September 11th, 2010

Pastor clearly says Qurans won't be burned

Controversial Florida pastor Terry Jones told NBC's "Today" show Saturday he's decided to cancel the Quran-burning event to have been held at 6 p.m.

"I can absolutely guarantee that there will never be a Quran burning at our church," Jones told NBC. "We will definitely not burn the Quran."

Earlier Friday, Jones gave mixed messages about whether he intended to carry out his plans, which have sparked international controversy and protests in the Muslim world. U.S. military leaders said the event would imperil the lives of troops abroad.

President Obama said Friday that the idea that "we would burn the sacred texts of someone else's religion is contrary to what this country stands for."

READ THE FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Anti-Islam • Florida • National security • Religion • U.S.
  1. Monica

This was all for publicity. Pathetic.

September 11, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Judy

I think it was as he said...to show that the world is being held hostage by Islamic extremists. Everyone is so afraid of insulting these maniacs meanwhile all those "friendly Moslems" are whipping themselves into a frenzy over this. You don't see them marching against Islamic extremists who are blowing them up daiily while they are at the market. They don't march against the disfiguring their wives and daughters with acid for not dressing properly or for going to school.

September 11, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • ::: BreakingNewsBlog.us for CNN :::

why isn't he jailed yet?
      BreakingNewsBlog.us for CNN http://bit.ly/bRRi2f

September 11, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • TexVet

To Breaking News.....I see you are still an idiot

September 11, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Terry mom of a soldier in Afghanistan

I agree with Terry Jones in so far as we are being held hostage. Where is freedom of OUR speech?
      BUT my baby boy is out there and he is already in danger daily. PLEASE don't help those heathens do any more damage than they are doing now.
      I say bring the soldiers home to protect the borders and Airports. We'd be a LOT safer that way. Shut off borders, deport illegals. Even if they are parents. They are here illegally. Put the children up for adoption. If we as tax payers have to pay for their schooling and such then we should be allowed to raise them.

September 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. La Piovra

It wasn't all for publicity. Some of it was for grandiosity, some for bigotry, and some for extortion. Meanwhile, Governor Christ, I know you are quite familiar with the Baker Act, so get ready for the next eruption.

September 11, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. the Dutch guy

People who want to do bad things will do it...there's no logical explanation for it...but serious the interfaith agenda is being pushed in America and around the world and that is wrong!

September 11, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. sadworld

This world is really goin to hell. Let s burn bibles and see how people react? The earth is burnin floodin eruptin and people worry about burnin religious book. This is sad. Worry about real matters in life. Like lovin each other and appreciatin life. Period

September 11, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Connie Morrison

American stands for something. protects us all. Gives us true choice and separation. if all Of us just honored and respected what we have here and really practiced it. there would be no need for anything else. Would not hurt if the adults would act as such and set some sort Of example for our grandchildren. leave a legacy Of usefulness. not blowing hot air!

September 11, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kevin

STOP saying he called it off ..... THEY ALREADY DID IT.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXexspUjtTc&w=640&h=360]

I can't understand this kind of person... but even this one act could start
    a worldwide out pouring of hate and outrage. Myself and those in my office
    gasped when he went thru with it.

September 11, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Astarte

Thank you so much for the link....YEA!!!! BURN BABY BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is still America and we STILL have our rights!! The muslims have not taken that away from us (yet).

September 11, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Connie Morrison

What? are you saying it was carried out? i just totally am bewildered. surely mistake Or news would post. right?

September 11, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Wish that were true... I have found five other videos of the same thing and the first posting of the above one as almost 20K hits. All the others have 5-13K per. The above clip is worse as that sign has been on the news all month and then some idot records and posts his buring.....

September 11, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin

I did an I Report "they already did it" and even tried to hide the content... I was hoping someone could cut it off or block the vid before it blow up.... but over night the others have gone wild:(

September 11, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Taco

I think the media is not showing it on purpose....there goes freedom of the press.

September 11, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

Astarte - I had something hateful to say to you..... But what good would it do if you’re so dense that you can't feel some ones else’s pain? Please remember that in the bible it says “do on to others have you would have them do on to you” and let’s not forget “turn the other cheek”.

September 11, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Taco

Kevin, I do feel others pain. I feel the pain of the people who lost loved ones on 9/11. I feel the pain of being an American and loosing my rights to freedom of expression. Is that enough for you?

September 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Feel pressured

ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY. WAKE UP

September 11, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

Followers of the Koran blow up people or behead them or otherwise murder them. It's too bad people follow Muhammed and other man made religions.

September 11, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. TexVet

I am watching MSNBC replaying their news broadcast from 9/11. If I had a Koran I would go right down to my town square, draw attention to myself and BURN the book!!!! We should NEVER forget what they did to us.

September 11, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kevin

Taco - To answer your question was it over 3000 Christians or Americana’s that died on 9/11/01. Remember that Muslins’ died in the towers and they die in service of our military protecting our rights. Muslims’ didn't attack us on 9/11 terrorists did. If you called for killing all terrorists I’d good with that but be sure you condemn a billion people for the acts of less than 1% of them.

By your view of things Christians’ attacked Oklahoma City as Timothy McVeigh was a Christian. I can say this much Timothy McVeigh didn’t speak for me when he killed all those people, why should a handful of terrorist’s speak for all Muslims on 9/11.

September 11, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Taco

Kevin, McVeigh didn't do that because he was of religion...he did it because he was upset with what the government did at Waco Tx. There is a HUGE difference. He was acting on his own, he didn't have billions of people sharing his own hatred toward the infidels. We should be very afraid of Muslims.

September 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kevin

Texvet - "They" doesn’t mean Muslims .... "they" should mean Al Qaeda. Should you condemn all people (that are different than you) because of the acts of just a few. Who is the real monster here. I would love to get my hands on members of Al Qaeda... THAT doesn't mean any Muslim. Please think before you open your mouth and stick your foot into it.

September 11, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • TexVet

I just watch television news replaying people in islamic countries partying in the streets upon hearing the news of what happend on 9/11. I don't think all these people dancing in the streets are al qaeda. I do think they are all muslim though.

September 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |