September 4th, 2010

Man missing for 3 months found safe

A Kansas man missing for more than three months has turned up alive and unharmed, CNN affiliate KMBC reports.

Luke Stevens, 23, of Tonganoxie, Kansas, disappeared May 26 from the home of his father, Dan Stevens, according to the Kansas City Star newspaper's website.

The father's 1983 pickup was found 50 miles from home not long after Stevens vanished, but there was no sign of Stevens, KMBC reported. Sheriff's deputies, volunteers, dogs and divers scoured fields, woods, lakes and streams multiple times to no avail, according to the Star.

Then late Thursday night, the phone rang at Dan Stevens' residence. It was his son calling from Kansas City, Missouri, to request a ride home, just like that, both outlets reported.

Stevens, who is 6-foot-5 and weighed 250 pounds when last seen, had lost a lot of weight and seemed disoriented, said his mother, Joyce Stevens, according to KMBC.

According to the Star's extensive story on the mystery, around 3 a.m. Friday, Dan Stevens issued a concise e-mail to family and friends:

"Luke is home and safe! Was living in the woods near Longview Lake. Thanks for all the support. Dan."

Post by:
Filed under: Kansas • U.S.
  1. Christine

I think it's wonderful that he alive and is back home with family. I hope someone can point him and his family in the direction of the resources they need ... whatever those may be. I would like to say that one of the comments I read said something about all the cell phones today and no call for 3 months – well let's see, the article said he had been living in the woods and had lost a lot of weight – well the last time I went hunting in the woods and left my cell phone in the truck (mainly because it wouldn't carry signal in the woods) I don't recall ever seeing any cell phones just hanging around in the woods for use ... hmm maybe it's just me and I didn't look hard enough. --–There have been a few times in my life that I wish I could have just disappeared for days myself, sometimes the chaos of life can make a person feel that way and if there are issues unknown to that person or their families then it becomes a hard reach for them to cope or to realize just exactly what they are doing. My best wishes to him and his family.

September 5, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • lvanboven

I could never find an outlet behind the tree! 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. buddy

Sounds like a psychotic break. People between the ages of 25 & 35 are the most likely to develop schizophrenia. Sudden hermatige is one of an array of possible symptoms.

September 5, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. buddy

hermitage. sorry for the sp.

September 5, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. sensei cg

He will likely be soon diagnosed with a psychiatric illness. Schizophrenia or bipolar with a manic episode. This behavior is too weird to be just a whim.

September 5, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. ummmmmmmm

this sounds like another women i forget where it was i think it was in canada a women went missing for a couple weeks and then just appeared outside her apartment building disoriented and thin deff sounds like a serious mental illness to me hope everything is ok and he can get comfort and help

September 5, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dee

The really ironic thing is reading so many idiotic and deranged comments here - and then all these nitwits acting like Luke is the crazy one, for wanting some time to himself, and going out in Nature to find it. No, that's not crazy at all. That can often be the best and sanest way of trying to sort out life's complexities. What's crazy is all you jerks who are jumping into some situation that you know next to nothing about, and using it to try and inflict more pain and suffering on a young man and his family who have already had more than their share. Go get a life of your own, already.

September 5, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. KEVIN

He ran away from daddy...wonder what daddy did.

September 5, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • jhon z

I think he was at a rave of sorts.you know how those hick kids are alawys raving in the bushes.some say mental illness I say extacy popping glow sticking.

September 5, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jaynicia

I'm glad he's safely back home. There isn't enough information contained in the article to explain what happened to him or what was going on with him beforehand so I'll just wish him and his family good luck.

September 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ep81172

I wonder how many of our tax dollars were wasted trying to find this guy who was playing hide and seek? I hope he is billed for any and all expenses that were run up searching for him.

September 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HELP

Hey guys, will you visit SaveStan.ORG a friend of mine with 4 young children is fighting for his life..........Thanks

September 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jcthinker

Probably has AT&T and it took that long to finally got a good signal.

September 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Janice

Maybe he just needed to get away from everyone and the world we all live in to ponder life and find himself. Haven't you heard of the story of the prodical son? After being away he began to remember his home and appreciate what he had and wanted to return home. Sometimes we all do reflecting, although not as extreme as this young man. Yes he probably is disoriented after not eating right and may have been living in the wilderness, who knows? But let him tell his own story. More people need to focus on welcoming back into society and home people with open arms and unconditional love. This restores peace and a healing can take place, perhaps in relationships as well. Any one can become emotionally ill from not eating, sleeping, expercising and taking care of oneself in a balanced way and be disoriented. We all need to focus on loving and accepting others with anothers weakenesses and get out of the judgment business. There is too much condeming others and prejudging without getting all the facts. Lets just try to bless one anothers lives by reaching out with empathy and love.

September 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan Stevens

Thank you for the support Janice. I believe that with all of the healthcare professionals in the immediate family – Luke will get the care that he needs. It is just interesting that no one saw him during those 96 days in the Missouri woods.

September 6, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Matthew

Cocaine....is one hell of a drug. (The necessary Dave Chappelle reference)

September 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jewel

Well at least he is alive.... and i'm a little mad they posted where he lives now at the end. if he really was kidnapped or something and escaped... well i guess his location is now reveled...

September 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shayne from NH

Finally! Proof that aliens (not the ones from Mexico) exist!

September 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |