June 7th, 2010

Mexican authorities find mass grave

Mexican authorities over the weekend found 55 bodies inside a mine ventilation shaft that was used as a mass grave in the city of Taxco, officials said Monday.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. Swerve

Pat, How is it Obama's fault?

June 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kevin

That was a fascinating article! All the details must be stuck in cyberspace, but somehow the GIANT YELLOW FLASHING BREAKING NEWS ALERTS made it through. Thanks CNN.

June 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Swerve

DLG It
    that real funny

June 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. maxk

What do you guys think? Are you going to get the new iphone? Looks pretty cool...My old one is getting worn out.

June 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christine

There's something very wrong with many of the comments here... by joking about a human life being discarded by drug cartel criminals that are selling drugs to the American population. I'm thoroughly disgusted with those comments that are degrading to the Mexican people as though your life is superior to theirs. I'm not defending the Mexican people because they are part of my heritage, as my heritage is American with Scandinavian, Irish, Scottish and German decent. What's your next joke going to be about ... the loss of animal life in the gulf from BPs oil or the loss of Americans livelihood from the same oil disaster? Where's your humanity and your decency? Would the tone of this discussion change if all the bodies discovered were children?

June 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ....

Christine, Thank you. Its good to know there are real/wholehearted/caring people left in this world. Most of these comments made me sick.

June 7, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Human life is far too overrated.

June 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lee

What does Pres Of Mex Calderon have to say about this, I'm sure given enough time he can blame this on the USA.

June 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daszeev

I read Mexican press today... the body count is now up to 77 😦

June 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • starr

was there not a dead body stench?

June 8, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lee

To the people who feel bad about this in mexico. Stop giving us a hard time over the comments. This happened in a 3rd world country that does not give crap about the US or the people living here. So I'll say it " I do not care ".

June 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

or is it the other way around...

June 7, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christine

Stop giving you a hard time about your disgusting comments about a human life... men, women, children. These people were parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. One day you will be in need of help, whether large or small and the person who comes to your aid will be someone who's life you feel superior over. Amazingly you'll never understand the value of another human being and never appreciate what someone is willing to do for a complete stranger. You're no 'man' and no American that I'd ever want to meet, but if our paths cross I wouldn't give you the time of day because of your arrogance and no compassion.

June 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jon

Who?

June 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Liz

SO Joran van der Sloot, kills two women, on of whom is American, and possibly more women, and that's newsworthy,... but someone or some people possibly killed 55 people and dumped them in a mine shaft (mind you, we don't know if they were Mexicans OR foreigners) and some people here don't find that newsworthy....I hope i never become that desensitized.
    Btw, the article is short because it's BREAKING NEWS!!!

June 7, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tim Buckley

Won't everyone just leave me alone? I have problems with writing and spelling; and I'm also a ratard.

June 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ginny

Please. Those of us who weep at the surge in racism and inhumanity. We must speak out. This behavior of disrespect and violence shown in comments under news stories is growing stronger and stronger. I see it in emails I receive. I hear it in social settings. We accept torture and unimaginable cruelty. It must stop or we will be like soulless robots in some awful horror show. The story is of bodies thrown into a mass grave. But the comments are just as horrific. How many of those who made the hateful comments...how many of you could easily have stood at the edge of that pit and pushed another human in?

June 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Yeah, no problem. I play tons of video games and am completely de-sensitized.

June 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juadalupe Contreraz Garcia

Are you a mexican or lesbian?

June 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brandon Koga

I actually think the the story regarding the mass grave is sweet and romantic. For me, it's really the "feel good" story of the year. It's also pretty funny if you think about it.

June 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ken.

Recovering the bodies is proving difficult and dangerous Mexican police say 77 bodies have been recovered from an abandoned mine that appears to have been used as a mass grave by drugs gangs.

Human remains were first discovered in the silver mine near Taxco in Guerrero state at the end of May.

The bodies appeared to have been thrown down a 200m (650ft) ventilation shaft over a period of time, police said.

Only six have so far been identified – one was the director of a local prison.

Guerrero state is a focal point for drug-related violence that has claimed more than 22,000 lives in Mexico since 2006.

Police are now checking other mineshafts in the area to see if bodies have also been dumped there.

Morgues overwhelmed

Police and civil defence workers used breathing equipment to descend deep underground to recover the bodies.

They are taking photos and DNA samples in the hope of identifying the dead.

Some corpses have tattoos associated with the drugs gangs, police said.

Local morgues have been overwhelmed by the number of bodies.

While most of the drug-related violence over the past four years has been concentrated in northern Mexico along the border with the US, other regions have not been immune.

Guerrero, in the south and with a Pacific coastline, has also seen bloody turf wars for control of drug smuggling routes.

June 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ruffnutt

hey wait a second... this story seems just like that movie jeepers creepers...

June 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |