Police in Northern Ireland said Saturday that they suspect a roadside bomb that exploded in a border county was a lure, designed to draw them into the area.
District Commander Chief Alaqsdair Robinson said in a statement that the explosion on a road leading to the village of Newtownhamilton caused significant damage to both the road and a nearby bridge.
Images appearing to show former Cuban President Fidel Castro surfaced Saturday on a pro-government blog, which claims the photos were taken Wednesday.
The photos apparently show the 83-year-old ailing Castro meeting with people during "a surprise visit" at the National Center of Scientific Investigations in Havana, according to a blog published by columnist Rosa C. Baez.
The Cuban government was not immediately available to comment on the authenticity of the photos, and CNN's attempts to reach the Havana-based blogger were unsuccessful.
It would be the first public appearance made by the former Cuban leader since he stepped down from power in 2006 to undergo intestinal surgery.
Raul Castro was formally elected president in 2008.
Heavy rains caused flash flooding across the Boston metro area Saturday, stranding cars and causing damage, the National Weather Service reported.
No injuries were immediately reported.
Flash-flood warnings were issued for four counties in eastern Massachusetts, and 2 to 4 inches of rain fell in the region, according to the weather service.
A Brazilian goal keeper, whom police named a prime suspect in the disappearance and murder of a woman said to be his former girlfriend, has refused to answer questions on his alleged involvement, police said Friday.
Investigators in the state of Minas Gerais said Bruno Fernandes Das Dores de Souza, who played for Flamengo football club, orchestrated the murder of Eliza Samudio, 25. Her body remains missing a month after her disappearance.
Minas Gerais police investigator Wagner Pinto told reporters Thursday that Souza watched as Samudio was asphyxiated, mutilated and eventually fed to dogs. He said the details surfaced during a confession from Souza's 17-year-old cousin.
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday signed a $20 million settlement for Jaycee Dugard, a woman who was held captive for 18 years by a convicted rapist who had been under the supervision of the state.
Parole officers saw and spoke to Dugard during visits to the home of the man accused of holding her captive, but they never questioned why she was there, California officials disclose in newly released documents that figured in the settlement.
At least three parole officers spotted Dugard at the home of Phillip Garrido, a convicted rapist who had been under California state supervision since 1999, according to a June memo from the California attorney general's office. On at least one occasion, a parole officer spoke to her and one of her daughters, whom investigators say Garrido fathered during her captivity.
Fugitive Raoul Moat, wanted for the shootings of three people in northern England last weekend, died early Saturday after shooting himself, police said.
Moat, 37, shot himself around 1:15 a.m. (8:15 p.m. ET Friday), Northumbria Police said. No gunshots were fired by police, and Moat was pronounced dead around 2:20 a.m., they said.
A spokeswoman at Newcastle General Hospital confirmed Moat died shortly after arriving there.
His death brought to an end a week-long manhunt that had the small northern English town of Rothbury on lockdown and dominated national news headlines.
A former police officer convicted of involuntary manslaughter for killing an unarmed man in Oakland, California, apologized to the public and described his memories of the moments after the shooting in a handwritten letter obtained by CNN.
In the letter, Johannes Mehserle said he was "truly sorry" for killing Oscar Grant.
"For now, and forever, I will live, breathe, sleep, and not sleep with the memory of Mr. Grant screaming 'you shot me' and me putting my hands on the bullet wound thinking the pressure would help while I kept telling him 'you'll be okay,'" Mehserle says in the letter. "I tried to tell myself that maybe this shot would not be so serious, but I recall how sick I felt when Mr. Grant stopped talking, closed his eyes and seemed to change his breathing."
Mehserle's letter was dated July 4, four days before a jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter for shooting 22-year-old Grant on an Oakland train platform on January 1, 2009.
[Updated at 3:50 p.m.] Crews removed a containment cap on the ruptured underwater well in the Gulf of Mexico, BP said Saturday afternoon. The next move will be placing a better-fitting one on the well.
Live video Saturday afternoon showed robots removing bolts from the apparatus so that the new cap can be positioned. Oil was again flowing freely during the transition.
[Posted at 10:55 a.m.] Speaking earlier in a conference call with reporters, BP senior Vice President Kent Wells said the sealing cap operation is expected to take four to seven days, with favorable weather helping the process along. In upcoming weeks, there will be an increase in oil containment work.
"As we start to ramp up the additional containment capacity, we should see less and less flow," Wells said.