June 15th, 2010

North Korea rejects torpedo findings, threatens war

North Korea rejected Tuesday international findings that it sank a South Korean ship, warning at the United Nations that the dispute could lead to war.

"A war may break out any time," Ambassador Sin Son Ho said, accusing South Korea of "fabricating" the results of the investigation into the sinking of the Cheonan.

The loss of the ship and 46 sailors in March raised tensions on the Korean peninsula.

North and South Korea presented their cases to the U.N. Monday, and South Korea then urged the Security Council to take "timely and appropriate measures."

North Korea's envoy responded harshly Tuesday.

"If the Security Council releases any documents against us, condemning or pressuring us... then myself as diplomat, I can do nothing... the follow-up measures will be carried out by our military forces," he said.

United Nations Security Council President Claude Heller said Monday that the U.N. body is "gravely concerned" about the latest tensions.

Heller said the council is concerned over the potential "impact on peace and stability on the Korean peninsula" as a result of the March 26 sinking of the Cheonan in disputed waters.

"We presented and explained to (the council) the evidence that the Cheonan was sunk by a torpedo, which was made in North Korea, and launching was also done by a North Korean ... submarine," said Yoon Duk-yong, a science and physics professor serving as a civilian expert on the South Korean panel.

Yoon said the findings were based on evidence recovered after the sinking, including an intact piece of the torpedo with propellers, steering plates and a motor.

"We hope that on the basis of these findings," he said, "the Security Council will take timely and appropriate measures against the provocation of North Korea against the naval ship of the Republic of Korea."

But North Korea's ambassador disputed the international findings, comparing them to "some kind of fiction in Aesop's Fables.

"The 'investigation result' is a complete fabrication from A to Z," he said.

The council is calling on both sides "to refrain from any act that could escalate tensions in the region," Heller said.

The two-hour meeting was held behind closed doors Monday afternoon and was also attended by United States, Australian, British, Swedish and Canadian scientific experts who had participated in the investigation.

The Japanese ambassador to the U.N. made brief remarks following the two nations' presentations, saying "there is no other explanation" than that the South Korean ship was sunk by a North Korean torpedo.

"I think the council should react in a decisive manner, but at the same time try to avoid any act which may provoke" a retaliatory attack, Ambassador Yukio Takasu said.

North Korea has repeatedly denied any responsibility in the sinking.

Heller said a decision has not yet been made on how to respond to the incident.

"The Security Council will continue its consultations," he said.

Post by:
Filed under: North Korea
  1. openeyes85

it was a german made torpedo that sank the ship not north korean made, south korea uses german torpedos so does isreal.
    FALSE FLAG!!!

June 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DIXIExANGEL

North Korea is just crazy and wants to go to war

June 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

If the north wanted to simply go to war they would. the have incidents at the DMZ several times a week.

June 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T

The U.S. could not defeat them in the 50's, what makes you so sure you can beat them now? Also, do you really think that China is simply going to sit there and do nothing while 1000's of Nato troops try to push into North korea?

June 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SilkyMcNasty

the fifties were just that "the fifties". We now have a completely different military and military potential now.

June 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. T

McNasty, Korea is very Mountainous, armour is not very efective in that reagion, that was the biggest problem for the U.S. during the Korean war.

June 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. docdave1861

Now all we do is wait!

June 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Luke MN

If the Koreas go to war and Isreal joins the north does that mean Al Qaeda and the Taliban join the south? As terrible as war is I could laugh at that. Theory crafting on the interwebs can be a riot

June 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. T

It all boils down to this. The U.S. thinks that it can bully any country it wants, because they believe that they have such a great military. however the world has seen over the last few decades that the U.S. is not so tough, they could not win in Korea in the 50's, they LOST Vietnam, they have not been able to win in Iraq or Afganistan. The only conflicts they have won are the ones that the Boy Scouts could have done, such as Grenada, and Panama. the world is no longer afraid of you, and is completely sick of your school yard bully tactics. You people in the U.S. really need to wake up and change your ways before the entire planet abandones you and leaves you to rot!

June 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luke MN

So much hate. I bet you are from a country I find to be pleasant. ❤ you T

June 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

i suggest you look a little better at the military aspects of those conflicts, all were ended for political reasons, fear of russian nukes in Korea and fear of Chinese involvement sparking russian nuclear involvement in Vietnam. It is fact that there is no conventional military in the history of the world that can withstand the force of the fully unleashed United States Military, no one has seen it since WWII and we've gotten MUCH better at it since then

June 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. T

It is not hate, it is truth. I am an EXPATRIATE, I was an american, I now live elsewhere. I served in the U.S. Army for 9 years, I am a combat veteran, and I have learned from my mistakes. I wish no one harm, and look at each person as an individual.

June 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Luke MN

Hmm..ok. I feel ya pal! I'm not sure how we are losing the Afghan or Iraq conflict. But I also don't understand winning it. Winning is genocide of fanatics. Losing is genocide of infidels. At least at the extremes. I'm an American but hold no ill will towards those who hate me because of the borders I live in. I think everyone needs a ❤ given to them on the interwebs!

June 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jen

Man it is really sad to watch people's comment on this as a Korean. It maybe is nothing but you should realize that some ppl are actually facing it atm.

June 16, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |