office to commit and perpetuate a crime. The same is true in any other profession.
      There are many good people in all of the major religions. Sadly, they are all judged by the actions of a few.

May 22, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee Hall

Amen Brother. Organized religion has inspired more devient behaviour than even politics and wealth. Bring the priests to justice and close down the vatican.

May 22, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • scott

here's the truth.. ........ RELIGION HAS DESTROYED THIS PLANET !!!

May 22, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Johnston

Scott, you're wrong. People's abuses of religion have messed things up. You can't make blanket statements like that and expect to be taken seriously

May 22, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • mollyd

All too right. Religion is simply evil.

May 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faith

The powers of darkness will mask themselves as light – a favorite trick of Satan. He loves nothing better than to lure people in under the guise of religion and do his dirty deeds. This priest was not a Christian! But look what Satan has managed to do – he has managed to trick even more into turning from the light of God. I suggest to anyone – anyone – who has a question in his mind if there is really a God to pick up a bible and read it. Read it from cover to cover, even if the going is rough. Read it with an open mind – and then decide what you believe. That is the only way you will ever really know. Keep in mind, the bible is a collection of books, written by many authors over a period of many years. These authors wrote from the inspiration of God – and many of them did not even know other. Yet they all told the same story and point to the same person – Jesus Christ – who no one disputes existed.

May 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Farmers Daughter

Has anyone seen the Pope reveal the pentance these priests are to do? Do they give alms for their sins? Are they brought before the superiors for punishment?
      Here is what I think the catholic church so obviously lacks. Teaching the Bible from cover to cover. Showing how the miracles of Paul's life saved even the worst sinner. God's Word says, come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest. This means that He is the answer to these horrible issues plagueing the church now. The Holy Spirit is not called upon by the Pope for a real guidance of what to do now. They need to realize that they have been in a shadow of the evil one from the beginning. The reason the church is so rich is because they asked for money to get people out of heaven. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS ENOUGHT MONEY???? Get a clue, this is a total scam. I believe in the Jesus who died on the cross for our sins. I also believe that He opened my eyes to the truth because I was humble and asked Him to reveal Himself to me. This has to happen in the catholic church before any progress can be made. It maked me SICK to hear day after day the atrocities of this church. Look up as the time draws near. He is the answer.

May 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • mnc

Can't wait either, Murr. It's amazing how much destruction and injustice has been perpetrated through the centuries in the name of god.

May 22, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abe

May 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

You left out the foundation of religion which is brain washing. A child molester will brainwash the victim into thinking that it was their fault. Just as a priest will convince people that every little negative incident that happens in their lives is a result of not enough faith and every positive incident is a reward for their devotion to that religions god.

May 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

It cannot be stated any simpler. Murr...Can't wait for everyone to realize religion is just a candy coating for greed, power, and in unfortunate cases, child abuse.

May 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abe

You actually have not responded to any of the points I have made. Is it because you cannot!! Read again then try again..... Not the condition of religion but the condition of being human. If a a person is "religious" it doesn't stop him/her from being human and subject to the good and bad in all of us. I never ever noticed anyone looking at Mother Theresa and say "see how good religion is"? This is typical human behaviour too. Choosing what to see and what not to see. Do you ever take an atheist murderer or child abuser and say "see what atheism does"?

May 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia Kraybill

It's not the "Religion". It's the PEOPLE. Get it RIGHT.

May 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I couldn't agree more! Well written.

May 22, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joyce

I can't wait until you pull your sub cerebral cortex out of your glutenous.

May 22, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

To all the atheists who claim the moral high ground because of a dysfunctional priest – I would like to remind you that the most murderous, incestuous, child raping, lying, beastial, villanous people in human history served ATHEIST governments, namely Stalinist Russia and NAZI Germany. Both of these governments were responsible for over thirty five million deaths in the mid-twentieth century...and that's a conservative estimate. Atheists DO NOT have any reason to be proud of their philosophy.

May 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • millstone

"We pray to our God for victory because we believe we are right- They pray to thier God for victory because they believe they are right...What must He think of us?" – Abraham Lincoln

"Religion" is a way or ritual that we use to worship"OUR" God-
      "Faith" is believing in a God in which we cannot see- There is only ONE God- WE are ONE people, also known as "civilization"

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary- For those who do not believe, no explanation is possible."
      - St. Augustine

May 22, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • jcwill6034

This is the reason I am no longer a catholic. For the church to hide, payoff, protect and make excuses at the highest levels for totally gross and illegal acts that should land these people in jail, is against all that the church should represent. These actions have distanced the church from the basic ideals it should strive to hold dear and will be it's downfall.

May 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simontif

I do not see a loy of mention of Agnostics. I do not dis-believe or believe. I do believe there are things that humans cannot even imagine or prove at this point. I keep an open mind towards anyones faith, beliefs or ideas. The only point I can deduce, that most wars in the last 3-4 hundred years have been fought on religious lines, be it good religion or evil religion or just pure one mans struggle to be number one. Happily living in Michigan, and employed!

May 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mountain_bound

well – murr – you will have to wait for a very very long time to have that come to fruition. My religious beliefs have nothing to do with Greed of Power. They have everything to do with believing in Jesus Christ as the blood sacrifice for man. Sent from God as his son.

May 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMIF TURGOT

I will pray for you, Sir.

May 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMIF TURGOT

Read well, over and over and over and OVER again, the statement by Mountain Bound. Perhaps something will sink in.

May 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shistar

No Tom. All religion period is no where near what true Spirituality is. You don't have to be "religious" To be spiritual. True Spirituality doesn't involve politics and Religion is just Politics dressed up in crosses and dualistic "holy" books. That is all i will say Good day to all of u and blessed be.

May 22, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

I don't know whats worse..the things the priest did or the fact that it does not surprise me.

May 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • where's my bailout?

Why cant anybody spel inglish correctly.
      The baseless points of view, are ruined by the atrocious spelling!

May 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

Exactly! I totally agree.

May 22, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie Tracy

The more lube the better it feels. I personally like it when i put there heels to the bed board.

May 23, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Carlson

Pervert priests disprove religion like fat people disprove health.

May 23, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • John R

There's absolutely no defending the 'priest' in this story. But, as usual on CNN, blaming religion? If we got rid of all religion (which by definition would be akin to policy in the Third Reich or Bolshevik Soviet Union), would that stop child abuse such as this? Or would the 'priest' find another occupation...like teacher, janitor, day care provider....who knows, maybe even atheist philosopher...

May 23, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Get rid of religion, and these atrocities will still exist–and we'll all be pointing the fingers at another establishment or group or whatnot. Religion isn't "bad," PEOPLE can be bad. This event shouldn't be used to demean those who are religious.

May 23, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Hatfield

Once again folks...here's your belief system: Christianity, the belief that some Cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so that he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Makes sense to me!

May 23, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Whereever there are men with too much power; join the church to hide their secrets or are white in a large minority population, this is to be expected. Abuse of power, religious authroity etc. Trust me, the church knows what these creeps do, why do you think they don't keep them in the industrialized or suburban areas, they ship them out, so they don't taint good white stock. They just hope the 3rd world people, people from indigent upbringings in urban cities of color or not, never learn to read and write or find anyone to believe them. Foreign countries value religion more than Americans do, so he had a powerful weapon in a very religious country, his cloak.

September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

@ Murr the fact that you do not believe in God or do not want to believe in GOD is not a prerequisite of you receiving his promises.

September 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Achmed the dead terrorist

But isn't Dave Ortner in prison?

May 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Michael

Well tell a man he cant marry, and when he sees women in dresses, skirts, women he cannot have what does he do? He turns to those who keep secrets best, and those who tolerate trauma better than ladies do, boys.
    So, tell the Pope that priests should have wives, to do the erotic things with her, a normal thing to do that does no harm to anyone.

May 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura

Priest like Marcin Michal Strachanowski have no desire for women, at all. They desire little boys only. It's part of being a pedophile.

May 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lila

Bull crap. A real man priest or not would simply have a secret affair with a CONSENTING adult. This has nothing at all whatsover to do with celibacy. It is pure sick chiold abuse.

May 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Men who can't have relations with a woman don't "turn to boys" You are not very smart. Pedophile is a pedophile and is a sick twisted mind.

May 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lewis

I agree that this is pedophelia and has nothing to do with celibacy. I also believe the celibacy requirements discourage many who would otherwise serve the Church in the capacity of Priest. If the requirement was ended I believe these predators would have fewer opportunities for advancement and a more difficult time molesting and getting away with it as the talent pool would increase and there would be more eyes watching over the children who are in the care of the Church. More Fathers and Mothers who can recognize signs of molestation and know how to relate to children.

May 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • tradewinds

From what I know about christians, all priests are married to a god, a man by the way, so they cannot marry again. That would be adultery, a mortal sin. I do agree that pedophiles are pedophiles, some gay some straight....all BAD! The priests are in focus because they are in a place of authority. They are messengers from their god so they should be held to a higher standard. I don't prejudge anyone but someone held in high regard, like priests, teachers, law enforcement, ect. should be much more responsible for their behavior than some homeless thug. Is that being prejudice? Sorry.

May 21, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samarah

Michael–I agree with you TOTALLY! That's the problem......they're holding priests to a standard that is not human. Celibacy is not natural......people have HORMONES!!!!!! Also, knowing that the job entails celibacy, those who have unsavory proclivities might be attracted to the position of priest. Just a fact!

May 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • keburg

@ Michael
      So any man who can't get a woman turns to child molestation? That's your theory? Wow. That's one of the stupidest things I've read in a long, long time.

May 21, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I do agree with you that there is a connection here; I just disagree with the nature of the connection.

Imagine a pedophile who feels sickened and horrible (at first) about these feelings. This person presumably can't hold a real relationship and would probably be drawn away from a life where marriage is the norm and would be drawn towards a position where kids are always around. Unfortunately, the Catholic priesthood would seem ideal for someone looking for an excuse to not be married and also unfortunately places these people in a position of trust with kids.

May 21, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Michael

I failed to notice I was replying to someone with my name. Michael's replies to Michael are in fact two different Michaels - not someone debating himself. :)

May 21, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Doug W.

I'd feel better if the Judge didn't know what an erotic dungeon was or looked like

May 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sixoh

LMAO!

May 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • tradewinds

Jeez, Doug, that was a hoot!

May 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • doofus

meh, nothing wrong with having an erotic dungeon as long as the participants are of legal age and consenting to the "humiliation" typically associated with s3xual acts of that nature.

May 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Guest

The most rotten apples in the church. I say we transport them to BP headquarters.

May 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • F

Or use them to stop up the leaking pipe at the bottom of the Gulf...

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • frrickrod

I say we "hate the sin, love the sinner." St Augustine

May 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wizard

The largest employer of pedophiles in the world, the Catholic Church.

May 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. morena

well this catholic religion is not written in the bible and its obvious that also the priest,pope are false phropet, so the bible that they preach to the people are in vain....so sorry to the victimes they experinced bad things from the priest ...good for him to be in jail.

May 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Implications

>implying the Bible is real

May 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh??

"This catholic religion is not written in the bible??" What does that even mean? "This Catholic religion" is called Christianity, dufus! It's based on the New Testament, just like all Christian denominations! In fact, the definition of the word "catholic" is: " of, relating to, or forming the ancient undivided Christian church." "catholic" just means "universal."

There are plenty of perverts in all the rest of the denominations too...they just aren't as organized or as large as the Roman Catholic church...the church by which all other Christian denominations sprung...

May 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe babble

Take em out and shoot them !!

May 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. really dont care

how come nobody checks the pope

May 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. dave

the percentage pedophiles among employees of the Catholic Church is no higher than amomg postal workers, teachers, or Wizards

May 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jane Saint

Does the Postal Office, Educational System cover up and allow the pederasty to continue?

May 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • dg

Is that your best defense for Catholic Church? That is a really sorry state!

May 21, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Savannah

Yeah, but those other professions don't supposedly live up to a "moral code".

May 22, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Loki

I would need to see the data before I believed that statistic.

May 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • frrickrod

Bu where is it highest? The data is there.

May 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Actually. it is considerably higher than in Wizards.

Wizards are cool – you shouldn't pick on Wizards. They can really f you up.

Cause they're Wizards.

May 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ryan

Welcome to Uncle Touchy's naked puzzle basement!!

May 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Futon Torpedo

LOL!

May 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MeanJoeGreene

Cut off their junks so this bs stops. cant be a pediphile without a dingy

May 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • frrickrod

We might remind ourselves to: "hate the sin, love the sinner". St Augustaine

May 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • frrickrod

We might remind ourselves to: "hate the sin, love the sinner". St Augustine

May 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. darkdays

Why is it these priests never just cheat with someone their own age, male or female? Why is it always kids? It's disgusting beyond any reason. I'd rather stand before God with a murder on my record and try to explain that than explain why I wore robes of faith that represent HIM and used that position to commit heinous faith shattering acts against the most innocent members of the church. Do these criminals even believe in God?

May 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Muhammad (Poo Be Upon Him)

They don't believe in god.

That.
      Is.
      THE
      POINT

RELIGION IS A COVERUP. Everyone is lead to believe it's all holy and 'good' when in reality they just do it to think everyone is good overall while they sneak off and do this. Churches collect your money, take your time, and make you think everyone is just hunky-dory. the phrase is very true, 'BLINDED BY THE LIGHT'.

May 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Religion

I agree with 'Poo be upon him'. If Christ is the ultimate savior, then who the @#$% are other deities in other religions - namely Shiva for Hindus, Buddha for buddhists, Muhammad for Muslim, and other lesser known gods (what happened to Zeus?). For Christians, all these other religions are heretics, and are destined to burn in hell. But every religion view their faith to be true and other faiths to be blasphemous. Can't we use common sense to see that all the names of 'gods' are created by 'people' to explain things they didn't understand (for eg. the geocentric - earth in middle of universe theory, really?). I am pretty sure Hindus still believe the earth was created when gods and devils churned out the ocean with a mountain sitting atop a giant turtle, and using a giant serpent as a rope to rotate the mountain. Sounds stupid? Don't be - one third of the population of this world (hindus) learn this and believe it to be true! Atheists, in other hand, believe in spirituality of things and the one-ness of soul and universe. In other words they do not believe in boundaries and divisions created by religion. Muslims will tell you that Allah tells them to shun other gods as they are false. Really? Do gods really threaten us earthlings to worship them or face eternity in hell? really?

May 21, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MagPro

Lets stuff these people into the hole underground to stop the oil spill.

May 21, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. elo

These priest stories just get better and better all the time. Im not going to go to church....EVER AGAIN!

May 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • frrickrod

We should go to church. However, not because you or they are saints–you go because we are all sinners standing in need of forgiveness. So get back there!

May 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |