June 8th, 2010

Tuesday's intriguing people

Daryl Hall and John Oates

The Arizona Diamondbacks announced that the most successful duo in rock history has canceled its concert at Chase Field as a protest against Arizona's legislation to fight illegal immigration. USA Today reports that the performance had been scheduled to follow a game against the Dodgers on July 2.

Hall and Oates issued the following statement: "In addition to our personal convictions, we are standing in solidarity with the music community in our boycott of performing in Arizona at this time. We would like to emphasize that this has nothing to do with the management of the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have been professional and cooperative throughout our dealings with them. This is our response to a very specific action of the state."

USA Today: Hall and Oates cancel concert plans in response to Arizona immigration law

Hall and Oates website

Beth Holloway

The mother of missing high school graduate Natalee Holloway is scheduled to be in Washington on Tuesday for the opening of the Natalee Holloway Resource Center.

The nonprofit center will be located at the National Museum of Crime and Punishment and will provide families of missing persons help with managing their crisis and to give students advice on traveling safely.

The center's website advises, "Please contact us for any of the following reasons: Did a loved one go missing and you aren't sure who to contact or how to proceed? Do you need help coordinating efforts of finding a missing loved one?"

Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch citizen, was twice arrested in connection with the disappearance of Natalee Holloway during a 2005 class trip to Aruba. On Monday, he confessed to the killing last week of 21-year-old Stephany Flores Ramirez in his Lima, Peru, hotel room, Peruvian government authorities said.

National Museum of Crime and Punishment: Natalee Holloway Resource Center

CNN: Van der Sloot confesses to murder, authorities say

Rabbi David F. Nesenoff

The Jewish religious leader and founder of the website rabbilive.com conducted the interview with legendary White House reporter Helen Thomas that led to her sudden retirement announcement on Monday.

Thomas, 89, was considered the dean of the White House press corps, as she was the longest-serving White House journalist, who covered administrations since 1960 for United Press International and the Hearst newspaper chain.

She came under fire late last week when a YouTube video surfaced, showing her interview with Nesenoff in which she said that Israel should "get the hell out of Palestine" and that the Jewish people should go home to "Poland, Germany ... and America and everywhere else."

Nesenoff said Monday, "This issue was anti-Semitism, within 24 hours over a million views, we find out that someone who's been reporting for 60 years, this is what she's about."

The rabbi said that Thomas still owes the Jewish community an apology.

"My initial reaction is she can retire from her job but she can't retire from her responsibility to apologize for her comments," Nesenoff said. "There's a difference between telling your opinion and giving someone the finger, which is what she did."

CNN: White House correspondent Thomas retires amid controversial comments

Adrian Lamo

The former computer hacker says he did his patriotic duty and led federal officials to the arrest of a 22-year-old U.S. Army intelligence analyst who allegedly leaking classified military information, the U.S. military announced Monday.

According to Wired.com, Spc. Bradley Manning of Potomac, Maryland, leaked the classified 2007 video of an American helicopter strike that killed several civilians in Baghdad, Iraq, to the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.com, which posted the video in April.

Wired.com reported that Manning confessed to the leak in a series of online chats with Lamo. The former hacker, who said in Twitter posts that he turned Manning over to authorities, defended his actions on his Twitter page.

"I outed Brad Manning as an alleged leaker out of duty," Lamo wrote in one post.

"Hackers confide in me all the time. I'd go to prison before I'd betray their trust. I didn't get Manning arrested. He got himself arrested," Lamo wrote in a separate tweet.

CNN: Soldier accused of leaking classified info

Wired: U.S. intelligence analyst arrested in Wikileaks video probe

Wikileaks.org

Stephen Strasburg

The first overall pick of the 2009 baseball draft makes his highly anticipated debut with the Washington Nationals at a sold-out game against Pittsburgh on Tuesday night.

The Washington Post reports that the pitcher's most significant achievement so far was winning four games for the Class AAA Syracuse Chiefs during the past four weeks. But the newspaper reports that Washington, which waited 33 seasons for the return of a baseball team and has gone to the World Series only twice in 71 seasons, now has high hopes.

Adding to the anticipation, the Nationals on Monday selected 17-year-old power-hitter Bryce Harper, this year's No. 1 draft pick.

Strasburg, 21, said, "It's something I've dreamed about my whole life. And now it's going to become a reality."

The right-hander signed with the Nationals for a contract reportedly worth more than $15.1 million.

Washington Post: Stephen Strasburg debuts for Nationals, with the baseball world watching

1. Schooschoo

Listen all, Arizona has a right to do what they think they need to do, and these performers have a right to express their opinion. Remember all, free right of speech, so don't slam them too hard.
    Isn't this the beauty of it, as long as it is legal, we can do whatever we want to, and say, whatever we want to. I want that right for myself. So they cancel their gig, great. Arizone makes a law that is controversial, great. I might agree or disagree with both, great.
    So at the end, why slam them? What is it to you? Give them the right to express themselves in whatever way they want to, and they chose.

June 8, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Frag

Wow, someone who actually knows what democracy is about! Amazing. I was beginning to think that everyone in America is a wanna-be Faschist.

June 8, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Reply to Frag....Oh I think we all understand Democracy and I would fight for Hall and Oates' right to boycott anything they deem doesn't hold with their beliefs. But if there were no debate, which is also prevalent in a Democracy (heck it's almost demanded!), then (1) There would be no blogs! and (2) nothing would EVER get done! Without debate and protests on both sides of a debate, causes would never get noticed, unjust laws would never be overturned, etc. I like these blogs where everyone just says what they think...I may not agree, and sometimes some people are a little raw, but we CAN say it and it's all cool!

June 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mike.m

As I read all the comments resulting from this story, it just makes me disheartened... it used to be that folks admired people for standing up for what they believe in, whether you agreed with them or not... here are 2 people explaining why they taking a stand on an issue, and most of the comments here immediately attack them for being "washed-up" or the like... other comments indicate that they should basically "line up with the majority" and/or "get real".... strange how the words in the other comments are full of anger; is this how you react to people in your lives who don't agree with you? I like to have real dialogue with people who see things differently than I do... things are so polarized with so many folks that real, productive dialogue to settle issues doesn't seem possible

June 8, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Ann Marie

I'm not sure we should applaud everyone who takes a stand for what they believe in, Klansman stand up for what they believe in and I'm fairly sure we shouldn't be cheering them on. I think a great source of the anger is from the hate speak coming from those against the law. This law (which I read) simply enforces the already decades old Federal law which is not being enforced. People are tying to enforce the law, they are standing up for the millions of immigrants who have stood in line and done it the right way. Instead of a dialogue the are greeted with calls of racism. This law and it's intent have been completely misrepresented and people have been branded as racists. That's just plain wrong. Since Messrs. Hall and Oates now have some free time I suggest they give a free concert for the families of the three college students killed by an illegal immigrant in New Jersey or for the young man in California murdered by the illigeal immigrant gang member. Please note, both of these killers had contact with the police prior to the commission of these crimes. Had the law been enforced -four young people might still be with us but I don't think that matters to Messrs Hall & Oates what seems to matter is that other musicians see them as "cool".

June 8, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Lawguy

How about admiring people for taking a stand IF they actually read the law, rather than follow left wing propaganda like sheep? Not much to admire about H&O, since they obviously don't have a clue as to what they're taking a stand against. On the bright side, they just saved me $15 since I don't need to buy their upcoming CD. That's just me taking a stand against stupidity.

June 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Reply to Ann Marie.....Very well stated!

June 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kev

I want to know how I am racist for standing up for my country and fellow americans (BLACK and White and Legal Mexicans etc..) I am against ILLEGAL's being in this country! Its bad when my poor mother retired from the state of Maryland and is on social security and my neighbor married a chinese woman who brought her mother and father over here (Who are illegal) and they took Alienization classes to become Americans and soon as they did, guess what? THEY GET SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS NOW!! WAY TO GO AMERICA! And you wonder why social security isnt going to be around for long... BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GETTING IT THAT NEVER PUT A CENT IN IT! This country is turning into the laughing pot of the World! Foriegners can get interest free government loans for 10yrs.... We Americans CANT GET DIDDLY SQUAT SH@#!!! You will wake up eventually Mr. Rob H!

June 8, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dean

They protest against someone upholding the law................Great show of supporting the people who made them rich. I'll let the illegal aliens support them in the future because I won't.

June 8, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Damiana

So Hall and Oates are soft on illegal activity by border jumpers? I bet they'd have a different take on people illegally uploading their music to the internet for free downloads by anyone who wanted it....not to mention those who take advantage of such sites to get free music. Hmmm.....::::scribbles on "Things To Do" list::::

June 8, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. joe

Nbody cares. Maybe the people of ARizona will boycott yur records and your concerts if you ever come there again. Horray for the State of Arizona. What part of illegal do people no understand/

June 8, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. joeyTheMouth

I will now start downloading hall and oates music ILLEGALLY since they dont feel laws are necessary to obey, and robbing them of their royalties...oh ..but i bet that wold be different...its ok for illegal immigrants to take money out of someone else's pockets....just not yours ...right ....stick to writing corny bubble gum songs guys.....its what your best at, and leave the politic s to the blue collar middle class...the people who ACTUALLY work for a living.

June 8, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Kev

Excellent point! To bad there isnt a like button for this post!

June 8, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Hahaha

Awesome comment!

June 8, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Sambo

What you will break the law because someone doesn't agree with you?? How pathetic. Your types cry about people coming over here breaking laws but yet you proudly baost you will.
      Give me a break.

June 8, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

@ Sambo; But yet no lecture to H&O for their encouraging guido rodriguez to break the law!

June 9, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Zethan Frankel

Hall and Oates will lose many fans due to their misguided politics. I'm surprised they even had any fans anymore. I had forgotten about them 20 years ago. I am grateful to Arizona for taking a stand on illegal immigration. I fully support Arizona and now will fully boycott Hall and Oates.

June 8, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. Zethan Frankel

You know...come to think of it....I can't even name a single Hall and Oates tune. I guess I'm not missing much.

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mytoys666

I guess you are just out of touch

June 8, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sambo

Thanks Hall and Oates for standing up in oppostion to this farce bill! I find it so hypocritical and funny some are telling them to "go to Mexico". What they can't speak up for causes and just because they disagree with how you think they are un-American??? Hypocrites i tell you.

WTG Hall and Oates, and to Jan Brewer: I hope the voters deport YOU!

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • WILDCAT-MATT

Hall & Oates and Jan Brewer are legal citizens of this country. They will no more be deported than an illegal immigrant that breaks the law and breaks into our country.

June 8, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Cooler Heads

Farce Bill? It's also the federal law. Nothing new. It's just not enforced.
      Quit listening to sound-bytes. Get truely informed, they speak. Please take your foot out of your mouth before you start to type.

June 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. infonomics

Dear Hall and Oates:

So grand and sincere is your chivalrous gesture that I thought it deserved more, so I posted your personal addresses and phone numbers on the border fence so that you can be more accessible to those you claim to care. You phony cliches.

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. DazedBoi

I love Hall and Oates...screw carzizona or nazizona or arizona all mean the same thing...neo-nazis in American disguise...can't believe our grandparents went to war against nazi Germany to have these horrible racial anti-hispanic laws passed in the disguise of immigration law...but God is watching and sad while hitler is proud of arizona...

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Brett

If you don't like it, I am sure there is plenty of room in Mexico for you and your thoughts to roam free and the Mexican people will welcome you

June 8, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Kev

Or just maybe (because they dont like americans) they might cut your head off and dismember your body and throw you in a abandoned mine shaft! Hows that sound?

June 8, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • DazedBoi

I am here and i will fight for human rights for everybody...unlike you who are hypocrites and cling to the bible and do exactly the opposite of what the bible preaches...love your neighbor...help the poor and needy...these are the things the bible preaches...it is easy to go to church every sunday and pray and act like you are a religious person in front society...but you can fool society but you cannot fool God...

June 8, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Cooler Heads

ILLEGALS can be any color, any race, any religion.
      God's sad you refuse to use the brain he gave you to make informed decisions....and Hitler is proud to see that there is STILL a world full of stupid, blind followers who can be manipulated, like you, to live by emotions and not reason. That's how he made it to power, with the support of unimformed morons.
      If Minnesota was seeing the same issue with ILLEGAL Canadians, and passed the exact same law, would it still be anti-hispanic?
      THINK before you type!

June 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Okay, so what you are saying is "screw the USA" since the AZ law mirrors the Fed law? That means that all of the USA are Nazis? That means you are a Nazi, because you live in a Nation where there are discriminating immigration laws. You think that the AZ law is anti-hispanic? It's not....it's anti-illegal aliens. But just for your information, just in case you didn't know it, Arizona borders Mexico. Therefore it stands to reason that most illegals would be from Mexico. If we bordered some other country full of white people and were cracking down on illegal immigration, would you be screaming about the law then?

June 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RM

When are we going to stop believing that celebrities (or in this case, ex-celebrities), have something special to say? These people are entertainers, not sages. They are singers, not doctors of philosophy or political science. It's really unfair to the common person to give these people, who live in a staged world of make-believe and fantasy, any credibility about what they think is happening in the real world. Safe in their multi-million dollar homes, many miles from the scene of the turmoil, they pontificate about what those affected by the problem should or should not be doing. STFU!

June 8, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. DC

Bad move boys......guess we'll have to start boycotting your music. Oh nevermind.......hardly anyone listens to your music anymore, anyways.

June 8, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Les

Perhaps if these "Entertainers" felt a little shock – for instance if they were boycotted, and their royalities plummeted, they might go Ouch! I will NEVER listen to another one of their songs. I am sick of these wealthy out of touch stars/starlets worrying about losing their housekeepers and gardners and perpetuating the problem. Hey bozos, people come here illegally because people like you hire them! Get out of my world.

June 8, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dr_Noo

Hall & Oates are just like the other lemmings and do what their managers tell them. They couldn't care squat about politics. They just want to do their music.

June 8, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |