September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. Easter Treats

Thank you, I have recently been searching for info approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you positive concerning the supply?

July 24, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. SpaceMonkey

@ Hank.. lmao! I agree with you bro! You bring a gorgeous woman to a locker room or whatever filled with men.. they will tease and play. SHE OR ANY OTHER WOMEM...SHOULD EXPECT THAT! Is it right..NO! But they're just teasing or horsing around. Now.. if these men actually used profanity or worse physically touched her...that's a whole different story!

September 13, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tony

stupid azz, you must be a fat dude that expect your wife to cook and you are sitting down farting... wake up !!!!

September 13, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. SpaceMonkey

SHE'S HOT!

September 13, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Emily

Regardless, it's pretty stupid to harass a reporter. There's no way you're going to escape getting bad press out of it. Good to see she had a sense of humor about it though... being an attractive female reporter in sports, you have to expect a certain amount of joking.

September 13, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. C

I should add, I'm not saying that she's the only one at fault. I absolutely do not agree with the "team" messing around with her, but she could have dressed/acted differently to prevent it. I mean, come on, yes, she's pretty – but she should have seen this coming.

September 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. tpod

since when does what someone wears make it okay to harrass them?

September 13, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mtjhax

Is it seriously 2010? Because there are no flying cars and idiots are still arguing that men cannot be expected to have control over themselves around women.

September 13, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. derek

yeah, her ankles were showing, lets stone the infidel!

September 13, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. soyyo

oh sure blame the person for what they wear, not the millionaires acting like boys

September 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Kyle

How do you level harassment charges when the alledged 'victem' says "It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

Some people need to stop worrying so much about other people and sticking their nose into something to just make noise.

September 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. C. Smith

If nothing more than what is reported here happened, it isn't really harassment. It's joking, which should be expected (as has been stated), especially with an attractive woman. If they said more behind her back... it still isn't harassment, as it wasn't directed AT her. Inappropriate, maybe, but not harassment. If they did things that she's not talking about, then she needs to talk about them. Otherwise, someone in the media is playing the PC tune too loud and needs to be fired.

September 13, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bull

Reporters and all news people are NOT your friends.It's best to ignore them and say nothing to them.

September 13, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jeff

Monica L – you're right – this is NOT Central AMerica. BUT when an American woman goes to the middle east she covers her head because to be an international person you must understand and adapt to other cultures. I might add it seems okay these days for women to wear whatever they want into the workplace – low cut tops, extra short skirts. And men can't say anything and must act accordingly.

September 13, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Kim

Just because someone does not dress as you judge to be appropriate, does not give others the right to harrass them. Should she cover herself head to toe in order to avoid the ignorance of others? Last I checked, this was still the USA where women have a right to dress as they see fit. That NEVER gives others the right to be abusive!!

September 13, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply