August 18th, 2010

Lawyer: Mom accused of killing tots will plead not guilty

A lawyer who says he's been hired to represent a South Carolina woman accused of killing her toddlers said she will plead not guilty to murder charges Wednesday.

Carl B. Grant said he has spoken with 29-year-old Shaquan Duley several times. She remains jailed without bond in Orangeburg County.

Grant refused to elaborate for CNN about the reason the mother will plead not guilty, and stressed that he hasn't had a chance to review all the evidence available.

Duley is "distraught, depressed, sad and solemn," he said.

On Tuesday Sheriff Larry Williams said Duley told investigators that she smothered her 1- and 2-year-old, placed their bodies in her car and let the car sink into the Edisto River.

1. Gail

sure is alot of HATE on the some of the postings above...dang! everyone is turning on one another. JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE

August 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SIP

This lady will suffer for the rest of her life. I cannot imagine her being able to live and enjoy life from here on out without thinking of how it would have been if she had not killed her little angels. I hope they rest in peace and maybe one day she finds that too.

August 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. crisis_angel

its always the men's fault lol, women can walk away too. In fact, if the father doesn't want anything to do with the kids, the mother is better off walking away. There are plenty of support groups for people that will accept it. I think she didn't want to accept the help.

August 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. erin

Aaw, poor mommy dearest, so sad and distraught.

August 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BrendaMW

The mother is black.

Quelle surprise!

August 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tammy

So sad that everyone loses at the end of the day. What is more sad is that this women and there are thousands out there, had no support, was ignorant, no education, no parenting skills and felt she had no way out. There are many more women who abuse their children on a daily basis and it never comes to light because it isn't as shocking. Instead of beating her up, she will do this to herself for the rest of her life, try to help someone you know so that they are not the next headliner on CNN's website!

August 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kat

There is no excuse good enough for this woman. She should never have given birth and once she did, she should have given the baby up for adoption. Give me a break!

August 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Actually, ANGELGRL0829

you said "DO YOU OWN A DICTIONARY?
    LOOK UP THE *****WORLD***** AND SEE WHO THE CLOWN IS! YOU" – I think that makes you a clown as well.

August 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RB

Where was the father in all of this? I believe this woman was desperate and depressed because of her economic situation and because she was raising those young boys alone without the support of their father and constant verbal abuse from her own mother.

Her decision was tragic and unconscionable on so many levels, but when people are stressed, exhausted, depressed, and demoralized enough they are capable of acting without thinking. I pray for all of their souls and I hope that more single mothers reach out and get the help they need for stress and depression so situations like this don't happen again. I also hope that more men step up and take care of their kids so the women aren't left trying to make it on their own.

August 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RML

She's "distraught"? Not sure why. She smothered two of her kids, and will now not have to worry about paying for food, medical and dental care, or a roof over her head – supposedly the things she thought were more important than her kids.

August 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KS

I am glad she is pleading not guilty. That will give the jury the chance to give her the death penalty. Being a single mom with financial problems is no excuse for what she did. I was a single mom with 2 kids for years. Raised them on $5.25 an hour no food stamps or government help. I was stressed and depressed, but never did it cross my mind that getting rid of them was even an option. Instead of crying about how hard life was even though I made the choices, I worked my butt off. I have now owned my own business for 8 years and make very good money. So single parents STOP COMPLAINING.

August 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotAfraid

Did you have help from family? An education? A stroke of good luck? A dad in the picture somewhere? And it's pretty hard to belive you could raise two kids on 5.25. Did you live in a tent? Did your kids eat dirt? You couldnt have possibly ever taken them to the doctor or dentist on 5.25.

I'll say again, of course I do not agree with how this woman chose to cope with her situation but THEY are not YOU.

August 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NotAfraid

@NKDA-

Abortion is not an option to MANY people. Yes, there is adoption, but many families will pressure a young person to keep the child.

While WIC is offered for several years, food stamps, welfare and healthcare have limits. Clearly she could not get housing or she wouldn't live w her abusive mother. OR she needed HELP from her mother (because daddy be at da club) so living on her own with three was not an option.

And Im willing to bet the father is and was VERY aware of these children exsisting. Small towns-not much gets by. And her's a newsfalsh for ya-if men don't want children "they don't know exsist" then put a damn condom on. Pretty simple.

As for her her pride. most mothers are not killers and is linked to abuse towards them and extreme distress in their lives (which she clearly had) aside from women with detachment disorders, most mothers are very proud of their children from birth, regardless of whether or not they know they can give them the best of everything. I am sure that the mother will suffer greatly for the rest of her life.

Obviously, you are not a parent and that;s a good thing.

August 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sinner

We can blame this on anything that we want. We can call color, financial woes and stress as culprets. We can assume and argue all that we want.

Put down your ideas and pick up your ideals.

Sin is sin – whether it is killing your child by your own hand or casting judgement on another being. This woman will go through the judicial system and complete whatever sentence the court sees fit but only in face of God will she truely be judged.

August 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |