June 22nd, 2010

Larry King telethon raises $1.8M for Gulf

A two-hour CNN telethon hosted by Larry King and Ryan Seacrest raised more than $1.81 million for Gulf Coast oil disaster relief Monday night.

Proceeds will go to the United Way, National Wildlife Federation or The Nature Conservancy.

Among celebrities taking calls and monitoring tweets were Jenny McCarthy, Tyson Ritter, Juliana Rancic, Victoria Principal, Ted Danson and Aaron Neville.

Post by:
Filed under: Gulf Coast Oil Spill • Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Capt. Mike Guidry

Mr. King I am from Cutoff which is just up the road from Grand Isle. I watched your show last night and want to personally thank you for what you done. I wish you would of took phone calls because I would of called in to talk with you. Again dont take me wrong I am SO THANKFUL of what you done, but I do have ONE gripe the stars you had on TV are JUST like our big stores during Thanksgiving and Christmas time. These big stores put out boxes for the food banks "BUY A CAN GOOD AND PUT IN THE BOX" With no match to what the public buys to put in the box more profit to the store and like those STARS last night WE THE PEOPLE made them what they are and THEIR MONEY. They could of all teamed up and matched what was raise from our program if they REALLY wanted to help and not just be in the lime light. An as far as that STAR TED DANZA wanting to stop drilling in the gulf and the rest of those folks that want to stop all drilling. Have them get rid of their cars and house hold products they use DAILY and see how much they need oil. Again THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

June 22, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ana Cristina Ramos

I cannot understand why there has to be a telethon, god knows how much money BP earns each quarter, but I can assure it's a lot more than what was raised by Mr King... When will these big corporations start taking responsibility for their mistakes???

June 22, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Objective

For that past 60 years, the good people of Louisianna and other Gulf states have elected people who pushed for deregulation of big oil. Now that the chickens are coming home to roost, they expect the rest of the country to bail them out.
    DEAL WITH IT.
    BTW, increasing domestic oil production doesn't decrease our dependence on foreign oil. It's a commodity sold on the world market. The ONLY thing that decreases our dependence on foreign oil is a decrease of our dependence on oil.

June 22, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Steven L

Come on, CNN raised $5 million in 2 hours for Haiti and $1.8 for gulf victims? Please, please give America another chance to contribute more.

June 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. doon

Text GULF to 46800 to get connectecd to the telethon

June 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Dr. Anthony Hayward

You can send all yur muney too mee Dr. King! You a beeg star here in amereeca and peeple lisen to yu (if theyre remote controll is broken). I reely thot that yu gais were gowing to make me and beepee pay for all of dis!! Evan thou there reely isn't tew much oyl! Good jeorb on fund raisers! Yay for me!

June 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. John Curtin

I live in California, but I wanted to thank CNN and all of the celebrities that helped out (especially Chelsea Handler, who was left off the article above, but was my favorite celebrity there). I think it's sad that more celebrities aren't trying to help out. When Haiti and New Orleans happened, they all came out of the wood work, but this was the first effort I've seen to raise money for those effected by this spill.

Yeah, it's BP's fault, but if we wait for them to fix it, it will take an exponentially longer amount of time to get back to normal. We need to come together as a country NOW to help save our citizens and wildlife. It's been over 2 months since the leak started and they are still no where near getting it under control. How long do you think it is going to take BP to pay everyone if they can't even cap a well?

If you were in the shoes of the folks in the Gulf, would you want to wait for BP to help you out?

June 22, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. john franken

Its good and all to raise and donate money for victims of oil spill disaster. But unlike other disasters this was caused directly by a multi million dollar company BP which has the money to help with relief. And being that they are responsible, relief should be coming from them , not from ] the pockets of Americans. Or in other words we should not let them off the hook. So event though giving money to the gulf coast is needed and appreciated it should not come from the American people but straight from BP. Which defiantly has the money if in fact the oil spill has not stopped its CEO's from vacationing.

June 23, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. vicki. klippel

I. Would. Like. To. Contbutre. To. The. Oil. Spill

June 23, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Den

The only relief being generated here is for BP, that is 1.8M that BP will not have to pay now. I mean really people, why are you begging American for money that BP is already obligated to pay? I am sure BP is thanking you for helping relieve the burden on them. This telethon was a joke! Did you forget about the $20 BILLION already in escrow for this very purpose?

June 23, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply