September 8th, 2010

Jolie's plea on Pakistan floods: 'We have to support them'

For Angelina Jolie, the scale and impact of the floods that have devastated Pakistan are apparent on the faces of those she meets.

She saw it in the eyes of a couple in their 70s a husband who served twice in the military and built his house by himself for his family, one they've lived in for nearly 40 years.

"The man spoke to the fact that he never felt in his lifetime he is ever going to be able to recuperate what he lost," Jolie told Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent. "That he would never have again nice things. He would never have a nice bed, a nice house. And she they lived in this place since 1972. And raised their children and their grandchildren there. In a moment, a few hours, it was completely gone."

Jolie spoke to Gupta during her fourth trip to Pakistan as a spokeswoman for the U.N. refugee agency to help bring awareness to the country in the wake of devastating floods that have affected 21 million people.

It's a scene Jolie said may be hard for some to understand especially because of how far away it is. If people saw the eyes of the children pleading for help, perhaps they'd understand the Pakistanis' will to live, she said.

"If they met all these children [who are] so resilient and are still children and so full of life and love and hope," Jolie said that she thinks people would grasp the situation better.

"I think it is this part of the world, they are resilient people. Think of all that they have been hit with. They continue to move on, to rebuild."

Jolie said she wasn't sure what she'd see when she got to Pakistan. But after touring villages, the trip evoked a cause close to home for her reminding her of the work Brad Pitt is doing in New Orleans, Louisiana, after Hurricane Katrina. It's a comparison she said she hopes will help people understand why they need to send aid.

"I thought I'm going to see a lot of wet areas and tents, and what I saw was if people could think about New Orleans and the scale of that and how devastating that was. ... There was so much that was full of toxic materials and death and that's on a huge scale, and this is no different."

Any conflict in the area shouldn't prevent people from caring, Jolie said.

"We have to support them," Jolie said. "For all the people worried about conflict in this part of the world, they think it is far away and don't understand the corruption. The only way to make for a healthier, more hopeful, stronger Pakistan and Afghanistan is to help support education and help people, especially in this time of need, and not allow for more devastation and more desperation."

1. MrsMcJoynt

she's going to steal one of the children and bring them home to complete her collection of children. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!

On a serious note, I pray for all the people and hope that they get the help they need.

September 8, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. BurnForHire

I really do feel bad for the good people of Pakistan, and I hope that lots of well off people can assist, but I have a hard time with even beginning to think that our government should lend a hand to a country with a government as shady as Pakistan. Again – American people – you are the luckiest people in the world.

September 8, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rich

Help Pakistan? She must be joking. That whole chunk of the world is a cancer on humanity. The humanitarian thing to do would be to let it sink into the ocean. If she really wants to impress me, she should still be in Haiti with Sean Penn since they are still pretty much in massive trouble.

September 8, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • samrad

Exactly Rich! I donated to Haiti earthquake relief, but about the only thing i'd do for Pakistan is send them rubber duckies.

September 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Terry1

Anyone else have their comments blocked by CNN??? I see someone instruct Jolie to insert Pitt's D*** in her mouth, but my simple post telling her to get lost is blocked???

What gives CNN???????

September 8, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Angel

I have my own problems. Im struggling to keep my family afloat. She has millions of dollars let her pay for it. or better yet let her help me out. shes out of her god damn mind

September 8, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • kA

I can't help but wonder if all of this "support" she provides is mere pocket change compared to what she actually has. I am really sick of the wealthy begging from poor people.

September 8, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Boka

I hate her. Not dislike. Hate.

September 8, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

I hate her too. There is not one thing aout her that I like I think she should move to Pakistan and supprt them 100%

September 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bjohnson

seems Jolie has the wrong idea and loyalty and should be helping US citizens gain full time long term employment over issues that concern real Americans not Pakistanis or other foreigners....taking care of home first...if she likes Pakis that much move to Pakistan and stay there...denounce US citizenship....boycott all Jolie films...

September 8, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. The_Mick

Good for her. She & Pitt have built 34 new homes in New Orleans, so she's not one of those who just makes publicity appearances.

September 8, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • kA

Did she and Pitt give those homes to the po folk?

September 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Brandon

Where were all of these people during the oil spill? I can't for the life of me figure out why all of these celebrities go out of their way to help out when other countries need it, but none of them said a word when it was happening in America. No telethons, no fundraisers, no emotional pleas to CNN. Hell Angelina, there are plenty of kids in America that need to be adopted and loved...just a thought

September 8, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • steve

because so many of those "celebs" all rich, narcisstic, self asorbed souls who like to throw their wight around and "dictate" to the rest of us how we should live our lives. Simply-this sums up most of Hollywood. And most of them are liberal democrats, like Barbra Striesand, for example. And typically–they hate anyone that disagrees with them...

September 8, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. David

I think the picture on CNN.com's front page is actually Nadya "Octomom" Suleman and NOT Angelina Jolie

September 8, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • JC

I think you are right about that picture. That is the Octo mom

September 8, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Gloria

Why is there so much hate in this country, that has so much – what is wrong with sharing and helping others

September 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. JimmieA

This is Allah's revenge for harboring global psychopaths.

September 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Enna

Watch this and tell me that human beings don't need our help. If you can do that, you must be heartless. It's worse than the Haiti Earthquake and the Tsunami of 2004. Here's a video to put it in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5Ps9ZjwMY. I personally know several people who live in Pakistan and they are just the sweetest people–not because of where they live, but because of who they are. Open your heart.

September 8, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Robert

Sorry, but I am getting tired of this woman! I expect a photo of her with a new tatoo anyday.

September 8, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. rtw24

she could donate 1/2 of her assets and brad as well to help them, Im not sending single dollar there... We got enough problems as it is here in states....

September 8, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |