June 28th, 2010

Sea turtle eggs being moved to Atlantic

A sea turtle egg relocation project has been started in hopes of keeping hatchlings out of the oil that's spreading through Gulf of Mexico.

Henry Cabbage of the  Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said they have  started digging up sea turtle eggs in nests  in Florida's Panhandle.

The eggs are being moved to a secure facility in Cape  Canaveral, Florida, where the turtles will be released in the Atlantic Ocean once they're hatched. Cabbage said the fear with leaving the eggs on the Gulf Coast is "the turtles wil ride the current into the oil."

The  eggs will be collected three times a week from now until November.

1. DonD

Ms Lea The bad guys won this battle, it cost us the Gulf at least for the rest of my life time. Do not let them win the war.Fight for your kids and Grand kids to have a future!! We die a little with each time another animal becomes extinct, life is less, we lose a lot when we lose the Gulf breeding grounds. Use the pain to temper your resolve, look deep inside, as the Native American Saying We have fed the wolf of darkness, and it is about to consume us, find the wolf of Light inside yourself and find the strenght and clarity to see what you can do.

June 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sarah-rt

I am a graduate student at the University of Florida working on sea turtle behavior & have done a significant amount of research with top sea turtle experts on sea turtle development in terms of how they navigate and utilize the Earth's magnetic field to navigate/return to their natal beaches, basically we still do not know exactly when this magnetic imprinting occurs & we are not sure if the hatchlings which are currently in nests in the gulf will be able to recognize/comprehend the magnetic field they will encounter in the Atlantic Ocean. but as many of you have previously stated I do think that moving the eggs are a much better solution than exposing them to the oil in the gulf.

June 28, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hennie Hopkins

I was on Pensacola Beach last evening for a prayer vigil/meditation for the Gulf. After the event I went for a walk on the beach. I was looking for turtle nests, and thought I had found one, but discovered that the clean up crew is using the same type markings for clean up notes,
    I am glad they are doing what they can to help the turtles. I have been blessed to witness both the laying of eggs by mama turtles and the returning of the babies to the gulf, on Siesta Key several years back. A, beautiful memory.

June 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ditch Bank Observer

Can you believe that it sounds as if most of us are in agreement for once. That is, an effort is being made without cat calling and (pun intended) oil slinging, Obviously nobody really knows what a Turtle thinks or does not think or can think. It just goes blindly on the merry path of life as imprinted. Sounds like most Humans.

June 28, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anonymous

yippy! more turtle soup and fried turtle legs for me! keep up the good work guys.

June 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MJ

This is the best news I have heard since all of this, at least some organization is realizing we have to relocate some of the marine life before it is too late even if half survive its better than the alternative, now why can't we do it for the bottle nosed dolphins, sharks and many other species? When the going gets tough, the tough get going, I am no where near this tragic slaughter of the Gulf, but if I were I would be out doing everything possible without pay!!!

June 29, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. aroth

Quick, drill more! We need jobs and we haven't destroyed the environment thoroughly enough yet.

June 29, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gweedo

It saddens me to see a few very ignorant comments above. I agree that those people's mothers should be supervising them more closely. One of my former student interns has been down there for a couple of years working her butt off trying to save turltes, and she is directly involved now with moving the eggs. But to the point: for those of us too far away to help directly, please identify specific places to send contributions, where you KNOW the dollars will be used most effectively!

June 29, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Patroler in Florida

Bring to Jacksonville we have great beaches and will give them the help they need.
    We have seen a 70-80% increase this year in crawls. This is probaly from the relocation of Turtles that were on driving beaches,some 20 years ago.

The Government needs to let the EXPERTS take over, not greedy politicans.

June 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. OneWay

Simple solution: 1) Call America to repentance for her unbelievable sins, 2) Humble ourselves before the One True God, 3) Seek His forgiveness, 4) Ask Him for a miracle to stop the oil and help us find a solution to clean it up. He just may if we are serious about it. Why not try – what has anyone got to lose, except their pride, which we can all do without anyway.

June 29, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barb in Michigan

Wouldn't it be better to let the eggs hatch where they're laid and THEN move the hatchlings? I can't imagine any of the eggs surviving if they're dug up and flown away.

June 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mark

I think the sea turtles should go to the British Virgin Islands as there is a healthy protected environment for them, I know if you read this its going to upset alot of people, it being a British territory and all, but it is a Santuary for turtles with ample safe grounds and food. After all is it not about the turtles survival. maybee they can be tagged to track them and brought back at some point.

July 4, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lis

These turtles need to be tagged and BP needs to pay for it. How else are we going to know what becomes of them?

July 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |