June 8th, 2010

Tuesday's intriguing people

Daryl Hall and John Oates

The Arizona Diamondbacks announced that the most successful duo in rock history has canceled its concert at Chase Field as a protest against Arizona's legislation to fight illegal immigration. USA Today reports that the performance had been scheduled to follow a game against the Dodgers on July 2.

Hall and Oates issued the following statement: "In addition to our personal convictions, we are standing in solidarity with the music community in our boycott of performing in Arizona at this time. We would like to emphasize that this has nothing to do with the management of the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have been professional and cooperative throughout our dealings with them. This is our response to a very specific action of the state."

USA Today: Hall and Oates cancel concert plans in response to Arizona immigration law

Hall and Oates website

Beth Holloway

The mother of missing high school graduate Natalee Holloway is scheduled to be in Washington on Tuesday for the opening of the Natalee Holloway Resource Center.

The nonprofit center will be located at the National Museum of Crime and Punishment and will provide families of missing persons help with managing their crisis and to give students advice on traveling safely.

The center's website advises, "Please contact us for any of the following reasons: Did a loved one go missing and you aren't sure who to contact or how to proceed? Do you need help coordinating efforts of finding a missing loved one?"

Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch citizen, was twice arrested in connection with the disappearance of Natalee Holloway during a 2005 class trip to Aruba. On Monday, he confessed to the killing last week of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez in his Lima, Peru, hotel room, Peruvian government authorities said.

National Museum of Crime and Punishment: Natalee Holloway Resource Center

CNN: Van der Sloot confesses to murder, authorities say

Rabbi David F. Nesenoff

The Jewish religious leader and founder of the website rabbilive.com conducted the interview with legendary White House reporter Helen Thomas that led to her sudden retirement announcement on Monday.

Thomas, 89, was considered the dean of the White House press corps, as she was the longest-serving White House journalist, who covered administrations since 1960 for United Press International and the Hearst newspaper chain.

She came under fire late last week when a YouTube video surfaced, showing her interview with Nesenoff in which she said that Israel should "get the hell out of Palestine" and that the Jewish people should go home to "Poland, Germany ... and America and everywhere else."

Nesenoff said Monday, "This issue was anti-Semitism, within 24 hours over a million views, we find out that someone who's been reporting for 60 years, this is what she's about."

The rabbi said that Thomas still owes the Jewish community an apology.

"My initial reaction is she can retire from her job but she can't retire from her responsibility to apologize for her comments," Nesenoff said. "There's a difference between telling your opinion and giving someone the finger, which is what she did."

CNN: White House correspondent Thomas retires amid controversial comments

Adrian Lamo

The former computer hacker says he did his patriotic duty and led federal officials to the arrest of a 22-year-old U.S. Army intelligence analyst who allegedly leaking classified military information, the U.S. military announced Monday.

According to Wired.com, Spc. Bradley Manning of Potomac, Maryland, leaked the classified 2007 video of an American helicopter strike that killed several civilians in Baghdad, Iraq, to the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.com, which posted the video in April.

Wired.com reported that Manning confessed to the leak in a series of online chats with Lamo. The former hacker, who said in Twitter posts that he turned Manning over to authorities, defended his actions on his Twitter page.

"I outed Brad Manning as an alleged leaker out of duty," Lamo wrote in one post.

"Hackers confide in me all the time. I'd go to prison before I'd betray their trust. I didn't get Manning arrested. He got himself arrested," Lamo wrote in a separate tweet.

CNN: Soldier accused of leaking classified info

Wired: U.S. intelligence analyst arrested in Wikileaks video probe

Wikileaks.org

Stephen Strasburg

The first overall pick of the 2009 baseball draft makes his highly anticipated debut with the Washington Nationals at a sold-out game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.

The Washington Post reports that the pitcher's most significant achievement so far was winning four games for the Class AAA Syracuse Chiefs during the past four weeks. But the newspaper reports that Washington, which waited 33 seasons for the return of a baseball team and has gone to the World Series only twice in 71 seasons, now has high hopes.

Adding to the anticipation, the Nationals on Monday selected 17-year-old power-hitter Bryce Harper, this year's No. 1 draft pick.

Strasburg, 21, said, "It's something I've dreamed about my whole life. And now it's going to become a reality."

The right-hander signed with the Nationals for a contract reportedly worth more than $15.1 million.

Washington Post: Stephen Strasburg debuts for Nationals, with the baseball world watching

1. Amee

I agree with LM, I think they should leave AZ alone and let them handle their problems the way which is best for them.
    I used to like Hall and Oates but now will not buy any of their music. I hate that too, because I really liked them.

June 8, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lucy

Hall and Oates are ignoramuses who cannot think for themselves. How can any American be against Arizona's decision to uphold the law. Don't these people realize that unchecked illegal immigration is ruining our country, taking jobs from Americans and bringing crime and a culture war? I STAND WITH ARIZONA, and I'll change the radio station whenever these pathetic rockers come on.

June 8, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Byron

THIS COMING FROM SUCH BRILLIANT LEGAL MINDS AS - Hall & who ?

June 8, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. JIMM ZEE

Jim Medina READ THE LAW YOU A55HOLE. THEY CANNOT STIOP YOU BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN. WHAT A DI CK HEAD!

June 8, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • TE

You gotta be a "BUBBA" You've never been stopped for driving while black, or pulled over for driving " IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD" THAT BUBBA PRIVILEGE CAN BLIND YOU..

June 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chuck

To Bubba: Arizona was actually purchased. It would be like me selling you my truck and then stealing it out of your driveway and telling the police it was mine first and I get to keep the money. Do some research BUBBA and get a clue.

June 8, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. PTP

These guys are still alive??? I thought they were dead. They are doing the PC thing to get headlines. Everyone else thought they were dead too! Might as well be now. Not that I was going to, but I certainly won't be buying their new CD now. Boys, you might think you're cool in California, but can they pay your bills? I know they can't pay their own. At this point a lot of people are wishing that California would just fall off into the sea, or at least become MUTE.
    That vacation I had planned to San Francisco won't be happening either. I'm going to a spa in Arizona instead.

June 8, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Barbara

MarkE...where are you??????? Why did you disappear just when it was getting good???

June 8, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Cause I reported him for trolling

June 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PTP

To Bubba: Sorry to tell you this, but you're an idiot and the "bubba" name isn't working on anyone. I'm sure you wouldn't want to run into a real Bubba....most of the ones I know don't take kindly to being made fun of.

June 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I am not an idiot. I went to Harvard and Yale and was president for eight years! FOOL!

June 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MarkE

i see a bunch of hicks with puters and too much time on their hands

June 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. huh?

Intriguing: Cnn bores readers with lame stories they find intriguing. I bore readers with this post.

June 8, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. JasonInAtlanta

so basically their fan base just went from around 20 people to about 15. Their loss! "Artists" need to stay out of politics.

June 8, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. George

I'm 56 years old, born and raised in Arizona as a child. At that time, I remember seeing many illegal aliens working in agriculture. As I recall, most people felt sorry for them toiling under the hot summer sun. They would work the agricultural circuit from Arizona up through British Columbia. As time went by and more came across, they spread inward to the interior of America and into other kinds of work. Now that as many as 20 million might be here, we want and need a solution to the problem. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of every state inventing their own way of dealing with this problem and yet I find myself also desiring a permanent solution that makes good common sense. At the end of the day, it's a federal govt. problem that has long festered and been ignored. I also feel sympathetic to the illegal aliens who are exploited by the
    American companies who continue to employ them. In all of this emotionally charged discussion, we find ourselves blaming the victim and not the businessess who entice them here in the first place.

June 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkE

i agree George

June 8, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

George,
      That was a great post. Thank you for sharing that. You are too intelligent to be talking to us. I find it interesting that we try to label people as criminal when they are trying to better the lives of their families. I think it would be criminal for them to stay in their corrupt, drug-ruled country. Why shouldn't we have open boarders? Are we worried about terrorists? I recall a few home grown ones doing some damage in Oklahoma City!

June 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brenda

Sad to hear this. I've been a fan of Hall & Oates for years. What were you thinking, guys?

June 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkE

their thinking they hate hate

June 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CATom

If I didn't know any better I would say that oates looks like a illegal. I bet he would be pulled over in arizona. Either by the illegal police or the gay police.

June 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkE

just my point. racial profiling

June 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AZ LEGAL Immigrant

Hall and Oates canceled - who cares? Who would pay money to watch these old "has-beens" - they're barely recognizable with all the plastic surgery anyway. There are LEGAL ways to enter this great country - I did it 20+ years ago - and now live in Arizona. People living outside the state should come here and see how bad this is - and see how much of their tax dollars are being used to fund illegals.

June 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |