June 1st, 2010

LeBron: Cleveland has "edge" when he's free agent

[Updated 7:45 p.m.] Read the full story on Lebron giving Cleveland the "edge" on CNN.com

[Posted 2:26 p.m.]Two-time MVP basketball superstar LeBron James is on the cusp of free agency. In an interview scheduled to air Friday with CNN's Larry King, James said his current team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, has the best chance of keeping him.

King: Do you lean at all toward the place you know the best? I mean do they have an edge going in ...

JAMES: Oh, absolutely.

KING: ... your home team?

JAMES: Absolutely. Because, you know, this city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it's comfortable. So I've got a lot of memories here. And - and so it does have an edge.

James has not talked to the media since the Cleveland Cavaliers were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs by the Boston Celtics.

Filed under: On the Radar • Sports • Uncategorized
  1. Bigga

Two years ago the Cavs began setting up for the 2010 free agent market. Most of the current contracts were written expressly with clauses that left this year optional. Therefore there is plenty money available to sign other big name free agents. With the addition of perhaps C. Bosh & D. Wade, with J.Calipari at the helm the Cavs stand to become a dynasty.

June 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Drew

why are yall acting as if he signed a contract yet?? if he wants to stay in cleveland so bad why is he testing the free agency?? huh?? Please lebron likes the big lights the city i believe he will leave cleveland did yall watch game 6. i do believe clevelands in the race but i think chicago has a better chance

June 1, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. joey

I hope whatever he does, he does for himself. Hes incredible. But Kobe will always take it in my book.

June 2, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. GO BAMMA

hey LBJ needs to leave! they arnt gonna win a champonship .they dont have any other people that even compare to him. they arnt gonna have Shaq i mean its simple Shaqs a romer. Hes gonna leave. So who they got now Antwan Jameson,Moe Williams,or hows bout Anthoney Parker? Im pretty shure none of them can win 2 MVP in a roe. look cleveland can worry about themselves i say go to the Heat. Then the Heat can trade for eather John Wall or Demarcus Cusins. but not my decesion its LBS. Long live the KING

June 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kevin

Hey Rick, have you ever actually been to Cleveland? Or is your perception of the city shaped by Johnny Carson jokes and jerks like Joakim Noah?! Cleveland is a fine town and doesn't need any losers like you anyways.

June 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Los Jeffersons

Hey Rick, I've been to Cleveland. People wore t-shirts there saying the best thing about Cleveland is that Pittsburgh is 141 miles away.

June 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ryan

I live 20 minutes outside of Cleveland. It has some nice museums etc, but is still pretty much a dump.

June 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Andy

If Cleveland is too boring for you, you don't know how to entertain yourself. There's plenty to do if you aren't close minded. Cleveland isn't the dump it used to be, but you need to be older than about 20 years old to know that. It doesn't take a genius to know NYC smells n-a-s-t-y when that wind blows from NJ but i guess you need to experience things for yourself to know that and not trust dumb idiots on blogs...

June 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. cal

Move to Cleveland from Boston three years ago. Loved Boston, but Cleveland is okay in my book. Pleasant vibe, lowkey, comfortable. Saw Lebron at the House of Blues a few nights ago. He looks very comfortable here. Makes what he says sound plausible.

June 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Chuck

I grew up in Akron, like Lebron, and played a lot of the same playground courts he likely did. Cleveland is no worse than most other mid-sized industrial cities, and better than some. I'm not saying I'd rather live there than New York, or California (where I live now) – but if it was going to cost me millions in salary to live somewhere else, as it will Lebron if he goes, I'd stay there.

June 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Kyle

Hey Rick, you sound like a Dick!

June 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Danny

Cleveland actually is considered the most depressed city according to a poll from Forbes.

June 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Max

That's because you didn't serve him quick enough.

June 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Chuck

People I know that have met him say he's a nice, decent guy. He held the door for my friend's girlfriend at Chapel Hill Mall shortly after he signed his huge Nike deal.

June 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply