September 4th, 2010

Man missing for 3 months found safe

A Kansas man missing for more than three months has turned up alive and unharmed, CNN affiliate KMBC reports.

Luke Stevens, 23, of Tonganoxie, Kansas, disappeared May 26 from the home of his father, Dan Stevens, according to the Kansas City Star newspaper's website.

The father's 1983 pickup was found 50 miles from home not long after Stevens vanished, but there was no sign of Stevens, KMBC reported. Sheriff's deputies, volunteers, dogs and divers scoured fields, woods, lakes and streams multiple times to no avail, according to the Star.

Then late Thursday night, the phone rang at Dan Stevens' residence. It was his son calling from Kansas City, Missouri, to request a ride home, just like that, both outlets reported.

Stevens, who is 6-foot-5 and weighed 250 pounds when last seen, had lost a lot of weight and seemed disoriented, said his mother, Joyce Stevens, according to KMBC.

According to the Star's extensive story on the mystery, around 3 a.m. Friday, Dan Stevens issued a concise e-mail to family and friends:

"Luke is home and safe! Was living in the woods near Longview Lake. Thanks for all the support. Dan."

Post by:
Filed under: Kansas • U.S.
  1. Pat

This doesn't make ANY sense! The man disappears for 3 months, no explanation or anything? Just calls up dad to pick him up? I think I'd investigate a little farther. Don't get me wrong, I'm HAPPY the guy is alive! But with all the cell phone access now days, he could have called home before 3 months! Or, IF he had planned to be gone for that length of time, he should have told his family! Shame on him!

September 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • DN3

Very glad this man was found safe and sound. It definitely sounds like there are some mental issues here like what Cindy was saying about the fugue. I hope the family looks into it.

September 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • woeisme

.....the article stated that he seemed a little disoriented...i take that as him being out of sorts...so the shoulda, coulda, woulda jive doesn't say a whole lot....

September 5, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Actually this makes a lot of sense. It's a VERY common happening with people who suddenly become mentally ill and have not yet been diagnosed.

September 5, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Raevyn

Such outrage towards a stranger. Do you feel better now that you've suitably chastised him? I just hope his family is able to get him the help he needs and that he doesn't run afoul of other Outraged Citizens.....Shame on YOU.

September 5, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • magnoliatreephotography

It's called mental illness. You know what they call people that "shame" people they don't even know? It starts with "jack" and ends with "another term for donkey".

September 5, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • cricket

sounds like he is suffering from some type of mental illness, a breakdown, etc?

September 5, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • lARRY

And what's the crime you want investigated sir? Is there evidence of him being kidnapped?

September 5, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Its amazing to me that a presumably full-grown adult with "life experience" could read this story and automatically assume the young man just went out on a joy cruise for his own selfish pleasure. The fact that he disappeared without a word to anyone and was living in the woods should be a red flag for any thinking person that there is something wrong here, most likely mental illness. Please, get in touch with your compassion, and consult with it before automatically lashing out.

September 5, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Tewrobert

Oh I dont know, If things start gettin to you then going out an camping out for a while sounds good to me,
      Sometimes we just have to let go of things, cant we be happy he is at home and safe? its not like he left a wife and kids to fend for themselves..
      Its probably crap like you people post on here is what drove him away, Some of you are terrible, Your probably the freaks that go shopping at wally world after normal peopel go to bed 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • AwesomeBob

Going to have one heck of a time coming back from that socially. "What did you do this summer?" "Ran away and lived in the bushes, you?"

September 5, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

You think you would investigate a bit further eh? Pat, you are a genius!

September 5, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Happens all the time, Pulled over to take a pee, falls hits his head, starts wandering, doesnt know where he is, confused, its called TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY and it happens all the time, most end up in a shelter as mentally disabled.

September 5, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Haven't we all just wanted to "disappear" once in our lives? I know I do.

September 5, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Chad N

Investigate what exactly? Investigate why exactly? If you or I choose to simply drop off the face of the earth, live in the woods and not call home for three months, thats our choice. I am sure his dissapearance left the family with alot of discomfort, but there is nothing to investigate. THere is no law that says a person must inform anyone of thier intentions to leae a particular place for another, no law that says we must seek permission or must tell our families if we choose to do this.

September 5, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I don't think it is supposed to make sense. Humans do irrational things, sometimes for reasons that remain their own. I am sure you can recall the story of Chris McCandless. His story was featured in a novel by Jon Krakauer and in a movie by Mark Whalberg

September 5, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • J Crane

My guess is there is more and the family is very aware.

September 5, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

The guy probably went hunting, didn't have a cell phone, got wound up deep in the woods and had no idea what direction he was walking... took him 3 months to get out of the mouse trap he was in...

September 5, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • zoyter2

Wonder which it was. Crack or meth? Jez, mentally ill. For ever "mentally ill" person who disappears in this manner, there are 100 that take a long binge on drugs.

September 5, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • matthew stevens

This fellow is my nephew, we are very glad he is home but clearly he has some issues. His departure was not a cry for help or a jolly jaunt he just had some things to deal with. He is no hero in the family but his return is welcome and his prospects are brighter now than the day he left. 96 day in the woods, haven't we all been there?

September 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • cantweall

He was probably on a drug binge

September 5, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate

That's just it, LIFE, real life, doesn't always make sense! Quit expecting rational explanations from irrational people and situations! It's sorta like expecting responsible behavior from irresponsible people and thinking THEY are crazy when they don't behave the way you want them to behave. Stop and ask yourself who's really the crazy one! LOL.

September 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catherine

It is very apparent to a mother of two sons with a mental disoreder what happen here.

September 11, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brett

Sounds to me that the guy is either mentally ill, addicted to drugs, or both. Who else disappears for months at a time.

September 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selmers

Oh sure! Rule out aliens!

September 5, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jackie

Yep, these Baby-boomers kids are a different breed for sure. Live w/Mommy & Daddy after H.S. and continue to be spoiled. If you continue to enable them, they will continue to stay under your roof and lay around the house.

September 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cat

What does this have to do with the story? He sounds mentally ill, which is different from spoiled, and in reality, you can go missing as an adult if you want to.

September 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Interesting perspective. My husband and I are both children of baby boomers and neither we nor any of our friends of the same generation have lived with our parents since high school. In fact, many of us are now helping support our parents. Anecdotal evidence certainly, but no worse than a sweeping generalization.

Perhaps this young man has a legitimate mental disorder and needs care and compassion. I hope he gets what he needs.

September 5, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

No different than anyone else except his story is on CNN. People have been walking off into the abyss for years. Don't judge the man until you have walked in his shoes.

September 5, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

There is no generation more spoiled than the Baby Boomers. Thanks to their terrible stewardship of the country as adults their children now have to compete for jobs with half the world. It's no wonder they have to live with "mommy and daddy" when they can't find work after highschool or even college. Mommy and daddy had lots of opportunity but have since squandered it for their kids. People like Jackie need to make amends before they hurl insults.

September 5, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Humanbeing

excuse me? if his age is 23, he is def not a boomer, and doesn't have anything to do with that anyway.....in fact, there are more questions, than answers in this particular instance. So, really how can anyone make comments about something, when there isn't sufficient information?.....it's really a sad, sad thing, how ppl have become so bitter, and mean, and disrespectful, when they can hide behind their computer/cars/etc....we teach each other, how to treat ourselves, and the sooner ppl wake up and realize it, the better our world will be! treat others, as you would be treated

September 5, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Bayarea

Ummm... 23 years old, born in 1987, is not a baby boomer..........

September 5, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura

The original post referenced *children* of baby boomers being spoiled. The respondent says that the boomers themselves are the spoiled ones.

My bit would be that the world is profoundly different than it was 30, 40, 50+ years ago. You used to graduate high school and join the work force. Now you graduate high school and start applying to colleges. Then you graduate college and start looking into graduate programs. You end up with a generation in their mid-twenties with no real life experience and crippling debt from all that "job prep" they've been doing and still no way to support themselves. Of course they end up with mommy and daddy again.

September 5, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

I am the child of a baby-boomer. I was born in 1983 and have lived with my mom since college. I am also an airline pilot. I earned less than $15k last year. Sorry that you think I am lazy because of my parents but maybe you should realize that the baby-boomer generation allowed this country to slip into financial ruin and the baby-boomers' children are now the ones paying the price for that. If you think for one second that I want to live with my mom, you're nuts. I am a well respected professional, just not paid like one. Get over yourself.

September 5, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • ROADY

As the guy above neither one of you know your "A" from a hole in the ground

September 5, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • AGeek

At 23, you would need to know the age of his parents to declare him the child of a Baby Boomer. Boomers are generally considered to be born between 1946 and 1964. While likely to be a child of a Boomer, it's not implicit. Also, your premise is completely daft and lacks any supporting evidence.

September 5, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Joy

Baby boomers are not 23 yrs old. They are now retirees.

September 5, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony Heredia

Jackie, where is it written that kids who "grow up" have to move away? I just moved home last summer after graduating college 5 years ago. I am 28, I have a full-time salaried job, and my parents and I are perfectly fine with the arrangement till I am financially ready to get my own place. In many cultures, families are actually encouraged to come back home. Think of how much nicer a place would be if you were welcomed back, not left to fend for yourself right away.

September 5, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. john k

thank god hes ok being a parent myselfI cant imagine the worry those people went thru looks like a happy ending to me

September 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Billl

Maybe he just had to get away. Chill for a bit.

September 4, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariela

Yep... I think so too. Better to try and chill out and not getting a gun and start killing everyone just because.

September 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sunshine

Maybe he had an itch to just "go". Kind of like that kid from "Into the Wild".

September 4, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

And what happened to him? I do not think that a child, person, loved one should do this. I do think that some sort of illness would be the only explaination for anyone to cause such pain. Glad that his family are at peace and hope them all well! By the way, if not illness, I hope they talk it out!

September 5, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. c carl

Who does this??? And why???

September 4, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Inquiring Mind

Well what the hell happened to him for 3 months? I won't be satisfied until I know the story.

September 4, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • realworld

Don't just sit there. Find the family's phone # and call them.

September 4, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • afry

I'm not quite sure his family even cares if you're satisfied. Whether he went missing because of drugs, mental illness, choice...it's not really any of your business. This is family business and right at this particular moment I'm sure his family feels there is plenty of time for questions...right now is a time for unconditional love and support.

September 5, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Major Wood

Hang in there – I'm sure your subscription to the 'National Enquirer' is in the mail!

September 5, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeez kid!

Jeez! Been gone for 3 months? Weird. Must've been abducted by aliens.. lol

September 4, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Seymour

@Jackie – You must be a really different breed to come up with such a far fetched idea.

September 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CIndy

there's a mental disorder called a dissociative fugue- it's kind of like amnesia and people suffering from it often randomly show up in other cities several months later. It's rare, but it does happen. Maybe that's the case here.

September 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

CIndy, interesting thought about dissociative fugue. And what a strange phenomenon!

September 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Papasan

Aliens abducted him and ate his brain, then released him to go back home...

September 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

om nom nom

September 5, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Carole

Hey Jackie–This guy is not a baby boomer. He is an x or a y or maybe even a z. Definitely me generation. Now I AM a baby boomer–one of the first born in 1946. Baby boomers were born when the 'guys' camehome from WWII. Don't comment if you can't verify your facts.

September 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ethan

I belive Jackie said these baby boomer's kids, as in the children of baby boomers. Maybe you should learn to read before you tear someone down.

September 4, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • AGeek

Ethan: don't be a moron. Yes, OP got the detail wrong, however there's insufficient information to tell how old his parents are and the conclusion drawn by jackie is lacking any credible evidence.

September 5, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Del Shannon

You all are crazy. Who gives a rat's ass if he is the child of a boomer or not. It has absolutely zero to do with this young man's predicament.

September 5, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. Who Cares?

What a waste of time.....maybe we should all do this .... get away and loose a lot of weight....how many of us could use that!!!

September 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Larry Watson

This person had some kind of a breakdown or mental Illness. I'm glad he's home and I hope he can be helped.

September 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |