September 9th, 2010

Source: Iran to release U.S. hiker Sarah Shourd 'very soon'

Officials have said Sarah Shourd will be the one hiker released Saturday.

[Updated at 3:28 p.m.] Iran will be releasing Sarah Shourd "very soon", a spokesperson from the Iranian Mission to the United Nations tells CNN.

[Posted at 12:12 p.m.] Iran says it will release one of the three American hikers detained for more than a year on Saturday, a day after the conclusion of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, according to an official at the ministry of culture and Islamic guidance.

The source would not disclose which of the three -  Shane Bauer, Josh Fattal and Sarah Shourd– would be released.

The three were detained July 31, 2009, after they allegedly strayed across an unmarked border into Iran while hiking in Iraq's Kurdistan region. Tehran has accused the three hikers of being spies, which they deny.

The official said one of Iran's vice presidents will be present when the hiker is released at 9 a.m. Saturday.

President Barack Obama has called for their release, saying "their unjust detention has nothing to do with the issues that continue to divide the United States and the international community from the Iranian government."

The hikers' mothers were allowed to visit them in May in Tehran. The mothers said that at the time, their children told them they had not been questioned for several months.

Post by:
Filed under: Iran • World
  1. The Voice of Reason

Hassan,

I have read the Qu'ran and yes it does make me cry when I see how blantly intolerant it is to the faith of other people.

September 10, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Voice of Reason

If hikers are stupid enough to hike into, or even near, any country that is a hot-bed for terrorism, or hostage taking- they get what they deserve. Stupidity is not an excuse!

September 10, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Old Man

Several people seem to missing one important point – these are not children or even “young adults” as is being reported. The age of the woman being released is listed in various news articles as either 31 or 32. The two men are both in their late 20’s. If I remember correctly, their occupations have been listed as students, part time employees of some sort of social organization, etc. If they are spies, they failed miserably. If they are not spies then they seem to be three individuals who never really grew up.

September 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. prom girl

What is wrong with you people? Granted the three hikers were a bit stupid for hiking so close to Iran's border, but they don't deserve to rot in an IRANIAN prison. I would rather spend time in Attica at its worst than be in an Iranian prison. Also, they are journalists not CIA spies. Its against the law to use journalists as CIA operatives because of stuff like this and it flies in the face of the idea of freedom of the press. Their families will probably have to pay the ransom since the US does not negotiate with terrorists and I for one hope all of them are back home safe and sound as soon as possible.

September 12, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Your statement leads me to believe you have very little understanding of how these intelligence agencies work. It's against the law? Since when does that apply to them?

September 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. prom girl

Who does pay ransom..? If our government does pay this bail please go slow .Let those Three Americans stir over there for awhile.I think they went there and not for hiking reasons.If they did go hiking well they aren't any different than a lot of people in this country.If it is true they went hiking we had a saying .When God gave brains out these three were in the wrong line.

September 12, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. kstahmer

"Hikers," yeah right. If you buy that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in purchasing. I sincerely hope they're someone else's hikers – not our hikers – because if they're our hikers, our intelligence agencies need more sophisticated recruiters. Our "hikers" can't be that blatantly stupid, obvious and inept.

September 13, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. bob cafardi

WHO does pay out this money?f you are dumb enuf to hike over there, please don't ask me to bail you out.

September 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

No one asked you to bail them out. You already did just by earning a pay check and paying taxes like the rest of us.

September 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. puhhleaseamericanmedia

Let me just say Santa claus lies, the tooth fairy lies, Jesus Christ lied, & who could forget mother Terresa who lied about everything. Now, who gives a damn what the Quran says, Bible,Torah etcettera. There seems to be zionists on the loose again. No not Jews / zionists . Israel is spearheading investment in the american media at some million $ worth. I read in an article. Tootles beleivers of fox, glen beck , murdock!

September 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TheFreeWorld

There seems to be some details that no one is talking about. I would think that since the U.S. is in Iraq that there should be some immigration records of the hiker's entry including why they were visiting. Also no one knows what was confiscated from the hikers by Iran (cameras with pictures, cell phones with text messages, etc.). Yeah they look guilty of spying to me but I guess they could be stupid too. The only reason I see that they released Sarah is because she is ill and she is female. Males are more valuable to Iran. They will face a trial. Nuff' said.

September 19, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Hanad

Hiking!!!! looooooooooool. the entire middle east can go to hell for all i care, but this bullcrap and we all know it.

September 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. d-bag

If you believe the US government didn't pay Sarah Shourd's ransom, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you. I have the deed right in my back pocket!

September 21, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Danny Boy

What's up with your comment?!? There are 3 folks on here offering to sell a bridge of some kind! You sound like an idiot and I wish you were stuck in an Iranian prison!!

September 21, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. bob

If you are dumb enuf to go there you deserve some time in an Iranian prison.You hikers should look for a state park closer to home.

September 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |