Tuesday was all about ex-USDA official Shirley Sherrod, who said she was pressured to quit her job after she was accused of making racist comments. Those remarks were part of a video clip that was posted over the weekend on a conservative blogger’s website and subsequently aired on Fox.
CNN picked up the story Tuesday morning, telling Sherrod’s side of the story, and by Tuesday night there had been a complete 180 in the matter. Those who initially criticized her, including the NAACP, have now said they were duped by the clip. U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday that he’s reviewing Sherrod’s case.
- Last week, the NAACP accused the Tea Party of protecting racist elements in its movement.
- Over the weekend, conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart published part of a video of Sherrod giving a speech at a March 27, 2010, NAACP dinner. In the 2 1/2-minute video, she appears to be talking about how she treated a white farmer in a 1986 case. At the time, she was not employed by the USDA. Her remarks seem racist.
- Fox News picks up the video, airs it and writes about it on its site.
- Monday, Sherrod resigns. She says she was pressured by at least four phone calls from her superiors telling her the "White House" wants her to leave her job as the head of the Department of Agriculture's rural development office in Georgia.
- Tuesday morning, CNN breaks the story about Sherrod's resignation.
- Sherrod defends herself on CNN, saying her comments have been taken out of context. She urges everyone to watch the full video of her speech in which she goes on to tell the audience that she learned from working with the farmer that all people must overcome their prejudices.
– The NAACP and pundits such as CNN's Roland Martin are critical of Sherrod.
- The white farmer and his wife tell CNN that they stand behind Sherrod and call her a friend. They say she actually helped them save their farm from foreclosure. The farmer calls it "hogwash" that anyone would accuse Sherrod of being racist.
- By midafternoon Tuesday, CNN reports that the White House is denying any involvement in Sherrod's resignation.
- Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says he stands behind the department's actions and the White House played no role in the matter. He cites the agency's "zero tolerance" policy on discrimination in explaining her ouster.
- Tuesday evening, the conservative blogger who first posted the video, Andrew Breitbart, talks to CNN's John King. Breitbart says his actions were "never about Shirley Sherrod" but about the Tea Party and the NAACP. "This was about the NAACP attacking the Tea Party, and this is showing racism at an NAACP event," Breitbart said. "I did not ask for Shirley Sherrod to be fired."
- By Tuesday night, the white farmer appears on "Anderson Cooper 360" to talk about his experience with Sherrod, calling what has happened to her "ridiculous."
- The NAACP says "it was snookered" by Breitbart and now wants the USDA to rehire Sherrod.
- Wednesday morning Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says he'll investigate whether Sherrod was treated fairly.
Man we have been fighting this fight for more that 400 years and we still fighting. White folk we won't get tired cause you are not the masser anymore. Yes the Masser is what I meant PJ. I get so angry sometime when I look at the ignorance that owned my ancestors. Nowhere near superior... You bigots spend so much time hating the color of my skin and you do not even know why. That is pure ignorance on the part of you bigots. Tim and PJ may God have mercy on your republican soles... You hide behind your sheets and guns without real courage.
You're and idiot.
Some of the people (black) on here have talked trash about white people.
With this said, MOST of EVERY other culture (color) do not like blacks, NOT for the color of their skin, BUT because of their culture. A new "afrocentric" for the middle class blacks who think they are are better then whites and those lower class blacks. The lower class balcks which do nothing but ensure EVERY stereotypes are just proven true.
If black Americans have it so tough here, leave. Go back to Africa and live in starvation and civil war. WE (white people) already had a civil war for people that have, as a mass, proven to be ingrates and not worthy of OUR ancestors blood. MY great grandparents fought on BOTH sides. THEY fought against themselves over the RIGHT for a BLACK American to HAVE rights.
Black Americans think they have it soooooo bad. Damn you WHITE AMERICA!!!!! You wont let a brotha rise himself up!! Get real. The only paths that black American choose is either work hard and enjoy what you worked for OR be lazy and blame everyone else and as we NOW see, the ones that HAVE money are the one who say the WHITE MAN is still holding us down.
Maybe Cosby IS right. You only hold YOURSELF down. This is 2010. Start finding the faults in yourself instead of blaming ME.
Oh, and Sherrod, she is racist. If I had said the EXACT same thing people would have rioted and it would have given black Americans MORE ammo to say "SEE.....................LOOK at the white devil!!! "
I can see both sides of the story. This is not a cut and dry case. In the video she made the statement that she turned the white farmer over "to one of his own". The way she phrased that and the undertone bothers me. I also agree with the posters that that assert that if the roles had been reversed and this had been a white person saying the same thing about a black person there wouldn’t be anyone standing up for her. So I guess what you are left with is what was her intent. I do firmly believe that her intent and the message she meant to convey is that we each have to work on eradicating prejudices from our heart and mind.
This is why I love CNN the only news network that cares about the facts not just the story.This lady was treated poorly by so many people.I truly wish one day all this hatred would stop but I guess this will happen when JESUScomes...IT is sad the state that AMERICA IS IN! WE should all take a lesson from this. CNN KEEP THEM HONEST ..PS CAN'T WAIT FOR JOHN KING AND THE MAGIC MAP AGAIN. HI TO WOLF, CAMPBELL,RICK AND TO ALL THE CNN PEOPLE OOPS HI ANDERSON COOPER AND LARRY KING
I'm still waiting for the NAACP and Jesse Jackson to say something about the New black panther party.The NAACP is a front for Obama.They threw her under the bus at first to save themselves.
Sad. Now all of a sudden. Blacks are the racists. We beat no one. We enslaved no one. We didnt pass Jim Crow laws to subjegate anyone (Plessy vs Furgeson) Emmit Till to Bull Conner to David Duke to The Order to The Jenna 6. we control nothing. We have zero power and we can still be stopped and beaten in brad daylight just for driving a nicer car than the police think we should be driving. We can dis like a group of people. But we dont have the power to rule over them and control them in a negative way. The Tea Party and Repubs called her a racist and the Government hung her out to dry. Shame. Whites are still afraid. Blacks are still the targets. Denial. Racism is still alive. They just traded their hoods for membership to a certain party and a Glen Beck bumper sticker. Shame on you people.
The Story was made up. And the caucasions brougth a huge rope. Just like they have always done.
a long time ago this was going to happen. We just need to keep rdivoping them with the opportunity to do it. They are guided by so much hatred that rational thought gets lost in it.Don't you just love the tolerance and humanity exhibited by the members of JournoList? I especially liked the woman from NPR. One could not write such destructive drivel for them if one tried, but our Lefty friends, yeah I know we are the enemy, sure love to think of their opposite number dying or being killed. As I said the Left would kill all who disagree with them if they thought they could get away with it. NOTE one commentator's desire to see another commenter BURN. These little Freudian slips are indicative of deeper hostilities.
The White House, the media and the NAACP all failed to have properly vetted the story before coming to a conclusion. The WH through her under the bus just as they didi the cop in Boston without taking the time to learn the whole story, the NAACP failed to live up to protect it's own people and then blames everyone else for their mistake when they had the complete video in their Gerogia office of the NAACP and did not look at it for a day and the media just took the story at face value. Funny how CNN fails to tell, that she resigned from pressure from the WH before FOX ever aired the video. Keep watching CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and you will never learn of anything close to the truth or what is happening in our Government or our Nation.
Dana Loesch was on LKL last night or the night before and she brought up Shirley Sherrod in the context of pointing out that she is a racist. Now tonight on LKL she is acting the fool and trying to pretend that it was all wrong.
Dana, get a backbone, you're slimy.
I sincerely hope Roland Martin's mama slaps the Hell out of him. Way to show you have no concept of previous generations' sacrifice and hardship. You look at children today and think how ignorant and self-righteous they are, we are looking right into the mindset of the way they were raised when we hear him speak.
WHY, after what she said, should I believe her "tale" of "had you heard ALL of what I said..........."
Well, let me hear it. NOT from her racist mouth but from the video. I heard a longer version and WHEN she was talking about NOT giving him the FULL measure, OTHER black racists were clapping. SO, tell ME if they HEARD what I heard, THEY must have been mistaken to her rightious "yes WE can" BS. I cant see how other black would be applauding at the fact that she STUCK IT TO HIM and SHE PROVED SHE was in AUTHORITY........... BS.
SHe is now back sliding and trying to make it seem better. Show me the video that she is saying that WE are not seeing.
NO ONE should say sorry to her.
BECAUSE OF A BLOGGER? THIS TYPE OF PERSON(S) DISTRACTS EVERYTHING THE GOVERNMENT ACCOMPLISH. UN-AMERICAN; AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERN, YOUR NO BETTER THAN TERRORIST. NEED TO TO BE HUNTED DOWN AND PROSECUTED. YOU AND I KNOW IT'S THE CONSERVATIVES DOING THIS, JUST TO MAKE THE DEMOCRATS AND ESPECIALLY PRESIDENT OBAMA LOOK AS THOU HE'S NOT A LEADER BUT REALLY IS A CLOSET RACIST INFERIOR BECAUSE OBAMA IS PASSING BILLS LIKE FLYING COLORS AND MAKING HISTORY ONE AFTER ANOTHER. CONTINUE TO SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS. SOMEONE WHO HAS A SPIRIT GREATER THAN OURSELVES HAS GIVEN THE PRESIDENT STRENGTH TO OVERCOME YOUR EVIL WAYS. DO AS YOU WILL.
IT'S NOT SATAN AND YOU ANGELS OF SATAN. DARKNESS WILL FALL HEAVEN KNOWS. I TELL YOU THE TRUTH, NO MERCY ON YOUR SOUL. YOU WILL RECEIVE THE DOUBLE-EDGE SWORD. REAL EYES CAN SEE.
Were the journalists in the Sherrod affair so much different than the blogger? Moreover, are bloggers who provide news not journalists as the "journalists" claimed after getting the story wrong?
This story is false. CNN Posted a story regarding the Sherrod Resignation on July 19. CNN story link July 19.
This women in my mind is not a racist she was to me just catering the minds of those at that particular event. But yes for her to say she didn't give the full force to the white farmer is implying that she would to the black farmer. This just shows that no matter what race you are ignorace shows up on everyone's face.
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.