June 7th, 2010

Crews search for missing child in Oregon

The search for a second-grade student who disappeared last week after he arrived at his Portland, Oregon elementary school intensified Monday

Kyron Horman, 7, did not return home on Friday from Skyline Elementary School, police said.

According to investigators, the boy's stepmother said she last saw Kyron Friday morning while he was walking down the hallway towards his classroom.

In a statement, the Multhnomah County sheriff's office reported that no one at the school saw him after 8:45 a.m. Friday and that Kyron never made it to his classroom.

Searches in the school area were conducted Friday and over the weekend by several agencies, including the Portland Police Bureau, Gresham Police Department, Fairview Police Department, Oregon State Patrol, and the FBI.

Authorities have also utilized Portland Police Bureau's air unit in an attempt to locate the child.

"My heart, and the hearts of everyone who is a part of Portland Public Schools, goes out to Kyron Horman and his family," said Portland Schools Superintendent Carole Smith in a statement.

"We are all wishing for Kyron's safe return as quickly as possible and we are grateful for the efforts of all the law enforcement agencies who have worked so tirelessly over the past 48 hours to determine the cause of Kyron's disappearance, locate him and return him safely home.

"The reported disappearance of a student from one of our schools is unprecedented and deeply troubling. Portland Public Schools is doing everything we can to assist the authorities in their effort to find Kyron."

Anyone with information on Kyron Horman's whereabouts is asked to call the Mutnomah County Sheriff's Office at 503-261-2847.

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Children
  1. damiao

I hope sincerely that everything is going to be all right, and the family find out the children asap....http://www.englishtips-sefl-taught.blogspot.com

June 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bisc

contians a commercial link.

June 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Crysti

This is going to be an interesting story to follow. I hope the kid is found...

June 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nancy

why have they not said this is a kidnapping? seems very odd.

June 7, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jenn harris

I have added Kyron to the prayer intentions at virtualrosary.com The prayercast is live all around the world, I pray it daily... there's continual praying on that site 24/7. As prayers are added, each goes on a bead and they advance off as people add prayers around the world, so please, if you pray the rosary go to the site and add the prayer intention so that it keeps going. I apologize in advance if I'm offending anyone by mentioning prayer. We all have our beliefs. My mother is Methodist and has also put Kyron & his family on her prayercast. I am the mother of a child who was molested by a stranger and it gave me great comfort to know so many people were praying for her-

June 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MeInME

God bless and keep this Kyron, his family and all those whose mission is on finding him. Remember these people in your prayers, please.

June 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Char

Another child missing!

June 7, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CJsMomInSanDiego

Oh my, I'm just heart-sick to hear about this. I have a preschooler and these stories make me just want to implant a GPS chip in his body, and hire 24/hr bodyguards. What is this world coming to?? A child goes missing from inside his own school?!!

June 7, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debbie

I couldn't imagine my child being missing. If someone hurt my child.........and I knew who did it.......I would be headed to prison and you probably know why. My prayers go out to that family. Just brings me to tears. He is just a boy.

June 8, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. cyn

all this makes me wonder if i should home school my little one. who do u trust anymore with the most treasured gifts. our children. my heart breaks every time i see a story like this.

June 8, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Stephanie

Why haven't they mentioned that it could possibly be a kidnapping? Or what he was wearing? If anyone had noticed any thing or any one unusual!!! Also the step mother saw him walking down the hallway, and he just vanished. I don't think a 7 year old would think about ditching school. And it said no one at the school saw him after 8:45am. Does that mean that someone else besides the step mother saw him walking in the hall? Or at all for that matter? This story doesn't have to much to go on! If this was my son, I'd be flipping out, saying get more details out there, tell people what he was wearing, what he liked to do, questioning every person that was at that school that day to see if they had seen him!!!

June 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |