September 22nd, 2010

Obama says health care reform helping people get by

Faced with a divided public over his signature legislative achievement, President Barack Obama on Wednesday hailed the health
care reform bill passed in March as important for helping both the government and the American people deal with rising medical costs.

The measure endured a bitter political fight that saw no Republicans vote for its final approval, and recent polls show it remains controversial as Democrats face congressional elections in November amid a tough climate due to lingering economic woes.

Obama told a carefully orchestrated meeting with people who have benefited from health care reform that their stories are the best way to counter what one participant called "misinformation" spread by opponents of the measure.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Health Care
  1. Ancient Texan

NOBODY is buying into this debacle other than the original "gimmie" crowd. Hopefully this volatile timebomb will be reversed before it totally banksrupts the nation.

September 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BOBBI KINNEY

Ancient Texan! I think you are right on the money with that comment. My insurance has done nothing but go up because they are getting ready for the BIG SLAM DUNK from the government down the road! It's just the idiots that are still buying into the lies!

September 23, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Greg

What a LIE!! I have no Medical Insurance and can not get it due to a very minor prior condition...neither can my wife. We have three children. The gove says I make too much money..to qaulify for any assistance...So, here we sit, with 60k in bills after our baby was born without insurance....and the irs saying they want their 40k in taxes from me for last year. Let me get this right...I pay the governemtn so they can take care of the lazy and illegals...but I work my butt off and get stuck with no medical care, taxes, and all the non-insured bills. Thank you OBUMA..you are an idiot.

September 22, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reasonable

Greg I do hope you understand that this will now allow you to be insured and you can no longer be denied coverage?

September 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bennett

Wow Greg – 40k in taxes. That means you have to have over 200k in taxable income (at least, assuming you didn't make quarterly payments), after deductions and credits. Good for you. So if you put that 60k medical bill in as a deduction, at 28% you'll drop your bill by approx 17k, right? More or less.

And Obama did sign into law that you and your wife can no longer be denied coverage, so I suggest you try applying again! This is something the Repugnicans want to repeal. Why? It makes no sense.

You pay the Govt so they can take care of the less fortunate... If you don't want to take care of the less fortunate, well, good luck on Judgment day!

September 22, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jimmy

Obama lies every time he opens his mouth . He needs 2 just shut up and go away , far away

September 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jan from Michigan

And because I have health care for which I gave up wages to get, I will be taxed next year on what it costs my ex-employer to provide. Why should I have to pay for healthcare for those that don't want to work.

September 22, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. hoss

I have healthcare through the v.a. happy i have something but the government is not the way to go.

September 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jimbo

Did any one see the interview with Obama's aunt yesterday in Boston? She said "the us government gave me so much and I do not feel I have to give anything back". She is an illegal immagrant who gets SSI disability monthly, public assistance paid rent yet she has never contributed a penny to the system. Her ignorance is unreal!
    Read the article and comments and watch the video.

WBZ news – Boston.

September 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. deli

Let me tell u all idiots , ignorants and dumb people in this blog. i for one also dont have health insurance and i work at healthcare for alzimers elderly and i`am single and i pay so much for healthcare for the people who needs it the most the elderly and i dont complain and whinning. u dont know what`s gonna happened to u 2marrow u all might ended up at the hospital and be send to rehab my work and believe me u will be ender medicare and i will pay for it. stop u r b.s shut the hell up.

September 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. scandor

yeah lets blame the government for the insurance companies bending you over a barrel and giving you the high hard one to save their record profits.

September 23, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe

NO. Obama's health care don't let me go by. I am on disability, my social security payment cannot afford me the get Part B on my Medicare which was increased, and we expect another increase on the premiums next year. So I kept my part A, and Luckily I am a veteran which I can use their clinincs and have my doctor visitation for my prescriptions. So Obama"s healthcare is useless to me, and probably many others with the same financial situation.

September 23, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. King

Let me see! The health care cut the budget, bring down cost, cover 30 million more fellow patriotic americans, gives humongus more priviliges and oportunities. Tax break for small business to help with cost and some how you let the gop and baggers convince you this is a bad thing. how far can your impotence go.

September 23, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jude

I work very hard & I am an American citizen. When I was able to pay for insurance, I was denied coverage due to prior health issues many years ago. My work isn't always steady so, even though I can no longer be denied coverage I can't always afford the premiums. I had a lump in my neck and without insurance and no alternate care options, I did not go to the doctor. I later discovered a lump in my throat & have a large amoung of weight, I am tired,weak & pale but, I am currently working 10 hrs a day. I will miss my kids & watching my grandkids grow up. I am scared of what will happen when I can no longer go on without medical care. I do not want to be a burden on my family or the people like Greg that are so worried about what others might cost him. Greg, unfortunately I currently do not have health insurance & I am fairly certain I will suffer & die an unpleasant death since I have not had medical care. But, I will get up at 4:30 in the morning & go to work & am determined to do so until I cannot. Since I cannot afford medical care, I will be planning & paying for my funeral expenses with the money I am currently earning. I do not want to be a burden to anyone but, I think it is a shame that a hardworking American has to die without medical treatment. I do see a lot of healthy, young people that sit back on welfare & have the option of running to the Dr. with a cold. That doesn't seem exactly fair but, I have decided to not be angry or bitter towards those people.

September 27, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply