June 23rd, 2010

5.0 magnitude quake strikes Canada; no major damage

[Updated at 5:20 p.m.] U.S. Geological Survey has revised the earthquake's preliminary magnitude to 5.0. The USGS initially assigned it a preliminary magnitude of 5.5.

Read the full CNN.com story

[Updated at 2:55 p.m.] There has been no major damage reported so far from an earthquake that hit Canada today, the city of Toronto said in a press release.

"In our initial assessment, there has been no major damage to City infrastructure. Further investigations are taking place to confirm," the statement said. "The Toronto Transit Commission and Transportation Services have reported that there has been no damage to their infrastructure or interruptions to service.

"The City’s Emergency Operations Centre is up and running in preparation for the G20 so the City is uniquely prepared to respond to the event. We will continue to monitor the situation and will report as necessary."

iReport: Are you there? Share earthquake images, video

[Updated at 2:42 p.m.] Barre Campbell, a spokesman for the city of Ottawa, tells CNN that there are no reports of major damage in downtown Ottawa.Campbell said he  witnessed self-evacuations of downtown buildings, but that people appear to be headed back into work buildings now.

[Updated at 2:32 p.m.] An operator at the Ottawa Hospital said she felt the quake for about 30 seconds.

Sgt. Marc LaPorte, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, told CNN that it was a "slight tremor" and there "doesn't appear to be any damage reported to date yet."

[Updated at 2:21 p.m.] CNN affiliate CBC in Canada is reporting that buildings in Toronto and Ottawa have been evacuated.

CBC also spoke with Kathleen Sullivan who was working on the eighth floor of an office in downtown Toronto when the quake hit.

"It was very peculiar because we could actually see the plants on our window shelf shaking," she told the CBC. "By the time we gathered in the hall and figured out it wasn't our imagination, it stopped. But it was easily a minute of things shaking.

[Updatd at 2:16 p.m.] The quake struck at 1:41 p.m. near the borders of Ontario and Quebec provinces, the USGS said.
It was about 12 miles deep.

[Updated at 2:15 p.m.] CNN affiliate WDIV in Detroit, Michigan is reporting tremors were felt in the metro area of Detroit.

Other tremors have reportedly been felt in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Cleveland, Ohio.

CNN affiliate WFSB in Hartford, Connecticut reported that some residents in Connecticut felt shaking. CNN affiliate WMUR in Manchester, New Hampshire reported that residents in New Hampshire also felt the tremors.

[Posted at 2:10 p.m.] An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.5 struck Wednesday in southern Canada, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Wednesday.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as we get it.

1. Bill

The cups hanging on the underside of my cupboard were rattling. I've hit one or two reaching for a light switch but not all of them. At first I thought 'quake', but, because it was windy, I just figured it was that. I was wrong.

June 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jackie

Felt it here in Batavia, NY parts shelf started rocking back and fourth slowly for about 20 seconds

June 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jabberhockey

Wow...a tornado in Toronto last year, now the city gets hit by an earthquake.....this stuff never happens here....what's next ??...the Leafs in the playoffs ??........no..sorry.

June 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Grant

Quake felt in Toronto, thats not all of Canada. Canada is not one big state like most people think. We have province's

June 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Texas Pete

Wow a minor earthquake. You all know the CNN drill for this. Panic! Terror! 2012! End of the World! Give me a break. About as newsworthy as rural Maine rotary club meeting.

June 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dave

5.5 magnitude quake strikes Canada; WOW all of Canada felt this???

What a LAME INCORRECT HEADING!

June 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

I'm feeling it now! And it's spectacular!

June 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. R Barry

I felt it in Brooklyn, New York.

June 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DMAN

I SURVIVED EARTHQUAKE 2010

June 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chuck Norris

Sorry about the quake everyone. I punched the earth. My bad.

June 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Megan

Native Californian here. How in the world did you guys feel that earthquake that far south in the states??? I have been through many 5.5 earthquakes and there is no way you would feel it living in PA, NY, WV.

June 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • SWOHIO

Megan, I don't know what to tell you – but we DID feel it here. It was all over our local news.

June 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ro

I live in Ohio and felt it - my chair shook

June 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • NLittle

Megan, this whole are is pat of the Canadian Shield. Also called bedrock. Can't get anything harder than that so when it shakes ... it REALLY shakes.

June 23, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

40 miles from upstate NY to the epicenter. 300 to NYC.

June 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Megan
      The reason the quake was felt in a wider area is because there is fewer earthquakes in the Eastern Part of the United States so there are fewer breaks in the land. This allows the shockwaves from the quake to travel over a further distance leading to people in a wider area feeling the quake. This differs than what we may feel in California because Earthquakes are a common occurance so there are more breaks in the land to where the shockwaves would stop leading to less people being able to feel a similar size quake here for example

June 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SWOHIO

I felt it here in West Chester, Ohio...a suburb north of Cincinnati. Wasn't very strong, but my chair rocked back and forth for about 10 seconds.

June 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Motherhen

Syracuse NY

June 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NLittle

I live north of Toronto and I felt it. Having lived in Californa .. and taken the ride there too, I have to tell you that an earthquake on bedrock close to the surface (12 miles down) is ALOT different than CA where they tend to be deeper and ground cover a lot different. Got to love the sound of the rumble though. It got all of the horses attention.

June 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debbie Murphy

I live in Ottawa which is 53 km (32 miles) from the epicentre. I was outside when it struck, man, never felt something like that before. My antique clock stopped, at least I know it's running 3 minutes slow, hope everyone is o.k.

June 23, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |