June 23rd, 2010

5.0 magnitude quake strikes Canada; no major damage

[Updated at 5:20 p.m.] U.S. Geological Survey has revised the earthquake's preliminary magnitude to 5.0. The USGS initially assigned it a preliminary magnitude of 5.5.

Read the full CNN.com story

[Updated at 2:55 p.m.] There has been no major damage reported so far from an earthquake that hit Canada today, the city of Toronto said in a press release.

"In our initial assessment, there has been no major damage to City infrastructure. Further investigations are taking place to confirm," the statement said. "The Toronto Transit Commission and Transportation Services have reported that there has been no damage to their infrastructure or interruptions to service.

"The City’s Emergency Operations Centre is up and running in preparation for the G20 so the City is uniquely prepared to respond to the event. We will continue to monitor the situation and will report as necessary."

iReport: Are you there? Share earthquake images, video

[Updated at 2:42 p.m.] Barre Campbell, a spokesman for the city of Ottawa, tells CNN that there are no reports of major damage in downtown Ottawa.Campbell said he  witnessed self-evacuations of downtown buildings, but that people appear to be headed back into work buildings now.

[Updated at 2:32 p.m.] An operator at the Ottawa Hospital said she felt the quake for about 30 seconds.

Sgt. Marc LaPorte, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, told CNN that it was a "slight tremor" and there "doesn't appear to be any damage reported to date yet."

[Updated at 2:21 p.m.] CNN affiliate CBC in Canada is reporting that buildings in Toronto and Ottawa have been evacuated.

CBC also spoke with Kathleen Sullivan who was working on the eighth floor of an office in downtown Toronto when the quake hit.

"It was very peculiar because we could actually see the plants on our window shelf shaking," she told the CBC. "By the time we gathered in the hall and figured out it wasn't our imagination, it stopped. But it was easily a minute of things shaking.

[Updatd at 2:16 p.m.] The quake struck at 1:41 p.m. near the borders of Ontario and Quebec provinces, the USGS said.
It was about 12 miles deep.

[Updated at 2:15 p.m.] CNN affiliate WDIV in Detroit, Michigan is reporting tremors were felt in the metro area of Detroit.

Other tremors have reportedly been felt in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Cleveland, Ohio.

CNN affiliate WFSB in Hartford, Connecticut reported that some residents in Connecticut felt shaking. CNN affiliate WMUR in Manchester, New Hampshire reported that residents in New Hampshire also felt the tremors.

[Posted at 2:10 p.m.] An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.5 struck Wednesday in southern Canada, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Wednesday.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as we get it.

1. H. Kirby

Got a ride in Green Bay WI.

June 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Office

We felt it in Kentwood (near Grand Rapids), Michigan!

3. Margi

Felt it in Kingston. not too exciting, but people won't shut up about it now.

4. Tom Brooks

Also in Vermont. Definitely a pretty good jolt.

5. j'NeX

We felt it in Corry, Pennsylvania. Lasted like 10 seconds.

6. Paul

Felt it in Cornwall, Ontario.

7. Mia

We felt it here in Dayton, Ohio. It even caused a power outage where people were trapped at University of Dayton.

• Mia

Meant..trapped in an elevator.

• In Montreal

No, it didn't cause a power failure there. I am 50 miles from the epicentre at the QC/ON border, and it caused only a mild shaking here. As usual, the Americans are overhyping the situational and everyone has to claim they felt it and it was huge. Get over it.

June 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

@Montreal

That's a dumb thing to say.

That's not a typical Canadian view, folks. Just ignore this guy.

June 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

As usual, Canadians are super-boring. Curling anyone?

I didn't feel it, but a 7 story office building in downtown Cincinnati was evacuated.

June 23, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yvon

I believe you.... not all Montrealer are stupid as the one that just looked at his little navel...
      as I wrote earlier :

Rare in Canada; 2nd in my life and I am 54.

On the joking part.... somebody wrote it was at the border of Quebec and Ontario.... and tomorrow is Quebec National Day, occasion for patriot and separatist to express their opinion on Quebec becoming a nation, independant and separated from Canada.

May be it is the first sign that finally Quebec is starting the separation process from the rest of Canada; physically first and politically after ! lol.

Bonne Sant-Jean-Baptiste à tous les québécois !

I am a born Montrealer and Quebecer; hope you all see this as a joke.

June 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chantal

I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and on the 7th floor of a highise.

• OttawaDude

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

June 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. keith

felt it in downtown Cincinnati.

10. Tami

Strange felt it in Parma ,Ohio

11. james

I get the feeling you felt it.

12. Karen

Rochester felt it we all went outside, good fun
    in a building 8 stories tall

13. Linda Davis

Just speaking to a friend in Orillia, Ontario Canada and she thought her couch was possessed cos I was shaking and said when she stood up on the wood floor she could feel it in her feet. She thought her dead husband had returned from the dead she said until I read her the time of this occurance and it was the exact time.

14. mph

In toronto, walking around the downtown core and didn't feel anything. People in office talking about whether it was earthquake or helicopters.

• Wally

I'm in downtown Toronto, a block away from the G20 parameter, on the 12th floor of a 21 story esidential concrete building, was lying back on a bed studying, and it started to sway underneath me. Nothing was "shaking", I looked around the room as I was in a loft 8 feet above the ground for the last big tremor here and I recognized what was happening ~ I just couldn't believe it.

For today's quake the blinds were still, my cat was clueless, but I felt this pulsing underneath me, hello Mother Earth, for about 30 seconds I guess? This building is almost 30 yrs old but concrete everywhere. Not a nice feeling that it would sway that much for a 5.5 quake., and this time I was only 2ft above the floor on a solid frame.

I went online, sort of disbelieving my hunch, and what do you know, a quake felt all over the place. Hope she's gone back to sleep.....

June 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Douglas

Just east of Toronto and working from home. The house was shaking, cabinets rattling and felt the floor swaying as everything in the room was moving. Pretty cool !