September 24th, 2010

Garrido trial postponed pending competency exam

Criminal proceedings against Phillip Garrido will be put on hold until a determination is made as to whether the California man is competent to stand trial, a spokeswoman for El Dorado County Superior Court said.

A hearing has been set for October 8, when an expert will be appointed. Garrido did appear in court today.

Garrido and his wife, Nancy, are accused of kidnapping 11-year-old Jaycee Dugard in 1991 and holding her captive in their Antioch home for 18 years. Parole officers visiting the home of Garrido, a convicted rapist, saw and spoke to Dugard but never questioned why she was there, California officials disclose in newly released documents that figured in the settlement.

The state of California recently signed a $20 million settlement with Dugard.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Jaycee Dugard • Uncategorized
  1. HangemHigh

Public hanging is the only way to go! It should be broadcast as Pay-per-veiw event. The procedes should then be given to the victim(s). This world is to small and life is defenitely to short to waste our time in dealing with these monsters.

September 25, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

If you smashed the insides of a piano until it couldn't be played anymore and wasn't fixable, it would stop being a piano. Fiends like the Garridos–no matter how mentally troubled they may be-have done things that make them unfit for
    society and useless, like a shattered piano. If these people had any sense of shame and fairness, they'd be begging to spend the rest of their lives behind bars. Don't hold your breath. They're looking to just walk.

September 25, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • hb123

Actually, it still would be a piano – just one that doesnt work. Unless you smash the whole thing to bits, at which time it becomes a pile of wood.

September 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Val

It seems that the courts will inflict as much emotional torment on this young woman and her kidnappers/rapists did. He is a manipulator and an actor who is playing games because he does not want to pay for his crimes. He wants to be in a cushy hospital room setting for his poor mental affliction, poor baby. Her dad should just get a gun and blow the guy away at his next court appearance. Justice will then be served and no jury in the world would convict the father.

September 25, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Gidgit

Yes, they would, they would have to. It is still illegal, and while the courts would sympathize with him, never has vigilantism been tolerated.

September 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ken

I know all to well what it is like to be kidnapped, it happened to me when I was a kid. Granted it wasn't for nearly as long as Jaycee, but like she will, I will deal with the issues of that period of my life for the rest of my life. The best thing for her to do is to deal with what happened to her in whatever way she see's fit and show that monster that she will always be stronger than he ever could be. May God bless her and her daughters.

September 25, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ken

Also, I make sure I show up for every one of my abducters parole hearings just to throw it in the face of that monster that I will ALWAYS be stronger than him. Jaycee's kidnapper and rapist can stall all he wants. In the end he will get what he deserves. I also saw the thing on TV when Jaycee told the world that she is alright. I saw in her eyes that she is a strong woman and I think that she will get through this the same way she got thru her 18 years in captivity, by being strong and looking towards the future.

September 25, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Baubo

He's competent – this is just another formality our system unfortunately must provide to EVERYONE – but if you think he would literally walk out those doors and LIVE freely in society, I would bet my last dollar that SOMEONE will be waiting in the bushes for him! Castration should be included in that "exam", plus a labotomy, and then left in the corner in a wheelchair and forgotten. Hose down his nasty stench once a month or so, and douse his sores with alcohol. I want to see him live a VERY LONG life so he can be abused in prison like he did Jaycee! His WIFE should be the one being examined because SHE'S nuts for standing by watching him all those years. What a pair they are! I hope they experience torture beyond their wildest dreams by their "prison peers" every chance they get. Death sentances are too good for them. They NEED to suffer! A VERY long time! Wish I could have him for just 24 hours! Aren't you glad I'm not in charge of these people? NO DEATH for any of them! The real justice comes in TORTURE!

September 25, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. CTP

I don't think anyone is surprised that they are claiming he is not mentally fit to stand trial. My question is why did they wait 13 months to make it an issue? Shouldn't this have been taken care of right away. Shame on the court for letting them now use this as a stalling technique so they drag this out as long as possible.

September 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • PhoenixRising

CTP: I understand your frustration at this delay in the trial. However, the competency of a defendant can be raised at any point in the proceedings. He could be considered to be competent one day and the next incompetent. Granted, this may be used as a delay tactic. But, sadly, he really may *not* be competent to stand trial, which is a vastly different claim than that of "not guilty due to insanity" (which almost *never* works with juries).

September 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. getdarope!!

well well where do i start....ummm lets see first off what a system we have to want to make sure this monsters rights are not violated and yes to all who said this man is mentally challenged because a NORMAL person would not think about doing such a crime against a child,i have three kids and a wife i would die for and work my butt off to make sure they have the best in life, so that being said please excuse my personal opinion in this matter....i say dont waste money on court or keeping him locked away somewhere instead put him and that b!*+ch in a room with me and i promise on everything i love and care for these monsters would not be around to harm,touch,or even think about a child no one on this earth is perfect especially me but comeon how many more kids need to be abducted,molested,or murdered before we as a community decide its enough look at it this way its a product that has malfunctioned,and needs to be returned to the creater

September 25, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sick

Only in califoria things like this happen.he and her should be shot and killed for their,this country and the damn UCLA traitors protect these sicko perverts.he needed tougher laws against these sickos they should all be castarated.ucla now protecting terrorists.

September 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. what

The only people who should be check for Incompetency are the proscuter and the parole officer.this sicko was clever he should be hung.

September 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. what

Jaycee still loves him,and he is the father of her kids and she does not want him in jail. He be freed or given little time and she will enjoy money with him.

September 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Semper Fi don't hide

California just resumed executions! Lets start pushin the button and digging the holes.

September 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CPT

He is more than competent,He held a girl for 18 years,come on,I can't even believe that they are even cinsidering this BS argument. He fooled multiple parole officers for 18 years,18 YEARS,He is way more than competent and is just trying to delay his trial because he knows the jury is not going to buy ANYTHING HE HAS TO SAY,AND HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THERE GOING TO DO,GUILTY AND DEATH. Prayers are wih Jaycee and her family.

September 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. louis de

Swift justice fry him. I want to see him get molested for 18 years. My daughter went through a guy touching her. I need cash to help fry him.

September 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |