July 7th, 2010

Officials: Brazilian goalie suspected in murder of woman

Police in Rio de Janeiro are searching for a high-profile soccer player accused of orchestrating the kidnapping and murder of a woman believed to have been a former lover, officials said Wednesday.

A judge in Rio de Janeiro issued an order Wednesday for the arrest of Flamengo goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes Souza and his friend, Luiz Henrique Ferreira Romao.

Both are considered suspects in the disappearance and murder of Eliza Samudio, according to court documents. Samudio was last seen with Souza as they headed for his country home in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais in June. Her body has not been found, authorities said.

TV Record, CNN's affiliate in Brazil, and CNN have confirmed that seven arrest orders have been issued in Minas Gerais for other suspects. Five people have been arrested, including Dayane Souza, the goalie's wife.

A 17-year-old boy in Minas Gerais has allegedly confessed to taking part in the crime, Minas Gerais police chief Edson Moreira said in a news conference. But Moreira said the young man's confession is under question, and said Souza is now considered a fugitive.

Flamengo soccer officials told CNN that Souza has been suspended until the allegations and legal issues are resolved.

Souza's attorney, Michel Assef Filho, was not available for comment.

Post by:
Filed under: Brazil • Justice
  1. Carlos

Hey I'm Brazilian and I think Bruno Flamengo's goal keep is suspect of murder of Brazilian model.

July 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Clara

The globo.com noticed that the police found part of the her remains in a house with 11 dogs (Rottweiller). It seems they tried to get rid of the body giving parties for the dogs ...
    A murder cruel and shocking, but in Brazil there is no death penalty!

July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Justice

In Brazil people are not punished for the crimes they do specially when they are rich, Bruno has been beating women for a few years and this has been publicly known. Nothing has been done, the Woman has gone to the police and told that she has been threatened by him and nothing was done. Now she is dead, he and his family and friends participated in the awful killing of this young woman because she had a son with him.

July 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Justice

Flamengo is a team that is supported by drug lords and criminals, they have both Adriano and Wagner Love who are involved directly with the drug traffic of Rio and now a murderer as well.

July 7, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Fausto

O Flamengo tem até um bom time, o que mata é o goleiro.

July 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ANDERSON DIAZ

OH MY GOOD

July 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. There's no justice in Brazil !

I am Brazilian I live in Toronto, Canada for five years. I just got back from Brazil this week and I have been following this case. However, I would like to express my outrage and sadness on this case.It's a shame that a person like a successful soccer player had the courage to destroy his own career just like that! All of this because of money? Or Jealousy? Does this man not thought about the consequences? Now that it’s almost certain that Bruno has killed Eliza mother of his son. I hope that the Brazilian justice will keep him in jail for long time, which I doubt he'll be arrested for so long because in Brazil there is no always justice specially for those that has a lot of money. Bruno and his partner “Macarrao” has to be punished on this crime.
    In addition, I cannot understand how a human being can be that cruel to another innocent human being just because of jealousy or vanity of money. “Crying….”
    What hurts me the most is that she was so young, beautiful, healthy and full of life, but her life was cruelly interrupted. In this case, I believe only in God's justice on the other side, I don’t believe in the Brazilian’s justice because there’s no justice in Brazil. I've been praying a lot for Eliza because I know her spirit is suffering a lot.
    Rest in peace Elisa and God bless you.
    Daniela Rodrigues
    27 years old

July 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. FELIPE

isso é um absurdo mo tiraçao o que ele fez vai sofre nas leis do homem e justiça divina.

July 8, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Michelle

All this is so grotesque. I can't believe someone famous or not is able to do something so terrible. If Bruno and his "friends" did all this horrible thing, they really need to go to jail which is nothing to what we have heard so far here in Brazil. Unbelievable and creepy.

July 9, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Daniel

As anything involving the upper class in Brazil, no credible punishment will be given. I can guarantee that 20 years from now, nothing major will have happened to this guy. That's how Brazil is. There is no effectiveness in the judicial branch.

July 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. daniela

I totally agree with the last post.

July 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply