June 8th, 2010

Tuesday's intriguing people

Daryl Hall and John Oates

The Arizona Diamondbacks announced that the most successful duo in rock history has canceled its concert at Chase Field as a protest against Arizona's legislation to fight illegal immigration. USA Today reports that the performance had been scheduled to follow a game against the Dodgers on July 2.

Hall and Oates issued the following statement: "In addition to our personal convictions, we are standing in solidarity with the music community in our boycott of performing in Arizona at this time. We would like to emphasize that this has nothing to do with the management of the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have been professional and cooperative throughout our dealings with them. This is our response to a very specific action of the state."

USA Today: Hall and Oates cancel concert plans in response to Arizona immigration law

Hall and Oates website

Beth Holloway

The mother of missing high school graduate Natalee Holloway is scheduled to be in Washington on Tuesday for the opening of the Natalee Holloway Resource Center.

The nonprofit center will be located at the National Museum of Crime and Punishment and will provide families of missing persons help with managing their crisis and to give students advice on traveling safely.

The center's website advises, "Please contact us for any of the following reasons: Did a loved one go missing and you aren't sure who to contact or how to proceed? Do you need help coordinating efforts of finding a missing loved one?"

Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch citizen, was twice arrested in connection with the disappearance of Natalee Holloway during a 2005 class trip to Aruba. On Monday, he confessed to the killing last week of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez in his Lima, Peru, hotel room, Peruvian government authorities said.

National Museum of Crime and Punishment: Natalee Holloway Resource Center

CNN: Van der Sloot confesses to murder, authorities say

Rabbi David F. Nesenoff

The Jewish religious leader and founder of the website rabbilive.com conducted the interview with legendary White House reporter Helen Thomas that led to her sudden retirement announcement on Monday.

Thomas, 89, was considered the dean of the White House press corps, as she was the longest-serving White House journalist, who covered administrations since 1960 for United Press International and the Hearst newspaper chain.

She came under fire late last week when a YouTube video surfaced, showing her interview with Nesenoff in which she said that Israel should "get the hell out of Palestine" and that the Jewish people should go home to "Poland, Germany ... and America and everywhere else."

Nesenoff said Monday, "This issue was anti-Semitism, within 24 hours over a million views, we find out that someone who's been reporting for 60 years, this is what she's about."

The rabbi said that Thomas still owes the Jewish community an apology.

"My initial reaction is she can retire from her job but she can't retire from her responsibility to apologize for her comments," Nesenoff said. "There's a difference between telling your opinion and giving someone the finger, which is what she did."

CNN: White House correspondent Thomas retires amid controversial comments

Adrian Lamo

The former computer hacker says he did his patriotic duty and led federal officials to the arrest of a 22-year-old U.S. Army intelligence analyst who allegedly leaking classified military information, the U.S. military announced Monday.

According to Wired.com, Spc. Bradley Manning of Potomac, Maryland, leaked the classified 2007 video of an American helicopter strike that killed several civilians in Baghdad, Iraq, to the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.com, which posted the video in April.

Wired.com reported that Manning confessed to the leak in a series of online chats with Lamo. The former hacker, who said in Twitter posts that he turned Manning over to authorities, defended his actions on his Twitter page.

"I outed Brad Manning as an alleged leaker out of duty," Lamo wrote in one post.

"Hackers confide in me all the time. I'd go to prison before I'd betray their trust. I didn't get Manning arrested. He got himself arrested," Lamo wrote in a separate tweet.

CNN: Soldier accused of leaking classified info

Wired: U.S. intelligence analyst arrested in Wikileaks video probe

Wikileaks.org

Stephen Strasburg

The first overall pick of the 2009 baseball draft makes his highly anticipated debut with the Washington Nationals at a sold-out game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.

The Washington Post reports that the pitcher's most significant achievement so far was winning four games for the Class AAA Syracuse Chiefs during the past four weeks. But the newspaper reports that Washington, which waited 33 seasons for the return of a baseball team and has gone to the World Series only twice in 71 seasons, now has high hopes.

Adding to the anticipation, the Nationals on Monday selected 17-year-old power-hitter Bryce Harper, this year's No. 1 draft pick.

Strasburg, 21, said, "It's something I've dreamed about my whole life. And now it's going to become a reality."

The right-hander signed with the Nationals for a contract reportedly worth more than $15.1 million.

Washington Post: Stephen Strasburg debuts for Nationals, with the baseball world watching

1. Chris

MarkE, I want to see your green card.

June 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jackie MD

George, I totally agree. Here in NY (not the city) there are illegals' working the fields. This immigration issue has been going on for years but it does need to stop. A first step is to keep illegals from getting in and then deal with the ones that are already here. I am not against allowing them to stay but there has to be some specific guidelines that will help not only the illegals but TRUE Amercians to better accept them. For example, we speak English in America so why do we need signs in spanish?, They should be required to learn and speak English. They need to be self-sufficient, don't come to this country and start giving birth and expect America to foot the bill. They need to recognize that they're being here is a privilege and that they will need to identify themselves and go through the process of legally becoming a citizen. I would like to think that someone who truly wants the "American Dream" would WANT to be accepted into society by going about it in a LEGAL way!

June 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sam

Here we go with another ignorant rant from someone who thinks that entertainers aren't supposed to have opinions on the issues of the day. I fully support Hall and Oates for taking stand against Arizona's short sighted law.

June 8, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ZOOMER165

I think we should all boycott there concerts. since they belong in a geriatric ward . these are the kind of idiots that no one wants to see anymore and don't matter because they should have quit touring back in the 80 's.

June 8, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

Deport Hall, Oates, and MarkE.

June 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Larrywp

I don't live in Arizona, but I plan on spending my vacation there this summer. I will spend money and time there; and now some friends are coming with us. Arizona is a beautiful and inviting place where all good Americans should visit and spend their vacation money. Hall and Oates should go eat some.

June 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. olderbutwiser

Yes, it would be interesting to see if Hall & Oates and the rest of the music/film/TV industry have the same view towards music pirating as they do towards illegal immigration. Perhaps a series of "Who cares about the law, steal our music!" concerts?

June 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alex Winter

When I think of a cutting edge, counterculture band who is incredibly relevant and writes truly thought provoking lyrics, Hall and Oates never comes to mind.

June 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MattW

Mickey Mantle will not be playing for the Yankees when they play in Arizona. He's dead, just like Hall and Oates' careers. But at least you still hear about the Mick.

June 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

You rock MattW!

June 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

I bet more Latinos from outside the USA are serving in our military than residents of Arizona.

June 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ZOOMER165

maybe there maid and nannies are illegals and they need them so there 24 year old wives
    can have a break from being married to people older than there fathers.

June 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KC Rick

What about illegal don't they undersand?

June 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Native

Before the United States of America was discovered the American Indians lived on this land and look what we did to them. All of us can trace our roots way back to someone in our family who migrated to the United States of America for a better life. Yes times were very different back then no health care, not that many taxes, people actually lived off the land but some things for this country will never change and that is, that we think we are better than the next person and we value our THINGS. God forbid we help the person who is struggleing out the door with a bag of grocery. We treat our elderly as if they are a burden instead of a treasure. We let TV raise our kids and we think that we should have everything the jones have. So, if you ask me do I agree with Arizona the answer would be No but I do agree that immigrants need to have the proper paperwork etc. to be here and not be here illegally. It doesn't mean that "We The People must show our ugly side and it shouldn't give anyone the right to be pulled over. Remember this when one state wants a National ID to identify a certain group of people, eventually "We The People" will all be carrying a National ID card and I don't believe God intended for us to live this way. Just one other NOTE the current President didn't start this mess, it's been going on for years and years and years. If all you can do is point the finger and play the blame game that makes you no better than the corporate crooks who rule this country.

June 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Josie

You guys are all idiots.
    Good for Hall & Oates.
    Everyone can live in la-la land and believe that racial profiling will not occur, but it's easy to do that when you're white. Protecting our borders is a joke too- if you want to crack down on the problems of the country, how about we target the big banks and big corporations who lie, cheat & steal.
    I swear it's all about money and what is "rightfully mine". There's no such thing as compassion and respect. It's all "me me me me me me me me me me me". It's pathetic.
    I just hope that it isn't one of your people who is wrongfully jailed, your family who has to deal with little to no food because you can't find a job, your 401k that went up in smoke because of big banks, your house that is being foreclosed because of big banks. If it is- you won't get compassion, it's no longer the American way.

June 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave

It is obvious that the GOP has turned illegal immigration into a scapegoat for the failure of the economy at Bush's hand. I think it is un-American to turn our backs on people that come here to work and escape poverty.

June 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • CINDY

DAVE WHY CANT THEY BECOME US CITIZENS AND IT DIDNT START WITH BUSH IT BEGAN WITH CLINTON

June 8, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |