September 23rd, 2010

GOP leaders pledge to cut government, taxes

House Republicans sought to recapture the spirit of their 1994 election landslide Thursday, unveiling a 21-page "Pledge to America" that includes promises to slash taxes, cut government and reverse President Barack Obama's health care reforms.

Among other things, House GOP leaders pledged to permanently extend all of the Bush-era tax cuts due to expire at the end of this year - including for individuals making over $250,000.

They also proposed giving small businesses a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income, while requiring Congress to review any new federal regulations that add to the deficit.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Scotty

If the tax cuts were only for the rich, how come the Prez now wants to keep the Middle Class portion of them ?

September 24, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ancient Texan

The Economy was great prior to the Democrats taking over Congress in the 2006 elections. Average unemployment rate was 5.2% and the Dow was @ or near 14,000. Barney and Chris refused to put controls on Freddie/Fannie and it all went downhill from there. Yeah, I'd sure go back to 2001-2008, beats the mess we are in now!

September 24, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scotty

The Lib's class warfare and racial accusations are getting old, try thinking up something new. We (the people) are going to hold EVERYONE accountable. Stopping this regime is just the first step. Once people see that they can make a differance, we'll stay involved and work on the next group that gets elected and breaks their promises.

September 24, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. vwrtb

20 pages! we all know republicans can't read! Just look at the ignorant stuff they say about insurance reform! Republicans had to contract someone to write it for them...

September 24, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. vwrtb

dems had bare majority in 2006 with bush W. Vetoing every liberal bill trying to stop this mess before it began... Sorry with the ignorant explanation on how the dems were responsible for this mess when not one piece of there legislation went to law... Idiot ancient Texan... Go by a color t.v. And catch up ancient Texan!

September 24, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. duke

Yes it was obama,s fault that the last contract that the re pubs came up with failed!
    Yes mr. Obama caused ol newt and the holier than thou crowd to overspend,start unjust wars,and I think c house was started by obama so the conservative can have somewhere to take their lover boy's.
    I pledge to make life way worst for all who can't afford to live in the land that was carved out specifically for the real american.
    I pledge to do away with all social programs,fire,police,parks,infrastructure,medicare,Medicade,
    I pledge to you the american worker that a vote for us(the party of god)(gop)means better living for your boss not you.

September 24, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. duke

Republicans really do sound schizophrenic" I Pledge lower taxes"911"my friends terrorism,bush cared about the people"muslim""he's a socialist"no he ain't he's a marxist""give us back our country"don't touch my medicaid""smaller less intrusive government but we will tell you what to do with your body
    I pledge to keep up the wars with borrowed money from china,
    I pledge to keep my cronies in good positions like the supreme court,because we all know that corporation have first amendment rights equal to all else that include foreign corporations

September 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ancient Texan

Where is my response to vwrtb? I was more than polite!

September 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. richard in houston

Peterg. How do you pass a budget deficit ?

September 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. richard in houston

Derik. Right back at you bro. If you don't like it by all means the boat is over there

September 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |