August 29th, 2010

Stories from Hurricane Katrina, five years later

5 Years Later: Hearing the people, seeing the places hit by Hurricane Katrina

Less than a month before Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, Cynthia Morrison decided to buy a house in the city. Five months after the storm, she returned and began to rebuild, as did so many who have given all to the city they love.

"I felt like New Orleans was a person that I had just let go, somebody that I loved, and I felt like I had to come back," Morrison said. "I really felt like I didn't have a choice. I couldn't see myself happy anywhere else." READ MORRISON'S ENTIRE STORY

On Sunday, the five-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall, President Obama will travel to New Orleans to give a speech at Xavier University. READ FULL STORY ABOUT OBAMA'S TRIP

The president is likely to be shown how the city and areas ravaged by the storm have been given loving care over the years, and spots that remain unchanged. CNN's iReporters pitched in to create a visually stunning portrait of what hurricane damaged streets and homes looked like then and now. Ray Nagin, the controversial mayor of New Orleans when Katrina hit, also looks back, remarking to CNN "I have given my pound of flesh."

Many more stories to come today. Go to CNN.com for continuing coverage of the anniversary.

Post by:
Filed under: Hurricane Katrina • Louisiana
  1. Kendra

Where are the stories from Mississippi? The place that was actually hit harder than NO? And the place that had more people helping themselves? Possibly CNN would rather focus on the stories that try to make the government look bad eh?

August 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tricia

Hurricane Katrina just brushed New Orleans...it "hit" Mississippi. Why are all the stories about New Orleans? It you wanted to cover a story today, the day of Katrina's "landfall", why are you not in Mississippi? Then cover New Orleans the actual day the levies broke.

August 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiare

Exactly! Katrina devastated the Mississippi area but the flooding of the city of New Orleans was a levee failure.

August 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mike

This is the same treatment Mississippi got all the way along. I saw one nice Biloxi story on Fox about two days ago, otherwise, it is like we don't exist!

August 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. OEnlitenMe2

How many times do we have to explain? Katrina didn't swamp NOLA! Shoddy levees did! Blame the Army Corps of Engineers for the federal flood. Had the levees been properly built, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

August 29, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mike

Give me a break, the Obama's are only in New Orleans because of the season,"primary season" that is. Anything to take peoples minds off being poor,jobless,homeless,and un-insured.

August 30, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Walter

First of all questioning why the media chooses to discuss NOLA and not Mississippi is a legitimate question. However, there was devastation in New Orleans. The media should cover Mississippi. The one thing that gets to me is the folks like Kendra who say that Mississippi had more people helping themselves. If you want to take that view of it Kendra maybe that's the reason the medial doesn't cover MS. The people had the ability to still help themselves! In NOLA the water was up to rooftops in most places. 80% of the city was under water you dolt!
      As far as Obama is concerned, I do agree with Mike which is why I responded to his comment. Obama is using the Katrina disaster as another talking point. Just like he used it to gin up the African American vote when talking about Bush's handling of it. He doesn't give 2 cents about New Orleans. He's been in office for 18 months and hasn't done a thing about that city. He hasn't spent any considerable amount of time there either. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that he should do any extra for the city, but when you make it part of your stump speeches and you campaign on that issue saying what a bad job your predecessor did, then ACT on it. Stop going there for the anniversaries and photo ops. YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING MR. PRESIDENT WHEN IT COMES TO MY HOMETOWN. STOP USING US!!!!!

August 31, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Hewes

Katrina DID hit Louisiana first. The eye crossed over Buras/Empire (South Plaquemines Parish).
    Proportionally-speaking, the damage was far worse than in coastal Mississippi.

September 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack Place

It looked like Ray Nagin, but he tap danced like Bo Jangles Robinson!?!

June 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |