August 13th, 2010

Alaska crash victims died of blunt force trauma, official says

The deaths in the crash Monday night of a private plane  in Alaska were a result of blunt force trauma, Alaska State Medical Examiner Katherine Raven said Friday.

She also found the injuries were not survivable.  Brutal terrain and bad weather on the remote mountain where the plane crashed kept survivors waiting 12 hours for rescue, officials and witnesses said.

Former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and four other people died in the crash of the DeHavilland DHC-3T Otter.

Read the full story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Alaska
  1. sledgehammer

i think that the worst place in the world to have a plane crash and survive it has got to be alaska.
    it's a miracle given how far out in the wilderness these guys crashed that anybody survived.

August 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. lewax00

Does it really matter what the cause was? If it was related to being stuck in the weather were they going to sue or charge the rescuers for not getting there fast enough? It doesn't make them any less dead either way.

August 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • tanmanski

only if you want to find out what happeneed and see if future re-occurence can be prevented...

August 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. YourPantiesInnaWad

There are too many unknown factors at play here. Support the National Rifle Association. Joe Arpaio for President.

August 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

How much did the taxpayers pay to determine the obvious? You have to love the waste initiated to get people paid.

August 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • tanmanski

if you had read the above posts you would realize that the assumed COD, while expected based on our initial assumptions, could well have been wrong. It was a justifiable expense to ensure the facts were known and that the investigation gets started in the wrong direction. This is NOT an example of goverment abuse of tax revenue

August 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. VeeZee

Blunt Force Trauma? I found the name for my new band!

August 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. YourPantiesInnaWad

Like I said, Joe Arpaio for President.

August 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cranky62

I guess I will never board another flight unless I'm positive there is a U.S. Repug. Senator aboard. !!

August 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • EXACTLY...

but u wont be named in the crash...at least by CNN

August 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I guess I'll be attacked by an internet idiot

The level of profound stupidity in the comments I've read here is astounding. I'm not sure if the crass comments are sincerely stupid or if people are trying to be clever. I think we're doomed everytime I read comments after tragedies such as this. I can see that there were good reasons for editors in the old days of news print and no internet.

August 13, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • YourPantiesInnaWad

You have made some profound statements. You ARE an Internet Idiot.
      By the way, Joe Arpaio for President.

August 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kelkeagy

You think? This just in... cause of death after a plane smashes into a mountain is blunt force trama. How many Mensa candidates did it take to figure that one out....

August 13, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kate Smith

Wow, pretty interesting topic. How will I find this RSS?

Kate Smith