September 16th, 2010

Police: Washington woman admits acid attack was a hoax

Bethany Storro told police an African-American woman threw acid in her face.

A Washington woman who told police that a stranger threw acid in her face admitted Thursday that her injuries were self-inflicted, authorities said.

Bethany Storro, 28, told Vancouver Police that an African-American woman passed her on the street and threw a cup of caustic liquid in her face the evening of August 30. She was released from an Oregon hospital on September 5 after undergoing surgery for her injuries after the alleged attack.

But discrepancies emerged during the investigation, Vancouver Police Chief Clifford Cook said in a press conference Thursday.

"Ms. Storro admitted her injuries were self-inflicted and the attack itself had not occurred as she had previously reported," he said.

Storro had credited a pair of sunglasses that she bought shortly before the attack with saving her eyesight. But details such as those led police to question her version of the attack, said police Commander Marla Schuman.

"It was all the little things that didnt quite add up," Schuman said.

Storro is still being interviewed by detectives. Prosecutors will decide whether to charge her, Schuman said.

"She is extremely upset," Schuman said. "She is very remorseful. It got bigger than she expected."

FULL STORY

1. mark

Conservatives will blame batman movies

September 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cecilia

Poor girl even if it was fake, you gotta feel sorry for her.

September 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perryboy

I don't feel sorry for that B. She should be put in jail where some real bad balcks are. They'll take care of her.

September 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perryboy

@ Cecilla I feel more sorry for you. You need so more pot

September 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sandra

This girl should have to pay all the doctor and hospital bills herself. This seems like a type of insurance fraud if she had insurance to pay for that. I think she should have to take responsibility and pay for all the medical bills. Furthermore, she should issue an apology to the public in general for trying to fuel a racial divide by "accusing" a hypothetical African American woman. Some unsuspecting woman could have matched the description and gotten arrested! This girl is a jerk!

September 16, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Well said.

September 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. allourfault

WTH? WHO DOES THIS THEMSELVES? man, i've seen some idiots but ths one takes the cake. i bet our taxes will foot the bill for her therapy and plastic surgery. christ........

September 16, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan B

Let's not blame this young woman. Before this incident, she was a fashion model calibre beauty. To throw a cup of searing, flesh burning acid on her own face and the excruciating pain to follow, indicates professional help is needed for her immediately!

September 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dale

I use to work with acid cleaning hoods & ducks for resturants & i've gotten it in the face & it feels like a 1000 bee stings at once! anyone that does that is crazy! to implicate a black person only makes her a crazy racist! put her in the nutt ward for a long time!

September 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. snaptee

I'd nail her.

September 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MD

This is the result of heavy drug abuse or severe malnutrition during her pregnancy (blaming her mother) or just acquired due to essential stupidity...

September 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Not surprised

I knew it all along....this is sad.

September 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rudenmean

Is her LIE any different than those from the T Party that Obama Is NOT A citizen, bent on destroying America! A Muslim ready to impose Sharia Law.
    Idiots will believe ANYTHING derogatory no matter how ridiculous the claim, as long as it is directed against a race they HATE!!!

September 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mary derricotte

Not so long ago she would have not been throughly questioned and some African American women would have went to jail. When she drew that picture I knew she was a lie, just like Susan Smiths picture of a African American it was a picture of a slave. The look of the sterotypical drawing. So I guess the next time they blame it on A Black person that person should look 21st century.

September 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

I agree... but another scary thing is the people who make those drawings are usually police artists!!

September 16, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Matthew73

You know what, this is gonna get flagged as racist, but here goes: it doesn't matter what your race or ethnicity is, a certain percentage of people from your group are going to be terrible people.
    She chose to blame it on a black woman not out of racism but ignorance. There are very few blacks in Vancouver, Washington.
    Let's stop playing the racism card here, simply because she said she was assailed by a black person.
    I was once beaten by a black man, did it make me racist that I told the cops he was black?

September 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rudedog

I truly believe she USED the black villain card for a purpose.
      In her twisted mind it was MORE believeable. See current lies against the BLACK president from Kenya who was raised in a Madrassa.

September 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rudedog

Obviously a Tea Party member.

September 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Harry

That's craziness for you. Obviously severely mentally and emotionally unstable individual. Just goes to show, just because you're an attractive person doesn't make you immune to mental illness.

September 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. magpie

I don't want to be sarcastic,angry,or fearful. I just want to ask everyone would you have invited her into your home, treated her like a royal princess,etc.? Did you feel justified hating the "monster" that would do such an evil thing? You never know the monsters until they show their TRUE face. I am African-American and I would have invited the monster into my home to care and comfort her. I was horrified that someone would or could do something so heinous. I was fooled. I was quick to jump to conclusions. I pray I learn my lesson. I pray we ALL will.

September 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |