U.S. troops in Afghanistan may soon get their burgers back.
Army Command Sgt. Maj. Marvin Hill, who took over as the senior non-commissioned officer in Afghanistan this month, told Stars and Stripes on Thursday that he was reversing a ban on fast food concessions such as Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken that had been instituted earlier this year.
‚ÄúFor troops to be able to go and grab a burger or a piece of chicken or whatever, I don‚Äôt really think it‚Äôs that bad,‚ÄĚ Hill told Stars and Stripes.
The concessions ban had been put in place by Gen. Stanley McChrystal in February as the military was boosting its troop strength in Afghanistan. McChrystal said the concessions took up space on bases and in supply lines.
‚ÄúThis is a war zone - not an amusement park,‚ÄĚ McChrystal‚Äôs senior NCO, Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall, said at the time.
But when Gen. David Petraeus took over command in Afghanistan during the summer, he allowed a review of the fast-food policy.
Hill told Stars and Stripes he decided to lift the ban after consulting with other senior noncommissioned officers.
In a report on the blog of the International Security Assistant Force Afghanistan, Hill stressed the role the restaurants play in the military‚Äôs mission.
‚ÄúNot one Burger King or Taco Bell can replace the importance of believing in the mission and providing outstanding leadership. It just enhances what they already have,‚ÄĚ he said.
Individual base commanders will have final say on whether the restaurants can open on their installation, Hill said.