September 4th, 2010

Man missing for 3 months found safe

A Kansas man missing for more than three months has turned up alive and unharmed, CNN affiliate KMBC reports.

Luke Stevens, 23, of Tonganoxie, Kansas, disappeared May 26 from the home of his father, Dan Stevens, according to the Kansas City Star newspaper's website.

The father's 1983 pickup was found 50 miles from home not long after Stevens vanished, but there was no sign of Stevens, KMBC reported. Sheriff's deputies, volunteers, dogs and divers scoured fields, woods, lakes and streams multiple times to no avail, according to the Star.

Then late Thursday night, the phone rang at Dan Stevens' residence. It was his son calling from Kansas City, Missouri, to request a ride home, just like that, both outlets reported.

Stevens, who is 6-foot-5 and weighed 250 pounds when last seen, had lost a lot of weight and seemed disoriented, said his mother, Joyce Stevens, according to KMBC.

According to the Star's extensive story on the mystery, around 3 a.m. Friday, Dan Stevens issued a concise e-mail to family and friends:

"Luke is home and safe! Was living in the woods near Longview Lake. Thanks for all the support. Dan."

Post by:
Filed under: Kansas • U.S.
  1. HELP

Hey guys, will you visit SaveStan. ORG a man with 4 young babies is fighting for his life....thanks

September 5, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dee

Hard to believe that I left out Jack London, and The Call of the Wild. It's as true today as it was in his day.

September 5, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jason

I think to be sensitive, the part about the young man being mentally retarded was left out. Now the story makes sense.

September 5, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Me

How cruel can you be? Do you have any idea how simply stupid you sound? Anyone can go from a normal balanced person to mentally challenged for any reason at any time. Tomorrow you yourself could disappear from your normal life! You are lucky to be a healthy person, although ignorant.

September 5, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dianne C

PEOPLE ARE NOT PUT HERE TO JUDGE! SO WHY SO MUCH HATEN? ISNT ANYONE'S BUSINESS WHERE HE WAS NOR WHAT WAS WRONG ~ HE IS FREE AND OVER 21! ARE ALL YOU NEGATIVE PEOPLE SO PERFECT THAT YOU SHOULD TALK?

September 5, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • D. Carter

You're right he is over 21-and he should be kicked out of him parents home and be self supporting like a man!

September 5, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Michelle

Consider this: With such a high unemployment rate (14% in some areas) and a lack of available jobs, it makes sense that some children of baby boomers had to move home temporarily. As for the young man in this story, if he is truly mentally retarded, and depending on his level of retardation, then it makes perfect sense for him to live with his parents who are probably his primary caregivers. Just a thought.

September 5, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Yep. This isn't the same United States that baby boomers were lucky enough to have lived in. I know a lot of people under 30 who either have to stay with their parents or live with many roommates in order to get by. My grandfather had a $400 monthly salary as engineer for Philips Petroleum. That afforded a nice house on ten acres and my grandmother never had to work. Who in America now can live this way? Between myself and my girlfriend both working we can afford a modest house. But there will be no stay-at-home parent for our kids. So I've decided that when I'm financially able I will probably have to take care of my aging mother, and probably my girlfriend's parents as well. The American family is going to more and more resemble what is in Europe and what used to be here: many generations housed under the same roof.

The economics make it inevitable. Unless American companies start hiring Americans at reasonable pay (like they used to be patriotic enough to do) there can be no other option for today's youth BUT to stay home and help out the multiple breadwinners now required to survive.

September 5, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. JewHunter

we should check his butthole... if we find a probe then the answer is clear...

September 5, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jeepers

My money's on alien abduction.

September 5, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. jeff

Sounds to me like he just had anough and snapped! I feel sometimes like I want to just run away too!

September 5, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. cindy**

Wish this article had more detail but the important thing is he is safe, I agree he should of let someone know he would be gone atleast a note but its good that hes alive!

September 5, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Eric

He was obviously abducted by aliens.

September 5, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lowell Oliver

Lousy story CNN. Lacks facts of basics like who, what when where why and how? Get it together!!!!!.

September 5, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • lvanboven

Story is in the column "THIS JUST IN", be patient.

September 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. onix

I'm glad he is finally home safe with his family...3 months is a long time to be gone. Who knows what he was going through or why he did it. At least now he can get the help he needs and his family can rest easy..

September 5, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. PARROT

I BET HE IS FROM OHIO.....!!

September 5, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelly

What are you 12??

September 5, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. Davie

Sounds to me like it was a breakdown of some sort. Having a mental illness myself I both know from experiance and from the experiances shared by people i was in group with that mental illness that is untreated because it was undiagnosed can often finally manifest itself in a manner like this. There is a problem trying to get your attention but you cant see it so it finally does something desperate to bring itself to your attention. I hope that now that he is back home he can get whatever treatment he needs not only so that nothing like this ever happens again but so he can have a happy and productive life. And as for the people who think he should be shamed or admonished for this, i agree with what magnoliatreephotography said in reply to pat above, wholeheartedly!

September 5, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jim Brown

Looks like another UFO abduction. They need to perform a full body scan for implants – stat, and also check the anus for trauma.

September 5, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |