June 3rd, 2010

NY to conduct civil ceremonies for gay couples

The city clerk's office in New York will begin conducting domestic partnership ceremonies for gay couples starting Thursday.

For more than a decade, the office has handed out certificates for such couplings.

But after the city rules were amended earlier this year, the office decided to add a little fanfare to the unions and conduct marriage-like ceremonies for the pairs.

While domestic partners in New York don't enjoy all the rights that married couples do, such unions can bestow some legal rights - such as hopital visitation and health benefits.

Marriage for gay couples is still unrecognized in the state. In December, the state Senate rejected bill legalizing such marriages.

Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • Politics
  1. Greg in VA

Take away the Word Marriage from the Federal Government and keep it in the church, if you want to be reconginized by the Federal and State Governments then everyone should get a civil union. Problem Solved Case Closed.

June 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Gemini

OneForChrist is a complete idiot. What backward, upside down book is he reading and exactly where did you get your "facts"? I don't have AIDs, I don't spread disease, I have been monogamous for 15 years and I don't even like kids.

June 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. AMerican

What ever happened to separation church and state!
    Will California legalize cannibis? I bet that will pass and I'll be allowed to smoke it in California before I can be united by civil union with my partner.
    At least, I can be separated from my partner without the high cost of a divorse lawyers! You straight fools make less income per capita that gays but don't mind throwing away what you have on your divorse lawyers! That's so smart!

June 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. AMerican

What ever happened to separation church and state!
    At least, I can be separated from my partner without the high cost of a divorse lawyers! You straight fools make less income per capita than gays but don't mind throwing away what you have on your divorse lawyers! That's so smart!

June 3, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Brian8907

How is it going down the drains?

The same way it went down the drains when blacks were freed?
    The same way it went down the drains when women were allowed to vote?
    The same way it went down the drains when blacks got equal rights?
    The same way it ........you get the point. This isn't going to affect your life, get over it.

June 3, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Erin

Better call Joe Plumber.

June 3, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. AnaHadWolves

And, how exactly does the act of uniting two people in a committed relationship affect you personally? I didn't think so.

June 3, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Me

@Brian8907 – No the same way Sodom and Gomorrah went down the drain

June 3, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. P

@No Way: Yes the country is going down the drain, by allowing people like you to live in it!

June 3, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sheetiron

Brian8907

Gay is not a race, or a gender. Quit trying to make this a Civil Rights issues.

June 3, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mercator

Congratulations! A civil rights issue is exactly what it is! The culture war about gay being a "choice" was lost long ago. Also, did you know MTV no longer plays many videos?

June 3, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Interesting

Just hang in there No Way. We will have the last laugh one day.

June 3, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Scotty Patrick

This country is going down the drains because it is finally offering some type of equality? Huh! I thought equality was a progressive idea. Silly me!

June 3, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. AmericanD

Brian,
    It's going down the drains when crap like this makes it to CNN's front page. Hello? "hopital"?? "condem"?? A bunch of High School kids could spell better than these idiots. And we'd probably get less biased news as well.

June 3, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Canaloopie

Please go down the drain with it. Your way of thinking is out dated. This country will be a better place once you are gone.

June 3, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse | Reply