July 19th, 2010

Obama rips GOP for blocking jobless benefits extension

President Barack Obama tore into congressional Republicans on Monday for blocking an extension of unemployment benefits, arguing that a "partisan minority" had allowed short-term political calculations to trump genuine economic need.

The Senate is set to consider a bill Tuesday that would extend the deadline to file for unemployment benefits through the end of November. The bill would cost $33 billion in additional deficit spending, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Senate GOP leaders have blocked a vote several times, highlighting deficit concerns by arguing that any benefits extension should be offset by spending cuts. Democrats are counting on the seating Tuesday of the replacement for Sen. Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia to break the logjam.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Economy
  1. PH53

The nerve of rich white guys, with 401k, and pensions, telling the unemployed (through no fault of their own) no check for you. But all the time, recieving a free check, and free meals, compliments of the taxpayers. These bums don't even work for the American people. Just the corporations, Chinese, United Arab Immerants, and the British.

July 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cindy

Speaking for myself and my husband, both unemployed and not getting unemployment benefits due to the lack of extension being passed....we are NOT looking for a hand-out. We would NOT rather be on unemployment than working. My husband makes a 3 figure + income when employed, which is NOWHERE near what he was getting for unemployment.
    Those of you who believe that the Extension would bring an increase in taxes, need to take a look at what happens to people with no optiions left..Welfare.. and where do you think funding for that comes from?

July 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josaphine

i agree. i dont make a three figure income plus or any where near that but i did make enough to get by and pay the bills month to month. now though? no extentions no work its real hard especially when your only 22 with a 3 year old to support. its hard, i have to take hand outs now thats my only way of getting by.

July 19, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Smith in Oregon

Of course President Obama and nearly all of the Democratic party and politicans are ripping Republican potty'ticans over their crass and callous obstruction and filibustering the extension of federal unemployment insurance payments while the Republican potty'ticans have poured Hundreds of Billions of American taxpayer dollars into the greedy pockets of Harmid Karzai and his major Heroin exporting Karzai Clan in Afghanistan along with a handful of War lords and filled the pockets of the enemys of India in nearby Pakistan. But to hell with 2 Million unemployed Americans who helped build America and make America what it once was before the horrific Bush Family era.

A silent victim in this yet another massive transfer of American taxpayer dollars to Afghanistan and Pakistan is America's senior citizen's programs across America which were slashed to practically non-existent levels recently. Many had worked they entire lives supporting and helping America, now they are treated by the Republican Potty'ticians like disposable trash and seen as a drain on their corporate's special interests, instead of the dignity and respect they truly deserve from all Americans.

July 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SAM AND LINDSEY WITH 2 KIDS

One thing Republicans have to remember is that everyone on unemployment once worked. No one just decided to go on unemployment. You cant quit your job and receive benefits. You have to have been let go due to no fault of your own. Me and my wife and kids have only been on it for 1 term each and now we have no income. We have exhausted our savings and 401k, and the funny thing is, our tax dollars that we payed when we were both employed don't help us now. We cant get any fedal assistance what so ever. We are the middle class and backbone of the country. The working class that live week to week but refuse to go on welfare. Now when we need welfare and government benefits, we aren't eligible, we now aren't even eligible for umemployment. This is bull. I have to beleive that like me we just want a job. We were working before, but now we dont want too. Sounds kinda stupid. I don't wish this on anyone, going from paying bills and takeing care of your family to now depending on family and friends to help you do it. This just isn't fair. But oh yeah, we just want a free check that wont even pay for half our bills. Well the REPUBLICANS can take my unemployment and take my dignity, but the one thing I still have left is my RIGHT TO VOTE, SEE U IN NOVEMBER

July 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. christine

You know it's sad when you have to sell your pain medication to pay your rent.

July 19, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gr

Im a (Rep) But! I think they need to pass the bill to help those folks out.
    Go ahead Mr Obama get the money from china. We will never be able to pay it back anyways.

July 20, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Will

All in all, this is ridiculous, the republicans won't let it pass, and the democrats won't agree to cut federal spending in other areas... The republicans are punishing the (once) hard working American people because the Democrats won't cut spending...

Here I am, having worked, paid taxes, and all, and now I can't even collect unemployment while my grossly in-ethical former employer refuses to pay my last wages, and I'm waiting on another job... what options do I have, besides drug peddling and enlisting in the army (which won't accept me until DADT is repealed)...

July 20, 2010 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Speed

War on Terror cost 1 trillion! Imagine this money is divided among all Americans! We would all be millionaires! Hooray! Where did all the money go?

July 20, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gabriel

Our Founding Fathers warned us of an enemy, not foreign but domestic, that was worse than facing a standing army. THAT enemy, with its “tributaries,” has bled our country to death, creating such national debt. Yes, we contribute to our own demise, but these clever guys have long taken advantage of the sad loss of moral equilibrium, giving a push over the precipice rather than a pull to safety. See my 3 yr. research findings, NOT quoting any “conspiracy theorists,” and let good & bad people speak for themselves in quotes. See our little site at londonchristianstandard.com Then under Articles, see the one starting “THESE TIMES” etc. It’s NOT about Obama. Please study it patiently. See “The Money Masters” link on p. 14.

July 20, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. RT

Truly, I feel bad for everyone in Pakistan & pray for their safety, but America's government seems more concerned about other country's than they do their own country. Sorry for the sob story, but I just went and spent my last $30 to food for my wife & daughter for the next 10 days due to unemployment in America. we live in a house for now with electricity & the internet only so I can try and find a job I have no money to interview at because my unemployment benefits have stopped and food is needed before gas to travel around looking for a job. but thank God the kids in Pakistan will have a hot dinner in these troubled times in their country, I wish I could say the same for my kid. My daughter started high school this year and never before has she started school with out new clothes, this is a year she will never forget.
    I wish the best of luck for everyone in Pakistan.

August 24, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |