July 23rd, 2010

Al Jarreau hospitalized on tour

Singer Al Jarreau "became weak from the altitude" in the French Alps and was hospitalized Wednesday, forcing the jazz singer to cancel several shows in France, Germany and Azerbaijan over the next week, his publicist said.

Jarreau was admitted to an intensive care unit after he arrived in the resort town of Barcelonette in the southern French Alps, the publicist said in a written statement.

"He is now awake and his first question was to enquire about his wife, Susan, and his second question was to ask about his tour dates," the statement said. "He is always thinking about other people."

His condition was stabilized, but the doctor advised Jarreau to take a few days off of his tour to recover, it said.

Post by:
Filed under: France • Showbiz
  1. Patsy

He is a national treasure. I saw him in Country Club Hills and he is nothing short of fabulous. Al take care of yourself, get your rest so you can get back on the road.

July 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kate K

Get well soon Al. I love you. You are a great talent and one of the finest gentlemen in jazz today!

July 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. JulieAnn Scarborough-Hamilton

All Jarreau quite literally saved my life when my Dad was dying in 1995. I had just come to know and love Jazz the year before. My first marriage had broken up, I'd had uterine cancer and melanoma, my only daughter had just recently died and I was working hard to lose a large amount of weight. His music came at the one time in my life that I wasn't so sure that I would be able to make it through losing my Dad too, but, thank God, the songs on the many CD's that I bought somehow just pulled and pushed me along to not only survive but overcome the things I'd dealt with, and I will be FOREVER GRATEFUL to him just for 'being there' when his music was so very much needed for me. I pray that he will recover very quickly and be back soon at doing what he loves so dearly; that of singing and thrilling all of us who have come to dearly LOVE both the Man and his Music. I dream of seeing him perform live in Atlanta, GA someday, as does my husband. (Married 2001) God Bless you Al. Always, JulieAnn in Georgia, USA

July 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erin

You are amazing! My son recently passed away and I have days when I don't know if I can go on...you have inspired me...I was just reading about Mr. Jarreau and there you are! Thank you.

November 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole Marie Briggs

Al Jarreau has always been my favorite Jazz singer. He has brought so much joy to my heart... and in tough times I have always listened to him and he has brought me up from feeling low. Though the years I have attended several of his concerts as well as festivals... One festival... in Coachman Park in Clearwater, Florida... I was in the front row singing every word with him and he happened to glace over and say sing it baby!!! He is such a special person and I pray for him and his family. I love you Al!!! Hang in there...we all need you pretty music and those incredible scat tunes...Nicole oxoxoxoxox

July 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. 70slady

I have been "so sad and so distracted"!!! Get well soon!!!

July 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply