August 24th, 2010

With Miss Universe win, Miss Mexico becomes national icon

Miss Mexico Jimena Navarette was crowned Miss Universe Monday to the delight of her entire nation.

Jimena Navarette, Miss Mexico, was crowned the winner at the Miss Universe pageant Monday night - an achievement the 22-year-old, the president of the country and her fellow country members hoped would boost the image of Mexico.

"I want the whole world to know about my country and my people," Navarette, who is from Guadalajara, Mexico said after winning the crown in Las Vegas to wide applause from a delegation there to support her.

Support and cheers from Mexicans flooded the internet quickly - with President Felipe Calderon being among the first to congratulate Navarette via Twitter on her "deserved victory," saying that it would help the country's image.

"Her triumph is a source of pride and satisfaction for all Mexicans, who see in her the fruits of perseverance," Calderon also said in a statement.

With the win, Navarette became the second Miss Mexico to capture the crown. Lupita Jones won the title in 1991.

"We won, long live Mexico!" Navarrete said on her Facebook fan page, which has grown into a page of tributes and cheers to Navarette and her country.

Navratte's Facebook page | Twitter page (in Spanish)

"Congratulations Jimena, you are a source of pride for all Mexicans," said one fan, echoing the sentiments of many.

"Many thanks for having represented this beautiful country full of culture and beautiful women," another said.

During the infamous question-and-answer round, that has done in many contestants or launched them into viral video infamy, Navarrete was questioned by Olympic gold medal figure skater Evan Lysacek about her thoughts on unsupervised internet usage.

"I do believe that Internet is an indispensable, necessary tool for the present time," she said through an interpreter. "We must be sure to teach them the values that we learned as a family."

Earlier in the night, co-host Brett Michaels, who yes, was donning his signature bandanna, and looking well after surviving a brain hemorrhage, referred to the dreaded round with his own famous words: "Every rose has a thorn."

Navarette escaped unscathed, while another fan favorite Miss Philippines, may have lost her chance at the crown because of her non-answer.

William Baldwin asked Venus Raj about the biggest mistake in her life and how she fixed it.

"In my 22 years of existence there is nothing major major problem I've done because I'm confident in myself and my family. Thank you for being here.... ...Thank you , Thank you very much," Raj answered.

Her answer was perhaps the only major stumble in this year's competition. Raj ended up as fourth runner-up.

Miss Jamaica Yendi Phillipps came in first runner-up and Miss Australia Jesinta Campbell was the second runner-up.

1. liz

Go look at what races have the most population mexicans aren't even up there ..you just see salvadoreans guatemalens and other spanish speaking people and just assume we are all mexicans so that means there are a lot of us i harldy kno any other mexican people and i live in southern california mostly all the hispanic people i kno are from el salvador guatemala peru and colombia ..Mexicans do contribute to this country just you ignorant people only single out the few bad ones that EVERY race has my family has never been helped with money by the government in any way no one in my family is illegal my parents own their own house have good credit and live a very nice life some white people can't even say that and none of us have gone to jail or got pregnant before 22 so f*** all the stereotypes

February 13, 2011 at 4:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. goldpreis aktuell

An attention-grabbing dialogue is price comment. I believe that you must write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject however generally people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

September 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. opeth31

jealous are we?

August 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. MxNewYorker

if you can't afford a taco then you have bigger problems and shouldn't waste time on cnn. :)

August 24, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Gil

wish ignorance would get wiped off the face of the earth...but then what would you do?

August 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Karina From Mexico

What Tacos have to do with this ???????? Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseee explain !!!!!

August 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Brandon

Tacos come from Mexico Katrina. You should know that.

August 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Reality

Is it ignorant to associate tacos with Mexico? If so why do all the taquerias in my neighborhood have Mexican flag colors on their signs? Tell you what Brandon, get your politically correct butt down to my hood and tell them what's up.

August 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Brandon

There is nothing PC about what I said, tacos just come from Mexico Homie.

August 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Brandon

And Reality, your comment just completely reinforced my comment. Not sure why I would have to tell all the people at the taquerias that tacos come from Mexico, I am pretty sure they already know that. This isn't that hard people.

August 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bigb19

M. Bison,

how original and funny.

If Miss Germany won, should Apple Streudel go on sale to celebrate and "goosestep" while drinking beer?
    How about Miss Ireland, if she won? Should we celebrate with some corned beef and cabbage and read poetry, while listening to U2?
    If Miss Norway won, should we eat a little pickled herring that's on sale?

Not funny, M. Bison. But, I will tell you what is – you're blatant bigotry.

August 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Brandon

Hey bigb19 is on the right track, but I bet no one would call it bigotry if we said if Ms America won then it was free cheese burgers and apple pie for everyone now would you? Double standard anyone?

August 24, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Brandon

Not sure how national dishes fall into bigotry, please explain.

August 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Wheres the Beef.

Just wondering. Can Miss Montana be crowned Miss Mexico? I want to see her greencard first.

August 24, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. bigb19

Hey Brandon,

are cheeseburgers and apple pie America's national "dishes"?

What about hot dogs and apple pie?

Brandon, if you wanna "pretend" M. Bison's comment was inappropriate, that's fine. But, PLEASE do not pull the REVERSE DISCRIMINATION bit. It's been beaten to death.

Miss Mexico MIGHT like tacos, and then again, she might not. She might dig sushi. M. Bison made an assumption.

In my comments, I threw in a few other things besides food, Brandon. Read it carefully. Just because a person's from a certain country doesn't mean that that person represents a STEREOTYPE.

Brandon, IF, and I write, IF you're white are you supposed to like, MEAT LOAF, with MASHED POTATOES, live in the suburbs and DRIVE AN SUV?

Cut it out.