September 4th, 2010

Man missing for 3 months found safe

A Kansas man missing for more than three months has turned up alive and unharmed, CNN affiliate KMBC reports.

Luke Stevens, 23, of Tonganoxie, Kansas, disappeared May 26 from the home of his father, Dan Stevens, according to the Kansas City Star newspaper's website.

The father's 1983 pickup was found 50 miles from home not long after Stevens vanished, but there was no sign of Stevens, KMBC reported. Sheriff's deputies, volunteers, dogs and divers scoured fields, woods, lakes and streams multiple times to no avail, according to the Star.

Then late Thursday night, the phone rang at Dan Stevens' residence. It was his son calling from Kansas City, Missouri, to request a ride home, just like that, both outlets reported.

Stevens, who is 6-foot-5 and weighed 250 pounds when last seen, had lost a lot of weight and seemed disoriented, said his mother, Joyce Stevens, according to KMBC.

According to the Star's extensive story on the mystery, around 3 a.m. Friday, Dan Stevens issued a concise e-mail to family and friends:

"Luke is home and safe! Was living in the woods near Longview Lake. Thanks for all the support. Dan."

Post by:
Filed under: Kansas • U.S.
  1. BG

To all of you: happy that this young man is back home with his family, and hoping they get to the bottom of it. Lots to consider. As far as the "baby-boomers"? I really take offense to these comments. It wasn't my fault I was born in 1953, after WWII, after Korea, after the Great Depression, with no one who cared about me. Was it? I grew up knowing only war since as far as I can remember. Do I need to list them all? It wasn't my fault who my parents were, that my mother could only survive herself and her family abandoned because they disagreed with her on her choice for a husband or that her husband was a cheat who finally deserted me and our family when I was 9, leaving me to fend for myself, and I did. I did the best I could with what I had and NOBODY helped me with the exception of encouragement from a kindergarten teacher. Other than that, I survived out of sheer will. Back then, there was no free lunch or breakfast so I was basically homeless. At lunch? I had to go to the playground because they wouldn't let me stay in the cafeteria while the others were eating, and I couldn't eat because I had no money. I always went tosleep hungry. My only release was school and no, I couldn't afford college although I did graduate in the top 10% of my class. Nobody cared if I lived in an abandoned house with a dirt floor and washed in a stredm. The one kindness I got from that teacher is what made me even want to live. I taught my children to do right by others, by themselves, by family, to live according to what they know is the "right thing to do" and the fact is, everybody knows the right thing to do. The tough thing is doing it. Why say all this? Maybe someone didn't listen to this young man or give a rat's tail about him, or even encourage him. Maybe he had a head injury? Maybe he just had a meltdown and needed a break to decide what to do with his life. As long as he didn't commit crimes while he was "gone" I'd say let this young man alone with his family and hopefully they will pick up the ball and run with it, and actually help him get through the crisis. We all have them. Its not if you win or lose, but how you play so everybody complaining about baby boomers ruining the country? Get over the blame game, the selfishness and pettiness, and see if you can come together well enough to save this country and all our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren. History will tell how well all of us did, and that includes, you.

September 5, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • TF

good for you, yes we all need to take a long look at ourselves and start from there. this kid obviously had some thing going on with him. In time, if he wants to let out the rest of the story, he will. Then all of the noisy busy bodies can get there fix.

September 5, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • D. Carter

BG, good for you for surviving your childhood. My husband also, was a survivor of an abusive childhood and it has made him a strong, hardworking adult. But I do agree with alot of the posts in that baby boomers have spoiled their own kids-allowed things that their parents would never have allowed. Discipline and being held accountable for their own actions has totally disappeared. If this kid stole his dad's truck, ran away from home because he didn't like the "rules" shame on him. He need his butt kicked. Parents should not have to sit and worry for 3 months wether or not their child is dead or alive. If that were my kid I would hug them, tell them how much I love them and kick them out of my home.

September 5, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. butlerbulldawg74

sounds like that movie "Fire in the Sky".

September 5, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Eric

He was in love a long time, now been kicked out a bit disoriented
    wants to be at home again

September 5, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. cassandra

hey termlimit since you obviously dont know autism isnt that funny. i can only hope that you have not and can not breed. i would hate for that level of ignorance to be passed on. ppl like you are pathetic. lol you really are a moron

September 5, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Possible Alien Abduction Case

While it is wonderful that he showed up, Mbiukel, is exactly right imho. This case may very well be attributed to an alien abduction which should be taken very seriously as a no-nonsense type of thing. It is not a far-fetched possibility but an actual fact that aliens do exist in and out of this Earthly dimension as has been reported by so many authorities along with the pictures taken. We cannot presume and assume that we are the only ones here in this universe. The fact that he is well but disoriented is a red flag and consistent with other reports of such alien abductions unless another provable occurrence can be sustained.

It is inconceivable that a six foot five tall man of his stature and weight would simply be overpowered by someone and kept in confinement for three months and then released just like that, no questions asked.

The only way to know for sure in cases such as these is to have him submit to a hypnosis test where the actual matter can be brought forth and relived and an account can thus be given if he is unable to remember what happened which, again, is consistent with such abductions as has been previously reported.

September 5, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jonathan

This blaming game in these comments is the direct result of what the Republicans have been creating around the nation, nowadays we seek to blame everyone else for any mistake made, when it is not Illegal Aliens, it is Baby Boomers and so on and on.....

We are living in a blaming game roulette instead of a let's work to fix this together way of life.

September 5, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • phenomena

So Obama, not being a Republican, has been blaming no one but himself for his ratings and mistakes?

September 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nancy mattson

Glad he is home with family, but if he used a cell phone to call home, lived in the woods for 3 months with no electricity??? how did he recharge the cell phone. There are a whole lot of missing answers here. And, by the way, he is way too young to be a baby boomer. He would need to be in his 50s or later to be a baby boomer. Sounds like a mental health issue.

September 5, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. baby sing

sounds to me like the guy was under pressure, having family problems, work problems and just problems in general.....wait a minute...that's me! if i had the money, i'd disappear for a few months just so my family could step back and see why i did. getting ready to implode from the family drama, work drama, physical drama (probably caused from all the crap i have to deal with).....just tired and sounds like an excellent idea to me!

September 5, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. jerry

tami thank you foryour kind words and so do hope to find him one day thanks again it means a lot

September 5, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. beezus

this may come as a shock to some of you, but not everyones all for the facebook generation lets stay connected every second of the day life style. aside from mental illness, maybe the guy just wanted to be alone for a while, ever seen into the wild?

September 5, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. mmmmBop

The man was living in the woods. I'd say it's safe to assume there are mental issues. And that dude from Into the Wild had mental issues to

September 5, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Noble9

Gone for three months? Yeah, I've had parties like that.

September 5, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. cry out

We are seeing this happen in our world more and more each day people just get up and leave life has become to stressful for them to handle. But what ever the case maybe mental illness ,or drugs i hope the young man gets the help he needs. I am sure the family would like our prayers god bless

September 5, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jerry

cry out nice honest and mature message

September 5, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. missadr

The age of 23 is approximately the time when most people with paranoid Schizophrenia first show signs of the illness. One of the guys I dated in college first had symptoms just after graduation. Horrible. He thought everyone was trying to hurt him so he would disappear to some place where he thought he could hide. Eventually, he'd snap out of it and come back. He vanished for months. One time, he never came back. Haven't seen him in 15 years.

September 5, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. D. Carter

Ryan!!! What type of airline pilot are you??? If you make less than 15K a year there is a problem. Even crop dusters make more than that-maybe you should start using your college degree and do something with your life. I have two sons that graduated from college and both are out on their own, married and starting families. As far as Luke Stevens is concerned-Mom, have him drug tested, make him get a job at something, and ground his butt. If he wants to act like a teeny bopper than treat him like one.

September 5, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Actually it's well known that airline pilots are underpaid. See this, from Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger's testimony before Cognress: Sullenberger, a 58-year-old who joined a US Airways predecessor in 1980, told the House aviation subcommittee that his pay has been cut 40 percent in recent years and his pension has been terminated and replaced with a promise "worth pennies on the dollar" from the federally created Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. These cuts followed a wave of airline bankruptcies after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks compounded by the current recession, he said.

"The bankruptcies were used by some as a fishing expedition to get what they could not get in normal times," Sullenberger said of the airlines. He said the problems began with the deregulation of the industry in the 1970s.

The reduced compensation has placed "pilots and their families in an untenable financial situation," Sullenberger said. "I do not know a single professional airline pilot who wants his or her children to follow in their footsteps."

September 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |