August 30th, 2010

What the trapped Chilean miners have in their shelter

Rescue officials are giving more than just food and water to the miners who have been trapped in Chile’s San Jose mine for more than three weeks.

Through three bore holes that are about 4 inches in diameter, officials are sending down items to help them be more comfortable and be as physically and mentally fit as possible.

The miners, trapped in a cavernous shelter more than 2,300 feet below the surface, have phone communication with rescuers between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. daily, and also opportunities for sporadic, brief phone communication with family members.

Here are some of the items that rescue workers have sent through the tubes to the miners.

– Liquid proteins and vitamins

– Water, at least five liters each per day

– Vaccinations, to fight tetanus, influenza and respiratory infections

– Antiseptic cream for eye irritation and fungal skin infections

– High-tech T-shirts and shorts, designed to wick away sweat

– Lightweight rubber boots

– LED flashlights

– Movie projector the size of a cellphone that projects a 21-inch image

– Video recordings of games from the Chilean soccer championship

– Selection of movies

– Domino set

– Pack of cards

– Military-style camp beds

– MP3 music players

– Speakers for MP3 players

– Soap, shampoo, shower caps, shavers, toothbrush and toothpaste

– Towels, each one marked with a miner's name

– Letters from relatives on an almost daily basis

– Starting this week: sandwiches, hummus and a hot meal

Post by:
Filed under: Chile
  1. Brian

I want to donate some items to the chilean miners. Where can I do this?

August 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kim

These people, the miners and their families, are in my prayers.

August 30, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tewrobert

Hey I want to go down and stay with the miners, They are living better than I am :)
    Hurry up and get them Men out..
    Someplace along the line the mines are going to have to spend some money to fix it where the miners can get out of any place and quickly too,
    Thes emines make the big bucks so they can spend some.....
    I hope these men make enough they dont have to go back down.......EVER

August 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. K2

I think they'd just love some camping hammocks, particularly because of the heat and humidity. Additionally, they could serve as a kind of chair. I've sure there are plenty of areas these could be hooked up.

I hope they get out sooner than expected and safely.

August 30, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jasmine

Why are they sending the miners all this food? Where are they going to use the bathroom?

September 1, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Loreto

Thanks to all those in the world who cared for these 33 human beings. I'm Chilean and I'm proud of it. Now other miners know that it is possible.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |