September 11th, 2010

Pastor clearly says Qurans won't be burned

Controversial Florida pastor Terry Jones told NBC's "Today" show Saturday he's decided to cancel the Quran-burning event to have been held at 6 p.m.

"I can absolutely guarantee that there will never be a Quran burning at our church," Jones told NBC. "We will definitely not burn the Quran."

Earlier Friday, Jones gave mixed messages about whether he intended to carry out his plans, which have sparked international controversy and protests in the Muslim world. U.S. military leaders said the event would imperil the lives of troops abroad.

President Obama said Friday that the idea that "we would burn the sacred texts of someone else's religion is contrary to what this country stands for."

READ THE FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Anti-Islam • Florida • National security • Religion • U.S.
  1. Kevin

TexVet - If you read thru the whole Koran you will find parts that talk about protecting yourself. As with the Bible if you only read half the passage it can seem very violent but if you read on it always ends with peace:

Fight in the cause of Allah with those who fight against you, but do not exceed the
    limits. Allah does not like transgressors.[190] Kill them wherever they confront you in
    combat and drive them out of the places from which they have driven you. Though
    killing is bad, creating mischief is worse than killing. Do not fight them within the
    precincts of the Sacred Mosque unless they attack you there; but if they attack you,
    put them to the sword; that is the punishment for such unbelievers.[191] If they cease
    hostility, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.[192] Fight against them until there is
    no more disorder and Allah’s supremacy is established. If they desist, let there be no
    hostility except against the oppressors.[193]

Does this have dire actions for those that attract the faithful? Yes but only to those that attack the last line calls for peace. Furthermore:

Give generously for the cause of Allah and do not cast yourselves into destruction by
    your own hands. Be charitable: Allah loves those who are charitable.[195] 2:[195]

So as you can see all these so called Muslim terrorist have not read the Koran or they would know that Allah doesn't command suicide attacks. So please don't cast hate base on the actions of those that are ignorant.

September 11, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin

TexVet - Your right but if you read the words:

"O Prophet! make war on the infidels and hypocrites, and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their abode! and wretched the passage to it!" (Sura 66:9)

This passage calls for the Prophet Mohammed to make war not Muslims’. If you read the bible:

They provoked him to jealousy with strange gods,
    with abominations provoked they him to anger.
    They sacrificed unto devils, not to God ;
    to gods whom they knew not,
    to new gods that came newly up,
    whom your fathers feared not.
    Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful,
    and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
    And when the Lord saw it, he abhorred them,
    because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.
    And he said, I will hide my face from them,
    I will see what their end shall be :
    for they are a very froward generation,
    children in whom is no faith.
    They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God ;
    they have provoked me to anger with their vanities :
    and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people ;
    I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
    For a fire is kindled in mine anger,
    and shall burn unto the lowest hell,
    and shall consume the earth with her increase,
    and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
    I will heap mischiefs upon them ;
    I will spend mine arrows upon them.
    They shall be burnt with hunger, and devoured with burning heat,
    and with bitter destruction :
    I will also send the teeth of beasts upon them,
    with the poison of serpents of the dust.
    The sword without, and terror within,
    shall destroy both the young man and the virgin,
    the suckling also with the man of gray hairs.
    Deuteronomy

Every religion claims non believers will burn in hell and their enemies will be smited by god. That dosen’t mean we should all go forth and kill anyone not of the same belief. We should use our free will or reason what we read and apply it to our own life not force other to live as we see fit.

September 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rationalist

"Every religion claims non believers will burn in hell and their enemies will be smited by god. " , That is a false statement. Show me where this is said in Buddhism, Hinduism or other eastern religious texts. Kevin, you are an Islamist posing under a christian name but it is easy to spot you. I have read the quran entirely. Its overall message is that of darul-Islam and darul-Harb, meaning us the muslims vs. the infidel, thus dividing human race. There is no spirituality in the koran. Allah is a blood thirsty and vengeful god who watches every little thing you do and punish you in hellfire if you don't strictly follow what he say or will reward you with 72 virgins in heaven if you indeed follow his teachings. Your arguments have all been debated in faithfreedom(dot)org where it has been conclusively shown that Islam is a bloodthirsty and anti-human system designed to control human beings as mindless robots.

September 12, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Thulfaqar

Kavin I disagree with you are using part of what is written you should state the complete statement it's not what you are trying to show to the world that Islam is a religion of killing and so on, Islam is a religion of peace not like what you are stating.

Well we as Muslim say one statement to who ever wants to distort the book of Allah that they will fail like all time. Is this the first time people are attacking the holly book, well it's not there has been thousands of attempt and all went unsuccessful.

I am only scared of the curse that might happen due to this deed to the innocent people because they follow blindly without knowing the truth...

Allah has revealed his book Nd he is knows better how to protect it... May all hand who wish to burn it get burnt.

Ameen.

September 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin

TexVet - calling it a day... nice talking to you and I'm glad you took the time to find and download the Koran... take a few to read it.

As you do so remember every book of religion was written by a human and we are prone to misunderstandings and can only record things as "WE BELIEVE" them.

If God give me a vision and I was to write about it.... who can say if I got his message right. He might just be giving me the secret to a happy life and I might misunderstand his meaning. By my act of human nature I might go thru life thinking I was doing what God wanted and all he was asking of me was to respect other people and love thy neighbor. Oh one last thought…. In “love thy neighbor” were doest is say “only Christians”? PEACE:)

September 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

Thulfaqar - Sir ,I repect your religion and if you would read my other post here today you would see I have been working hard to make other see that the Koran is a book of PEACE and LOVE.

Please throw no stones in a glass house:) Peace be apon you.

September 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TexVet

Kevin, I do believe you have opened my eyes some. Thank you for that. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 9 months during the first gulf war and saw first hand how muslims live. I was truly awed by it. I never thought less of them because of how they lived their lives. But after 9/11, I thought Wow! these people really are wacko! I guess that's accounts for much of the way I feel. But, in our short discussion here, you have been able to calm my fears somewhat.

I do believe we as Americans should welcome ALL faiths. But the muslims are the only ones to have attacked us in such a horrendous manner. No other religion has done such a thing to us. My belief is (was?) that any religious group that could do such a thing should not be allowed here. I hope you can understand my point of view here.

September 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BuRn It

BURN,BURN,BURN...All religion aside..So lets all just party in the streets and burn every muslim countrys flags...they burn ours it and it seems to be acceptable..these people are uncivilized ANIMALS..i watch them burning the flag my grandfather and father fought for and it makes me want to puke..Why do we as Americans put up with it..I say NUKE EM' ALL..the world would be a better place without em...and when it comes to burning the Koran..Why not its just another book..burn the bible while your at it..burn em all...set your family on fire and your neihbors too..BURN,BURN.BURN..lets just burn it all its just one giant mess anyways..Bring on the NUKES..Kill em' all , Let GOD sort em' out....

September 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin

Thulfaqar – your right to pick and choose just parts of any book to try and show the meaning of completed text is not fair. But as others pull just this part and that part you must sometimes do the same thing to open their eyes as to how they misread the written word.

I hope I have not offended you or anyone else here today. I have tried counter those the misquote the Koran and also show how even the Holy Bible can be forceful in its own way. In the end both books should be not be taken out of context but completely read for a full understanding. Hopefully my efforts here today can change even one persons mind from hate to tolerance then we all might survive on the planet without killing each other. Peace be apon you.

September 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Thulfaqar

Thanks Kavin, I did not mean to dis-respect any one by my message, actually that what I wanted to reach to and thank you once again for your clarification sir.

September 11, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

TexVet – I glad I could help you see past the hate and talking heads telling us what we should think and believe. As a service member I watched what happened on 9/11 and was horrified. And as I continue to service my country I have watched what is taking place on YouTube today. I can understand how Muslims' are horrified by what we as Americans are doing with our 1st Amendment. How can we praise our freedom of speech if we only use it to spew hate on others? I just hope it's not too late for those with cooler heads to prevail or we might be in for a world of **** in the next few days.

September 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. La Piovra

Please read Isaac Asimov's scholarly analyses of how revisions were inserted into the Old and New Testaments. The same thing happens every time the MOA's get their hands on a scripture (No, in this case, MOA is not a large, extinct New Zealand bird. It stands for Mean Old *holes, and unfortunately, they are both worldwide and very much with us.)

September 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sarah

PLEASE DONATE FOR PAKISTAN EMERGENCY DONATION & DOUBLE IT FROM CANADIAN GOVERNMENT BY SEP 12.
    CALL UNICEF CANADA 1-800-567-4483 OR UNICEF.CA
    $1, $2 OR MORE, EVERY $ COUNTS. THANKS IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY.

September 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sara Dahms

The group of people in his "congregation" must be as loony as he is,I also read that he and Rush Limbaugh attended the same school, can you believe it? They both could spin off the face of the earth and we would be better off.

September 11, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kevin

Rationalist - As i said before I’m not Muslim in fact I was born and raised an Episcopalian. You are right that I lumped every religion incorrectly when I said they all contain fire and brim stone in some way or another. This is exactly my point .... As a human I’m able to think for myself , but we tend to open our mouths and stick our size 12 boot in. I'm sorry I didn’t quantify what I said and hope I didn't offend anyone from other regions’. I'll try to remember that in the future... as to your rant.... well you can listen to what others tell you or find the information for yourself. The link provided leads to a true translation of the Koran. If you take the time to read it you might learn something.... as your statement as show me that I have to check myself before I correct others.... Thanks:)

September 12, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Rationalist

So, you mask is coming off! What I say is "rant" but we have to take what you say as the word of wisdom? hmmmm... not the kind of innuendos that person who tells others how great and balanced his views are, don't you think?

September 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rationalist

As the other replies that I left for you regarding the al-kafirun 109 sura that you quoted, let me see if CNN would let me post this reply under this post of yours:

Sura 109-6 was not a statement of peaceful coexistence, rather it is a declaration of disgust with the quraish the kafirs:

(109:6) To you is your religion, and to me, my religion. *5
      *5 That is, "My religion is entirely distinct and separate from your religion. I am not a worshipper of your gods and you are not worshippers of my God. I cannot worship your gods and you are not prepared to worship my God, Therefore, you and I can never follow and walk one and the same path together." This is not a message of tolerance to the disbelievers, but a declaration of immunity, disgust with and dissociation from them as long as they are disbelievers. Its object is to disappoint them absolutely and finally that in the matter of religion the party of Allah's Messenger and his followers would ever come to terms with them. This same declaration of immunity and expression of disgust has been made in the Makki Surahs revealed after this Surah successively.

September 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kevin

Rationalist - Oh I looked at your post again..... you stated that the Koran put Muslims Vs Infidel. Point of fact:

109 AL-KAFIRUN – THE INFIDELS
    In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
    Say: O infidels! I worship not that which you worship, nor will you worship that
    which I worship. I shall never worship those gods whom you worship, nor it
    appears will you ever worship Allah, whom I worship. to you be your religion, and
    to me mine.

The Qur'an in Englishthey are right
    MidEastWeb for Coexistence http://www.mideastweb.org 275

Also you need to remember is our Christian faith that goes around the world telling other religions that they are wrong. Point in fact ... the Crusades was Christians trying to convert Muslims to our faith.
    Each religion says they are right and others are wrong.... in the Bible it says to go forth and spread the word of god. Depending how you take this you can tell others how you love god or tell them how they should love god as you do. This shows how we as Christians can put our own spin on the word of god. No disrespect intended, but would it not be better to go forth and spread your love of god but respect others as you do it.

September 12, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |