August 2nd, 2010

Bill Cosby: I'm alive. Now, please cut it out

Bill Cosby is used to winking at internet rumors of his death. But after another one spread Monday, he said he hopes people will give the hoaxes a rest.

After false news of Cosby’s death spread by Twitter on Monday - "Bill Cosby died" was a trending topic on the microblogging service - the 73-year-old comedian talked to CNN's "Larry King Live" to prove he still is around.

"I don't want [whoever spread the rumor] to do this anymore, because this is my fourth time being reported [dead]," Cosby said by phone to CNN’s Kyra Phillips, who was sitting in for Larry King on Monday night.

Cosby used his wit to counter previous rumors. After the first, he borrowed a Mark Twain quote about reports of his death being an exaggeration.

But Cosby said Monday's rumor felt different. He said it left one of his friends in tears before he realized it wasn’t true.

"I don't know. Maybe a psychiatrist will say I'm feeding [the rumor starter's] ego, but I just want to say to friends of that person: Just tell him to stop, because it isn't funny."

On his own Twitter account, Cosby still went for a bit of humor Monday when refuting the rumor.

"Again, I'm rebuttaling rumors about my demise. But, I'm confirming I have an app," Cosby wrote before linking to an iPhone application featuring clips of the comedian's performances.

Post by:
Filed under: Bill Cosby • Showbiz
  1. Dr Anvil

This just in, Bill Cosby is indeed dead. Truly a sad day.

August 3, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. mrrealtime

Wow, a journalist gets the chance to talk to Bill Cosby and and she has no idea who Steven Wright is. Pretty face and nothin upstairs I guess. Sad. So many more worthy people out there who would have been experts on comedy, the genre, and done some research first to find out who Malcolm Jamal Warner was. CNN -> you have destroyed journalism!

August 3, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. PAT

I guess all the women he drugged would be upset....if he hasn't settled with them yet.

August 3, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

Hang in there Bill.....people are cruel

August 3, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • noreason

yeah bill if you can hear us in the grave send that doppelganger of yours out

August 3, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Say WHAT?

Probably some racist loser, or some black self-hater who posts rumors of Bill's death. I love Bill. We are from the same area and I admire him for getting out of North Philly and making something out of himself, unlike the fools who have nothing better to do than to post stories about him being dead.

August 3, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. buke56

We have some elderly people in my family (who doesnt, right?) that everyone worries about and watchs closely because they are at an age where they may die. Its a phone call you can not prepare yourself for even if you know such a tragedy is imminent. Having the media broadcast such a lie can be cruel. Stop it, its not funny to those who constantly worry for the elderly in their family. Verify it first before you broadcast it to the world. Its the classy thing to do.

August 3, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. AMP

Whoever spread this rumor must be a jerk. Bill has entertained the world so nicely not only that he has helped many in many ways. I wish him the best of the best for healthy,happy and long life. We need people like him.

August 3, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. karen

Glad to know he is well.

August 3, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Patricia A Lewis

I feel sorry for anyone whos life is so boring that they have to pretend and spread the word that a living person has died. Grow up, do something with your life.

August 3, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. psmail2

James T. West - James T. Kirk.

August 3, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bman

Cosby.. give us back our Rascals!

August 3, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan R

That's an urban legend. Not true – http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/rascals.asp

August 3, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Futon Torpedo

Bill may not be dead, but I considered his career dead after Ghost Dad & Leonard Part 6. Sheeze.

August 3, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Doug

No problems with Bill Cosby still being alive... But, um...... Can someone tell Jello that we'd like Puddin' Pops back from the dead as well? PLEASE?!

August 3, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Exposo

Years I had a friend who was a stage hand in the NYC area. He told me about how Cosby had come to town one day to put on some sort of show. The minute Cosby walked in, he was fired along with all the white stage hands and they were replaced with black stage hands.

August 3, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • 1jimmyhoffa

HEEEY HEEEY HEY they needed the work!!!! LOL

August 3, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. 1jimmyhoffa

Hey I just heard on the news that Bill Cosby died.....I will miss him. HEEY HEEY HEY!!!

August 3, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |