June 22nd, 2010

Oldest known images of apostles Andrew, John found

The oldest known image of the apostles Andrew and John have been discovered in catacombs under the city of Rome, dating back to the 4th century A.D., archaeologists announced Tuesday.

The paintings were found in the same location where the oldest known painting of St. Paul was discovered last year, the Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archeology said Tuesday.

Read the full post and check out photos

Post by:
Filed under: Italy
  1. CA Ed

Ok, can someone explain why we can find the modern images of Jesus and the Virgin Mary in everything from broken windows to burnt toast while the images of the Apostles look like a bad pastel portraits of Mr. Spock? .

June 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. George Bovs

Jesus is really called POKERSTARS

June 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Reality

But said findings do nothing to correct the flaws (resurrections, mythical angels, bread to body miracles, original sin, atonement et al) in the history and theology of basic Christianity.

June 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George Bovs

I did mary twice

Jesus knows

lol

xx

June 22, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • brad

i know he said the world will be joyful till they see the son of man coming in the clouds and sitting at the right hand of god if you had any backbone you would at least admit who you are why are these attacks 100 fold worse the last few years because anti christ spirit knows his time is up he that loves christ will never perish be not those jesus sais depart ye workers of sin i never knew you be gone into everlasting torment but those in the lambs book of life to the joy of the lord hope i see you all repent trust in him that loves you

June 22, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hannah....christ

pokerstars is the new name for jesus... full of rubbish n rip off merchants all fake... the bible all it talks about is.. football and s e x.... i quite " mary road josephs a s s all the way to bethlethem " 2) " jesus was layed in a tomb " 3)... " jesus come up for the cross ".... if only people could read between the lines the book iss filthy... and everything else is total rubbish... 🙂

June 22, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. George Bovs

Jesus was Gay.

He asked me to OUT him today

June 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. simonwigzell

I never quite got how that worked – someone died 200 years before I was born for since I had yet to commit. Or we are just born sinful are we? Another reason not to believe your silly religion.

I'm surprised these "earliest" images of the apostles aren't earlier. No I'm not. I know that Christianity was invented decades after the mythical death of the mythical Jesus.

June 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • simonwigzell

Bad typos, should read:

I never quite got how that worked – someone died 2000 years before I was born for sins I had yet to commit.

June 22, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hannah....christ

basically ............. ill lay down............... jesus can lick me.............. cos im more of a so called king than he will EVER be!!! n thats in my dreams lol!!! can u immagine what every 1s else immagination could occur... b4 u know it he was a king... that t bagged all disciples... mind u thats prob true...why dnt they write that in the bible? 🙂

June 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. George Bovs

Well jesus had it all............mary joseph and an ass

three of them

x

June 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lester G

Interesting archeology. I'm surprised by the late date though. By the time these were painted, Christianity was already the official religion of the Roman Empire.

June 22, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. turd

What if they show us pics and we spot something before a scientist does? How stoopid would that be huh? And what if there's another secret need to be kept? Right now they are makind an exact replica of the findings but a more censored one.

June 23, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Galbinus Caeli

Scientists actually love that kind of stuff. A group of middle schoolers recently pointed out an unnoticed cave opening on Martian satellite photos. The comet that hit Jupiter in the early 1990s was spotted by (and named for) amateur astronomers.

June 23, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rommel

Where can I see the photos you're talking about guys? I wanna take a look at it....

June 23, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |