August 19th, 2010

Caller confused, hurt by Dr. Laura's words

Nita Hanson told CNN she called Dr. Laura Schlessinger for help and never expected to hear the N-word uttered 11 times.

Schlessinger said earlier this week she would not continue her radio show after her contract runs out this year because she wants her First Amendment rights back. But Hanson, whose five-minute phone call about her white husband's friends and relatives making racist remarks led to the comments, said Schlessinger, 63, is old enough to know better.

Schlessinger has apologized and attempted to justify her comments by saying the word is commonly used on HBO and by black comedians.

"I think she apologized because she got caught," Hanson told CNN. "At this point, there's nothing she can do for me."

READ THE FULL STORY

1. Carole

I am really stunned. I think what was most offensive was invalidation of the caller's concerns. She called in basically saying she is uncomfortable being singled out and made to feel different – and DL made it all about the caller. Instead of helping her resolve the problem, she said that she had a huge chip on her shoulder and is too sensitive. In the home I was raised in we weren't allowed to say things that would make someone else uncomfortable and definitely not swear words. Anything that perpetuates isolation of individuals is not good. Remember how the Holocaust started prior to invasions – it was about identifying and isolating people – and most people going along with it. I get scared by talk that focused on putting people in groups, prejudging what it means to be a member of that group, and that all those in that group are equal. Just my opinion.

August 19, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. deschl

Also what I found disturbing about Dr. Laura's rant was in her telling the caller that she shouldn't have married outside her race, and the blanket statement that blacks voted for Barack Obama because he was half black so what I would pose ...to her is did whites vote for him because he was half white, the majority of blacks are democrats thats why he got our vote as did clinton and most other democrat nominees in the past, because if what she is saying true then why didn't jesse jackson or al sharpton get our vote when they were running. And I was waiting for ol Sarah to jump into the fray and this is surprising because of what, didn't her dad say she left school in Hawaii because she was uncomfortable around the different races, and she wants to be president of a country that is virtually a melting pot, smdh. With the help of fox news and Rupert Murdoch this woman is destroying our great country causing a racial divide that hasn't been seen since the 50's and that is sad, now there burning books a "christian church" in florida will be burning the quaran, run the mexicans out what the hell is going on. And some say well comedians say it, well I think I'll take my black self over to jersey and say what's up you effin moolie then ask them as their kicking my azz ain't that what you call each other.·

August 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kh

Dr. Laura is always condescending and rude. That is what she does. She may have had a valid point, but she ruined it by treating the caller like a moronic child and not even letting her speak and acting self righteous. She judges and has no real right to judge. She is no more perfect than anyone else. You can't get advice from her that you probably couldn't get from your Mom most of the time.

August 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. adriana

Dr. Laura's comments were insensitive and ignorant. Her "apology" is definitely a load of garbage. She still has not acknowledged that the N-word is a loaded word, that it has a weighted history, and that especially for someone who is Black, the word's use will offend. The word is not to be taken lightly by ANY person of any race. There is a strong movement to stop using the word, even by "black comedians on HBO." Today Dr. Laura is bashing the leftist media, and reclaiming her first amendment rights to use the word. She hasn't learned anything.

August 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carole

Very well said!

August 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John West

I can't say that I'm empathetic with the caller. After all, why would you call a total stranger for personal advice? Schlessinger has quite a few issues going. Have you listened to her serpentine cross examinations? Absolutely no compassion! Take a listen. Two questions about Laura. Is that nose of her shaped with a little help from the surgeon? And her hair. Is that natural blonde? And take a look at her Wiki. That she went through some personal traumas of her own as the product of an interfaith Jewish/nonJewish parents. At any rate she got quite a podium to purge herself of her own issues under the guise of "first amendment rights." As for the caller, serves her right. Who would want advice for this mixed up creature!!!

August 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RL

Why is it a stereotype if it's between two people of the same race, but racist if it is said between two people of different races? I think there are two many people out there crying racism when it's really just stereotyping which EVERYONE deals with. The black race needs to just quit focusing what everyone thinks of them. I do not believe they are a minority. We live in a very nice neighborhood that's probably half black and the 3 biggest homes in here are owned by black people. I'm not seeing how black people do not have all the opportunities that the other races do.

I personally did not grow up around black people, only had 2 in my school. There are things I never knew about them until I moved to the South and married a man from Georgia who has been around many many black people (3 were in our wedding) his whole life. For example, I never knew they need different skin products and shampoo than a white person. As far as the "N" word goes. When my husband was in the Navy he actually had to sit down all of the black people on his watch and threaten write ups for using the "N" word. The way my husband saw it was if the white guys couldn't say it then the black guys were no longer allowed to use it either. It was being tossed around constantly amongst the black men, so yes I agree with the radio show host that it is confusing.

I wish people would quit saying that the only difference in races is skin color, because it's not true. There's a reason black people don't go to the same hair salon I do, there's a reason why some diseases and health problems are more common in different races and our ancestors is where we evolved from and they were not here in America. WE ARE DIFFERENT. Just as whites are different from the Chinese, the Mexicans, the Africans, the Native Americans. Racism will never go away and neither will stereotypes and we will never have world peace. We are all too different to all agree or like eachother period. Why can't people just accept that and quit being so damn sensitive?

August 20, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Zaitchik sucks Becks weinerschnitzel

You nailed it on the head... "Racism will never go away" and "We are all too different to all agree or like each other period."

Thank you for saying this because people dance around this honest view. We all think it, and anyone of any race who says they don't is either lying or fooling themselves. Come back to this page in 100 yrs and see if anything has changed. The answer will be nothing except more honest feedback, albeit slow.

August 20, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Fajita

RL, your post is so true. The blacks just play the race card as an excuse for all their bad behaviors. They have to blame it on someone besides themselves. The Jews have been enslaved and massacred in Germany, but you don't see them playing the race card.

August 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tena

The "good" Doctor should not be allowed to resign on her own, she should be fired immediately! The decision to apologize, and remove herself from talk radio is one that she know will surely come; therefore, she's trying to self discipline...nice try. Not only do you have deep seeded issues with people of color "Doctor", but you're simply outdated, and wrinkled out. Enough of your volcanous erupted spew!

August 20, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Boney

I just absolutely love Dr. Laura!

August 20, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BarackOut

CNN's coverage of this story has been ludicrously one-sided. I am an African-American and no fan of Dr. Laura's, but I found the way in which story was covered completely condescending. Especially John Roberts with his sniveling interview of the Dr. Laura caller after his totally "I'm more superior than you" interview with Dr. Laura herself. No wonder CNN's ratings are in the toilet...you could write the interviews before they even happen. So disgusting!

August 20, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. nazcalito

Nita Hanson's husband must be dying of shame by now.

August 20, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Finchy

?

August 21, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. MR. President

RL is an idiot for this comment below

FROM JUMP MS. RL BLACKS ARE AT DISADVANTAGE.. SLAVERY .. 400YEARS OF FREE LABOR ..JIM CROW.. UNEQUAL EDUCATION BROWN VS BOARD I MEAN I CAN GO ON AND ON

"I wish people would quit saying that the only difference in races is skin color, because it's not true. There's a reason black people don't go to the same hair salon I do, there's a reason why some diseases and health problems are more common in different races and our ancestors is where we evolved from and they were not here in America. WE ARE DIFFERENT. Just as whites are different from the Chinese, the Mexicans, the Africans, the Native Americans. Racism will never go away and neither will stereotypes and we will never have world peace. We are all too different to all agree or like eachother period. Why can't people just accept that and quit being so damn sensitive"

August 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ami

Well, Laura must have misunderstood the whole n word thing. Yes black people do say it to each other just to call themselves like bro. or something similar, and Laura took that as that means all people can say that. Which we all ( or most ) should know that's wrong. ~sigh~, some how I feel she's so stubborn but then not because of all the good things she's done.

May 19, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |