September 17th, 2010

Parents of woman who threw acid on self still puzzled

The parents of a Washington woman who admitted making up a story about an assailant throwing caustic liquid in her face told reporters Friday that they don't know why their daughter inflicted her own wounds.

"She's obviously dealing with some deep internal, emotional and psychological problems that we had no knowledge of and we hope that she'll get the help that she needs," said Nancy Neuwelt, mother of 28-year-old Bethany Storro. "She's got a long road ahead of her, but she's on the road, and we're going to walk it with her."

Joe and Nancy Neuwelt said there were no signs of trouble leading up to the August 30 incident, after which Storro originally told police she had been attacked by an African-American woman with an athletic build and slicked-back hair pulled into a pony tail.

On Thursday, Storro admitted her injuries were self-inflicted, Vancouver police said. The Neuwelts said they had no reason to doubt their daughter's story - as "any good parents would" - until Storro confessed on Thursday.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Hoax • Washington state
  1. Jay

CNN commenters are retarded.

September 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LovingFather

Her father was quoted as saying: "We've no idea what caused her instability. We gave her a home and plenty of love. In fact, I made love to her two or three times a week since she was five."

September 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T-2000

They need to make her do some time for this.

September 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. connie morrison

sad to say . . . its hard to believe everyone that post comments here are adults.

September 19, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. connie morrison

If we are all individuals then why is there always someone else needed to be blamed. The mistakes Or simple poor decisions Ive made in my life I have done all by myself without any help from my parents or anyone else. Maybe a blog could offer more encouragement for handling situations we are delt in life and a Lil less looking for others to blame. if you believe in a higher power then pray for the girl, her family and friends. if you dont. . . then your above it all anyhow.

September 19, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. susan bembry

I think she needs prayer and JESUS I dont worry about white people hating black people because if they only new the one to be made at is the creator not the creture read the bible it will help Jesus is soon to come.

September 19, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Eileen Hegel

Hi All – Try to set aside what the girl said and look at her as a sick individual in need of psychological counseling. Sick people say sick things! Anybody who would throw acid on their own face to disfigure oneself for life, indeed, needs some serious help! Stop blaming her parents or anybody else for that matter! S-I-C-K!

September 19, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. T-2000

Good afternoon all. I'm a Black Man but today im gonna go on vacation and become a white woman. OK, here it goes. POOF! Oh wow I feel better already! GOES TO THE STORE AND...THE HORROR! A big black man just looked in mydirection. Im callin the police! 10 minutes later the black man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder. Later that day Jennifer(that's my white woman name. But my friends call me Jen!). goes to work out @ the gym and a Big Scary Black Lady starts running on the treadmil next to me! OH MY GOD! Seeing Jen in danger a white man (who looks a lot like Christopher Reeve for some odd reason)dashes in pushes the scary black lady aside and flies Jen away to safety. Jen thanks him and with a smile he says no problem just doing my job! And he flies away to help the many other white women in need. Meanwhile...back at Jens apt she plays with her dog and listens to her new Hana Montana cd as she waits for her boyfriend Ken to arrive. POOF! I'm a black man again. Wow I sure learned some things. First, never wear white after Labor Day (so tacky!)and white women love that David Becham guy for some reason. Anyway, its been fun! See u all next time!

September 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dale

The majority of the comments ive just read are foolish. are we as human beings ever going to get past the issue of race? a disturbed white person threw acid in their own face!!! the lady isnt rational. i really don't care if she's racist or not. what disturbs me is that people would allow something as insane as this to start that foolish white vs. black stuff up again. america grow up!

September 19, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. T-2000

Party in the USA! Party in the USA! Go Miley! Dangit! Cant get this song out of my head!

September 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sarah

PLEASE DONATE FOR PAKISTAN EMERGENCY DONATION & DOUBLE IT FROM CANADIAN GOVERNMENT BY Oct 3rd.
    CALL UNICEF CANADA 1-800-567-4483 OR UNICEF.CA
    $1, $2 OR MORE, EVERY $ COUNTS. THANKS IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY.

September 19, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ms Vicky

WOW! To self-inflict acid to yourself has to be a hard blow to the mind. Life is really hard to most if not all of us these days. But don't ever do anything like THAT! There are many places to get help these days. My god, don't just OFF yourself. And NEVER blame it on someone else. PRAY, get saved, reach out for help, cry, shout, dial 911 or call somebody tell them you need help. REACH OUT AMERICA

September 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ms Vicky

September 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gena

These comments are cracking me up! You all are so funny! We Americans love to make jokes at the expense of other people's misfortune! We should just be careful not to be hurtful to people who truly are in need of love and support! Americans rock!

September 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |