A vintage segment of gas pipeline that exploded earlier this month was not on a list of the Pacific Gas & Electric's top 100 risky pipeline segments, the president of the company said Monday.
The 30-inch pipe that exploded in San Bruno, California, on September 9, killing four people, was laid in 1948, the same year a segment just two miles away - one that was on the top 100 list - was laid.
"That segment of pipe?" PG&E president Chris Johns said, referring to the San Bruno segment. "It was not on the top 100 list."
"We were not aware of anything in this particular area that met the criteria of what would have put it on the list," Johns told reporters.
Johns said the list is used for planning purposes and can change.