July 26th, 2010

Serial killer in Philippines targets expats, their gadgets

Police in Philippines are on the hunt for a “gadget-obsessed” man suspected of murdering three foreigners in separate attacks in the northern city of Angeles.

The victims - an American, a Canadian and a Briton - were among nine alleged victims of 28-year-old Mark Dizon, The Philippine Star newspaper reported Monday.

"We are launching a massive manhunt against Dizon," the city police chief told ABS-CBN news station.

Dizon, a computer technician and reflexologist, is suspected of killing retired U.S. Air Force serviceman Albert Mitchell, 70, his wife, Janet Andrenada, 53, and their three domestic helpers last Thursday, the newspaper reported.

He is also suspected in the killing of Briton James Porter, 51, and his 22-year-old Filipina girlfriend in their home a few days earlier. Police also suspect Dizon killed Canadian passport-holder Geoffrey Bennun, 60, and his 20-year-old Filipina girlfriend on July 12.

Police alleged Dizon shot his victims, all of whom he had known, with a 9mm pistol, then stole their electronic gadgets, which he then pawned.

Police said a pawn shop owner surrendered a laptop, camera, and cellular phone which were believed to have been pawned by Dizon.

Authorities said Dizon seemed to have an “abnormal obsession” with gadgets, as he robbed his victims of their laptops and other digital equipment, leaving behind jewelry and other personal valuables.

“It is possible that the suspect wanted some information on the computers that could enable him to transfer bank accounts or get access to the pensions of the foreigners,” city police chief Senior Superintendent Danny Bautista was quoted as saying.

Luisito Tan, a police commander, told the Philippines Inquirer that an expat living in the city, who asked not to be identified, has offered P100,000 (US$2,168) to anyone who could provide information that would lead to Dizon’s arrest.

Post by:
Filed under: Philippines
  1. Philippinesphil

My God. I followed some hits back to this site from my site and can't believe the ugliness of some of these comments. No wonder I don't normally read comments like these. Mr Bolton was killed in an apartment within sight of where I now sit. I can literally throw a stone and hit his place from my front yard. I didn't know him but I know people who knew him and they all speak well of him. My best wishes go out to his daughter Becky. On the subject of young girls taking up with older guys over here, most of the girls who do that, as in my own 34 yr old wife (I'm in my 50s, I met her 10 yrs ago), do so AFTER having been abused used and cast aside by younger local men. These girls have had their fill of good looking smooth talking irresponsible young guys and are quite happy to be with someone who will cherish them AND their children. Yes, its true, these girls REALLY do fall in love with us older fellows and for good reason. Cheers. http://www.philippinesphil.blogspot.com

July 28, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • gem

cheers...

July 28, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Hi just read your post. We are friends of James Bolton,and He will be sorely missed by his family and friends, our thoughts go out to the other victims as well. His family are trying to raise money to fly James home for a burial they have set up a facebook page called " bring our dad home" where people can donate, we are trying to help his family as much as possible after this devastating news, James was a fantastic bloke. We are asking if you could pass this on to fellow ex-pats and any one who knew James out there. His family are desperate for help and dont know how much time they have. You are the first person we have found that is close to where James lived and was wondering if you wouldn't mind spreading the word on the fundraising appeal.
      Sarah

July 28, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mike clark

IM TELLING THE PEOPLE OF ANGELES, TIME TO ARM YOURSELVES BY ANY MEANS NECECESSARY AND TAKE IT BACK TO THEM MURDEROUS DOGS!

July 29, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mike clark

TO 234 U FORGOT HE WASHED IT DOWN WITH FINELY BROKEN UP GLASS MIXED WITH MOSQUITOES!

July 29, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Trev Earl

Becky

I am so sorry for your loss, Jim was a good friend and one of lifes genuine people. It was an honour to know him.

Ignore the idiots on this site, you do not have to justify your dad to anyone, especially morons who have no sense of campassion.

July 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarah

Well said Trev Earl. Jim was a good friend of ours too and we shall miss him. Some people should keep their thoughts to themselves and hope nothing like this ever happens to them or their loved ones. R.I.P Jim Bolton

July 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

60 Year old men and 20 year old women, Sick, Sick, Sick (Pedophiles)

August 2, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. sarah

james bolton was not a pedophile! some of you people are so ignorant and nasty... We knew james bolton very well and i can tell you now he was definately no pervert.... maybe you haters are all jealous coz u got no chance of getting a young woman yourselves! Was any of the women murdered underage? NO! Families are greiving for their loved ones taken in the worst way imaginable and all you can do is call them pedophiles... You should all be ashamed....

August 3, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Minister Pearce

I just finished 4 years of Missionary work in Cebu, I have relevant answers in all areas as I was onsite. 1st there are no police, the immigration people have their "game" and the best people to stay away from are the "partially educated. It's the simple people I loved and helped out in the provinces. In some city areas after dark,,GO HOME, and it's getting worst. About Women/Ages, I did my work and found the a wonderful women and have a 1 year old son that I'm trying to get out of there. Why d you think everyone in the RP are trying to get out, the government could never keep up with its growth.
    But watch out, you can't complain there,your looked down upon by "Limited Mentality" people that try to work your money and it's normal. Well, I'm not guilty of marrying a child bride because over my 61 years, I've dated and dumped 40 US ladies, no thanks. It's "just different", and only those that have experienced it, understand it. The RP is tragically in trouble. I would only visit, ONLY visit! As god is my witness, I have only touched the surface here. delacorazonfp@yahoo and may all those that "jumped" here, PLEASE, patience in all concerns. Love to all Minister Pearce/Ontologist

August 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Steve

No.......Pedophiles go to countries like, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Philippines because they "know" they can roam freely commiting their "sick", "sick", "sick" ways...on these very poor and desperate people.
    Hey minister you went to the philippines...(To help)....but they have allot of poor people in the U.S. !.
    (Something seem fishy here)

August 14, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. dr britt

@ MORGAN.."Go over to europe to open your eyes and realize why half the globe wants us nuked for our prejudices".....are you kidding me??? WHO CARES ABOUT EUROPE??? Chicks there dont even shave! GOD BLESS AMERICA, anywhere is crap.

August 25, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jotunheimm

in the philippines where the police force are of near utmost incompetency... careful serial killing can easily be ignored...

March 8, 2014 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply