September 13th, 2010

Reporter says she accepts Jets owner's apology

[Updated, 6:34 p.m.] The owner of the New York Jets has apologized to a TV Azteca reporter following allegations that Jets personnel harassed her at practice this weekend, and she has accepted, the reporter told CNN's Rick Sanchez on Monday.

The NFL says it is investigating media reports that Jets players behaved inappropriately - including allegedly hooting and hollering at her in their locker room - when Ines Sainz visited the team Saturday to interview Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez for the Mexican TV network.

Sainz said Monday that Jets owner Woody Johnson called her to apologize. ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier Monday that Johnson said he offered an "open apology" to her.

"I accept the apologies, and I said thanks to him for the concern and all the rest of the team, because he promised that he is going to make everybody on his team respect … women," Sainz said on CNN's "Rick's List." "And I think the important point is that women deserve respect in any profession, so I think it's going to happen."

Sainz said that although she told Johnson not to worry, she did feel a little uncomfortable because of players' behavior in the locker room, and that she thinks the behavior was unacceptable.

"I think that it’s not good that this kind of thing happened, and it mustn't happen anymore. I'm agreeing with the idea that it's good that everybody knows that a woman or a man deserve the same treatment in the locker room," Sainz said.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims that while she was standing on the sidelines at practice, Jets coach Rex Ryan and a member of his staff overthrew passes so they would land near her.

Then, when she entered the locker room to interview Mark Sanchez, she said she heard players discussing her.

"I try not to hear anything, try not to pay attention. My cameraman told me, 'Don't look on the right, don't look at the left," she said. "But I really feel the noise and all the environment was talking about me."

She said she never felt she was in danger in the locker room. Later, she said, other reporters said they heard the players say things about her that she didn’t hear.

"One colleague – one female colleague – came with me and [told] me, 'I'm so sorry. It mustn't happen. It's not OK,'" Sainz said. "So I tried to calm her. … I really know that she [heard] something that I didn't hear, and the rest of the media … heard things that I didn't really hear. So I really appreciate the concern about it."

[Original post, 9:58 a.m.] The New York Jets think this is their year. They were one game from the Super Bowl last season, were just featured on HBO’s NFL documentary series “Hard Knocks” and their coach Rex Ryan is on the cover of this week’s New York Times magazine and seems to love putting himself and his team in the spotlight.

So you’d think that with their season starting tonight with the first game in their brand new stadium, on Monday Night Football no less, they’d be thrilled to be on the front page of the New York tabloid papers. But today’s publicity isn't the kind of publicity the Jets really want - the league is investigating whether coach Ryan, a member of his staff, and some of his players behaved inappropriately toward TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

Sainz, working with one of the most popular Mexican TV networks, was at the Jets camp Saturday to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to the New York Post, Sainz claims Ryan and assistant coach Dennis Thurman overthrew passes so they would land near her. The Post also says Jets players allegedly hooted and hollered with Sainz walked in the locker room.

Sainz, former Miss Spain, tweeted that she was “dying of embarrassment” according the Post.

Sainz' Twitter page

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz pictured during the 2007 Super Bowl.

Sainz, being her own Monday morning quarterback, addressed the concerns in an interview with a TV Azteca reporter, saying while she was embarrassed, she didn't realize it was going to become that big of a deal.

Sainz told her colleague that she did notice that footballs were being thrown her way but, “to be quite honest, it didn’t bother me… I took it as a joke, and none of the footballs actually hit me.”

“It was definitely a joking tone, very amicable," Sainz said, regarding the tone Sanchez had with her. “I wasn’t offended.”

But she did say in the interview that she didn't hear everything said about her - and apparently several other members of the media took the interactions much more seriously. She added perhaps they heard something she hadn't.

“I was surprised to wake up on Sunday and have a call from the NFL , saying that they wanted to talk to me about what had happened at the Jets; and I asked… what happened?" Sainz told TV Azteca. "And they said well there is a pretty powerful accusation of harassment and then it was at that point I realized the magnitude of what had happened. “

The NFL says it’s investigating and The Association for Women in Sports Media says the Jets and the league have been responsive to their concerns. They also say on their website that they plan to hold an educational session for the Jets this week or next.

The Jets are one of the favorites to go the Super Bowl this season, but the New York Daily News’s Gary Myers looks at how this incident could derail the team if they’re not careful.

1. paarty time

If you want RESPECT, than do a job that GAINS RESPECT. Being a sportscaster dressed like a playboy centerfold IS NOT RESPECTFUL. You get what you ask for.

September 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Big Frank

If she wants respect, interview folks at a church bingo. She hasn't any good reason to enter a male lockeroom, or does she? This episode got her name and pics posted everywhere, watch her career boom now.

September 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Kadie

Yes....it DOES matter how you dress. Would she dress like this if she were invited to dinner with the President?? No, she wouldn't which means she doesn't consider it professional, yet she wears this stuff while she's working. If she doesn't want to be treated like a cheerleader, then she should take her job a little more seriously and dress for it. No one is going to take her seriously as long as she is dressed like she's headed to the club and if she's shock about getting cat calls in the locker room of PRO FOOTBALL PLAYERS dressed like this, shes not only dressing stupid, she IS stupid

September 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Steve

Since when is whistling at a girl, or throwing a ball to try to stand near her considered harassment?

September 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pacoatemiami

It's only illegal in the workplace.

September 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TARKUS

I think the note is wrong. She wasn´t miss Spain. She is mexican born in Sinaloa. But yes, she´s beautiful very hot.

September 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Holmes

And based on her antics here and trying to prosper from this "brief" very "brief" appearance in the limelight my guest would be her brain is very very small...

September 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Iker

Ines Sainz is not former miss Spain, she's mexican.

September 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Chris

SpaceMonkey & Hank are the few on here with some sense.

Let's look at it this way; how would you judge or talk to a guy dressed in baggy pants sagging off his butt...
    Now a 6ft white man, tan skin, dressed in a nice business suit?

Sorry but the way you dress does effect the way you are treated. It may not be right, but it is how our society is.

You dress for success: So don't go to a job interview wearing sagging pants & don't get all upset when men in THEIR locker room hoot & holler at you when you wear a short spaghetti strap showing midsection with tight pants while attempting to conduct interviews inside said locker room...

September 13, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mike

What's sad is that the person who was allegedly, 'harassed' didn't even file the complaint herself or care until some worthless organization made her aware of it. Is it even harassment if the alleged target says they weren't harassed?

September 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jesse

This reminds of of what Dave Chappelle said about women dressing like streetwalkers.
    "Just because I'm dressed this way does NOT make me a streetwalker!"
    Yes, yes, this is true, but ladies, you gotta understand that it's confusing. You may not be a streetwalker, but you're definitely wearing the uniform.

September 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ALP

What does she expect when going into a male locker room? I am female and have no pity for her. It's the guys locker room. Why can't she wait until they come out? Why does she have to go in there? You don't see any male reporters in female locker rooms.

September 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Meoff

Exactly why are there no male reporters in female locker rooms ??

September 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMG

Personally, I would like to be a test case for guys in girls locker rooms. Just give me a year within the female soccer player's locker room and we will see how it goes.

September 13, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jack Meoff

This is what happens when you send women into the men's Locker Rooms. What do people expect to happen when these female reporters are in the locker rooms that the men have to change their clothes hence becoming naked. No place for female reporters. All interviews should be done outside the locker rooms.

September 13, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Pacoatemiami

"It didn't bother me" "I wasn't offended" - CASE CLOSED! Who cares if some egg-shell bystander was offended!

September 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mark

Females have taken over reporting on the males sports scene, esp. Football. Females know what they may hear or see when around these players. Have you seen an ugly female reporter yet? NO.
    They should be banned from the locker room and have a meeting room outside the locker room, this includes men.

September 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason Storms

While I haven't yet seen a truly ugly female reporter in football, Pam Oliver was looking kinda rough yesterday...

September 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Max

A woman dressed like a street walker goes into a men's locker room and is embarrassed at the cat calls. If you want to be viewed and treated like a professional, ACT LIKE ONE! SHE is an embarrassment to all women who work hard to be good at what they do (as opposed to those who tart their way to the top).

September 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply