August 12th, 2010

JetBlue flight attendant: What really happened?

he attorney for the flight attendant who activated an emergency slide to exit a plane at New York's JFK Airport after allegedly cursing over the plane's public address system is optimistic he'll reach a settlement with prosecutors.

"I think we'll reach a satisfactory outcome for all sides," Howard Turman said Thursday after revealing he had held discussions with the Queens district attorney's office.

JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater is charged with two felonies - reckless endangerment and criminal mischief. If convicted Slater could face a theoretical maximum of seven years in prison.

A spokeswoman for the prosecutor did not respond directly to Turman's optimistic remarks.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. lori

To those who think what Mr. Slater did was funny or cute? I ask you how would you like to fly on an aircraft with a pilot who was fed up with passengers and used the intercom during flight to tell you exactly how he felt about all of you? How many would find that amusing? People as unstable as Mr.Slater do not need to be in any position where they are in charge of someone's safety. Lori (Former Flight Attendant)

August 12, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • CT

I'm a pilot and I agree.

August 13, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I don't think what he did is funny or cute.

But I am disturbed by a trend in society: when someone is under so much stress that they snap like this, they're the bad guy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think people should do this kind of thing willy-nilly, but I also think we need to take a hard look at why these kinds of things happen and deal with the causes, rather than treating the victim like a criminal.

No, I don't think he was right in storming off, but I do believe that he's not a criminal, either. He's suffered a lot of abuse and trauma, enough to make him snap. Putting him in jail isn't going to make anybody safer; it's just going to turn this guy in to a real criminal. Instead, JetBlue needs to take a look at his professional history and find out why he went off his rocker. Did he have a history of being stuck with difficult passengers? Is his job or assignment unusually stressful? Does this boy need a long vacation? Does he have an untreated medical or psychological disorder?

Chances are that JetBlue is going throw him under the bus (or the plane...) and forget he ever existed. That's the part that bothers me.

August 13, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

If the chain of events as reported on CNN has been accurate – with the woman being obnoxious from the get-go in Philadelphia, cursing Slater out at that point, and then giving him another chewing-out and refusing to close the overhead and sit down while the plane was still taxiing in at its destination, then heck, yeah, I'd cheer him on...in fact, as a passenger, I'd have probably tackled the hag first and put her butt back in her seat.

August 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Wow...sounds like a lot of JEALOUS flight crew members and pilots on the board today

August 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Traveler

I would presume that Mr. Slater being able to make it to the PA system, could just as easily called to pilot and as him to have local authorities meet them at the gate, rather than act out like a two year old...

Yes, it can be streeful dealing with a lot of passengers, but if you are unable to deal with that stress, you shouldn't work in that position.

We may never know the entire story, but his actions demand that he be terminated immediately...

August 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

Since pilots have virtually no contact with passengers save the 2 minutes they spend greeting them before they are locked in the cabin, this question is like comparing apples and oranges.

FTR though, I would think that was pretty funny too

August 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Well said. Sorry to say this people. But, in post 9/11 what Mr. Slater did is an act of terrorism. I think he should get the 7 years. Jet Blue attorneys, don't settle out of court. This would send a powerful message to the public that it is not safe to fly on your planes. What if Mr. Slater had decided to have his meltdown in the air? This would be a completely different and scarey story.

August 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Lori,

I couldn't agree with you more. As a former Int'l purser for a major, what he did was so unprofessional and than God no grounds crew were near the R1 slide, he could have killed them. This is what the public don't realize, how deadly this stunt could have turned, not too mention the thousands he cost the airline. We've all had pax like the one he insists hit him in the head with her bag. I too, as most of us have come home and written our resignation letters, but that's life. As trained professionals, what he did is not heroic, actually it's the cowards way out.

August 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • BunnyB

Well spoken. The guy lost his cool and should not be rewarded. I have always respected the crew of the flights I have been on and they are much wiser than what this guy. He was trained on how to treat the public, yes, even the unruly of the public.

August 16, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick Solorzano

New facebook fan page for STEVEN SLATER the Jet Blue flight attendant!

Search:

President Obama needs to give Steven Slater Presidential Pardon

August 13, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. Caleb Boone

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have just written this parody.

I hope you enjoy it.

Bang His Head!

Or

Jingle Beer

Or

Dashing Through The Door

An August Airline Carol

By Caleb Boone

(To be sung to the tune of "Jingle Bells.")

Dashing through the door,
    Steve Slater slid right down.
    He could take no more
    Of passengers like clowns.

A girl grabbed for her purse,
    Ignoring what he said,
    She leaned close, she whispered a curse,
    And banged him on the head!

Jingle Beer, Jingle Beer, he jumped out with no fear.
    He's surely right, she started the fight,
    That seems so very clear!
    Passengers on 'planes today have no manners at all,
    But they think they're Russian Royalty,
    In Moscow at a Ball!

Since Steve slid down the slide,
    His passengers have said,
    That he has surely lied,
    And no one hurt his head.
    But Steve is in the right,
    The girl was mean and junky,
    She taunted him to make him mad,
    And acted like a monkey!

Jet Blue Zoo, Jet Blue Zoo,
    Steve had just enough,
    Of comfort lizards, bright green hair,
    And grannies speaking rough.
    Most people who fly today should ride the bus instead.
    And Steve should take a nice long nap to rest his weary head.

Have a Dovely.

Sincerely yours,
    CALEB BOONE.

August 13, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. JDub

To the people who thinks this is funny or lauding Mr. Slater as a hero, he is not. With a double dip recession looming and a possibility of low to mid-teen unemployment in the fall, be reminded that all of us taxpayers will be funding his unemployment. He had the option to find another job, if he was fed up. He is lucky to even have a job in this current climate. He wants his job back? I do pray that JetBlue or any other airline refuses to hire this tool. I do not wish him a hard life, as second chances are warranted, but he should never be able to step foot on an airline again as an employee, the security risk is to high.

August 13, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. jb

lori,
    It is my understanding that the flight had ended. You should work in a public place where customers are so rudd. A lot of customers do just this kind of thing because they have learned if they complain that the employee upset them then they will get free flight, or if in a resturant a free meal and so on and so forth. These people delibertly do this stuff to employee so they can slid through life at someone else expense.

It companies would respect their employee a little more and stand up for them a little more they might be able to stop some ot this mess.

People who want to get some where will still fly. And those customers who do this kind of stuff will still keep on doing it as long as they can get away with it.

August 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Linda

I am so glad that I'm too afraid to fly. The first time I got on a plane everyone told me just to get drunk before I took off and everything would be find. Main rule no alcohol on plane ride. If they believe you to be under the influence breath test. Once in seat on flying plane only to get up for bathroom or if you ask permission. Anyone who breaks the rules grounded from all air flying for amount of time depending on infraction. Rather saying find another way. Their mistakes lost luggage, missed flights their fault,etc,etc. will be fairly compensated. Fairly is what it is FAIRLY. All law suits will be directed to the FCC. Which can only be appealed once by each party. All people will hopefully think differently about their journey. Hopefully for the better.

August 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. George

There are many examples of anger, frustration and pain among the people of the US...legitimate examples...Gulf of Mexico residents, out of work millions, gay couples, seniors clinging to promises, women desparate to get equitible pay, homeless men women and children...and our great military members and their familites...this yoyo is none of those!

August 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |