June 15th, 2010

Kroger recalls ice cream

Kroger is recalling some containers of its Deluxe Chocolate Paradise Ice Cream, sold in 17 states, because it may contain tree nuts that are not listed on the label, the grocery chain said Tuesday.

Nuts can cause life-threatening reactions in people who are allergic.

The Kroger brand ice cream was sold in stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

The recall also affects Jay C, Food 4 Less, Hilander, Owen's, Pay Less and Scott's stores in Illinois and Indiana, Kroger said.

Read the Kroger news release.

Post by:
Filed under: Health • U.S.
  1. kris

Why is this a news story- this happens ALL THE TIME like literally every day... allergic individuals get emails from the food allergy and anaphylaxis network whenever theres a recall... literally every day... why is this one any different.

June 15, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • GuessQ

You'd be the first one crying about how unfair things are if this happened to you. Look at what the hell you're complaining about!

You sound like those clowns at AEI or the Heritage Foundation.

June 15, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Murphy

Interesting – My 4 year od son is allergic to tree nuts and I have never hear of the food allergy and anaphylaxis network, so clearly we do not recieve any emails. Assumed communication is ignorant on your part.

June 15, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina

You have no idea what people with nut allergies go through Kris. I have two kids with nut allergies, one is life threatening, and we do not receive e-mails on these updates. We have the allergy bracelets and belong to several groups, but we do not get these types of updates. These might not be important to you, but they are to other people. If you don't like them, skip reading them and let us who need them get their valuable information.

June 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kross

Maybe someone who is allergic didn't check their email. This is important information so stop whining.

June 15, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob Cooper

tell your buddy Cob to practice what he preaches....I responded to your whinning comment

June 15, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ken

Perhaps it is different because Kroger is openly admitting a mistake that could have legitimate health consequences for its customers. I would rather hear about the recall on the news with a wide distribution than some email list of which someone may or may not be a subscriber. I consider this an unusual case of corporate responsibility. Rather than hiding it or lying about it, they are informing appropriately.

June 15, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • candy

I'm a Kroger customer and I received a phone call from them about this. I don't have this allergy problem but it was most appreciated.

June 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob Cooper

To Kris and Kross...as a grandfather of 4 with tree nut allergies I appreciate any and all information....I find it curious that the two of you would react this way....No one is whinning and Kris for your information this allergy kills....You all need to get off your high horse and quit acting like complete ass holes!

June 15, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cob Booper

Hey Bob... Kross was making a point that it SHOULD be newsworthy. It may save a life or two. You need a speedbump between your brain and your fingers. Maybe you should read twice before responding.

June 15, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jenn

I just happened to be at Kroger last night when the older couple in front of me had one of the recalled ice creams. The cashier had to call someone over because the register told her something that she didn't understand - the recall. Guy comes over, doesn't understand what to do, calls for a manager (twice) and got no response. The old couple was disgusted that they were having to give back their recalled ice cream so the guy sold it to them. Is it really worth it? They didn't even know why it was being recalled for crying out loud.

June 15, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. john

No suprise. About two weeks ago I bought a Kroger product, some sunflower kernerls (sunfllower seeds without the shell) and was eating them and bit down on something as hard as a rock. I am suprised I did not break a tooth. The worst part is this happened about two days after I had just had oral surgery, so the pain was pretty bad. I called the company, they asked for information on the product, suprisingly there was no expiration date printed anywhere on the product, etc. If I had actually broken a tooth we are talking several thousand dollars in dental bills. All Kroger did was 'comp' my shoppers card $10.00. Needless to say I will never purchase a Kroger product again And irony of all ironys, in the upper right corner of the CNN home page...is a Kroger ad!!

June 15, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Teri

If you don't have a nut allergy, there is nothing to worry about and no reason not to buy it or to throw out any that you have. Just don't feed it to any unsuspecting guests.

June 15, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • 'Lil Snot-Nosed Tommy

How do you know if you're allergic to tree's nuts?
      This is one of my favorite ice creams! I have 3 in the freezer and am NOT taking them back.
      (I'm still alive, so guess I'm not allergic.) I think my ex is tho. May be time for a
      little ice cream social....hmmmm

June 17, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. dave

Kroger sux. Hard. At least the products that are edible. Stuff like napkins, razors, etc are fine, but if you eat it, spring the extra few cents for the name brand product. Just my opinion.

June 15, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. candy

I'll miss Kroger when I move. There's just no pleasing some people around here. Doesn't matter what happens, people will complain.

June 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sarah

Kroger did the right thing. Nut allergies are serious and people need to be informed if they've bought a contaminated product. It's the right thing to do. What's NOT the right thing to do is to ban peanuts from airplanes. Now you're infringing on my rights.

June 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob Cooper

The reason for banning on an airplane is that this allergy becomes airbourne......Most folks don't mind giving up nuts on an airplane if it can save a childs life....

June 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allergy Mom

Wait until YOU have a child with this problem Sarah. The fact that this is taken more seriously now than it was 20 years ago makes our family very thankful. You obviously are not at all educated on this particular topic! You eating peanuts on an airplane, sitting next to my son, may end up with a dying teenager in your lap. How's that for infringing on your rights....

June 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kam

Couldn't you just slap a sticker on them saying they have tree nuts? Would be a lot easier.

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. infidel42

@Sarah
    Peanut allergens can be airborne (see peanutallergy.com), which is why some airlines *voluntarily* don't serve them. They don't want to face litigation after someone experiences a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction in the air.

June 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Infringed Rights

geez, if your kids are so allergic that being in the same room or building with a person eating peanuts could kill them, maybe they're better off!

June 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. el poyo loco

Peanuts are just another way for the white man to keep the black man down.

June 15, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply